Alaska Cruises???

Schnitztx

We are planning to do an Alaska Cruise July or August of 2010. We generally cruise Carnival (we have three kids) but, personally prefer Royal Caribbean.

Here's the question (ok questions) :confused:

Which Alaska route is best?

Which Cruise line has the best Alaskan route?

We plan on getting two adjoining balcony cabins, is it better to get the extended balcony on the front of the ship (i.e. Carnival) or go with the side of the ship?

Hope you can help!

Thanks!

--Debi

debi@thinkdebi.com

Check out the airfare. Roundtrip air is going to be less expensive than starting in, say, Vancouver and ending in Seward.

We went in 2007 flew into Vancouver and left out of Anchorage $551pp.

This year we flew roundtrip Seattle $240+taxes/pp.

Both were on Alaskan Airlines, the exact same time of year.

We went on HAL. Princess and HAL seem to own a lot of the tour trade. My in-laws went on Carnival.

In 2007 we had an OV for three and thoroughly loved it. This year we had a SA Suite for four. Friends were next door and we had a HUGE balcony.

Alaska is beautiful, enjoy!

I went on the Vancouver, BC to Seward trip on the HAL. Every cruise line that does the one way trips pretty much calls at the same ports and does the same things. There really are not that many choices for ports. I enjoyed the trip and spent another 10 days in Alaska self touring. I had been on vacation to Alaska twice before that on land tours and knew where I wanted to go and do in Alaska. The one way trip fit what I wanted to do. You can go either on the north leg or south leg of course or you could do a two week B2B.

The other choice is to do a round trip cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver, BC. You will visit the same ports as the one way trip because again there really are not that many ports available. What you will not see is the glaciers closer to Seward. That part was simply breath taking.

You can fly into Seattle and take the train to Vancouver, BC or you can fly into Vancouver, BC. It is usually cheaper to fly into Seattle from other US airports. Vancouver was a beautiful city. I arrived several days before the cruise and did a self tour (my favorite method) of Vancouver jumping on and off the trolley at various points.

The next time I do this trip, I am going on the Princess. No more HAL until I am at least 80 years old and can fit in with the other pax better.

BTW I forgot to take my binoculars so that I can watch the Russians while in Alaska.

27.gif

You have many options to choose from.

One option is to do what is called an inside passage round trip cruise which will usually leave/return from Vancourver or Seattle. It is a good way to see Alaska for the first time. I would recommend leaving/returning out of Vancouver. A couple of cruise lines I would recommend for this one are Princess and Celebrity.

Another option is to spend additional time in Alaska before or after your cruise. I would recommend after. This would involve taking say a Northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward. A few of the cruse lines have been in Alaska for quite a long time and offer some extensive land packages. They are Princess, Celebrity and Holland America.

As mentioned there is an Alaska Ports of Call Board with lots of interesting information.

Keith

The advantage of the one way trips is that you have the option for an inland tour either before or after your cruise depending on which direction you sail.

The disadvantage is the airfare, because you can't do a RT but have to do two one way flights.

We were on the Radiance northbound last summer and truly loved it. All that glass on the Radiance allowed for great views.

Archived