Is there a kettle in the cabin?

Sprock&Karen

Can't speak for the Star but on the Gem there was a Coffee Maker in a Mini Suite and on the Jade a very posh machine that struggled to make hot enough water for tea. We take a small dual voltage kettle with us and get milk from the buffet. We always take our own teabags, yes I know, very sad.

We were on the Star in November. You will have a 4 cup MrCoffee type coffee maker. Just heat water in it and use the tea bags you'll find in your cabin - or pick some up when you go to the Garden Cafe.

But they dont boil the water so you won't get a decent cup of tea.

I'm also another one that takes their own tea-bags. The ones on board are not great quality.

:(Sadly,there doesn't seem to be any way of making a proper cuppa tea, only hot water flavoured with a tea bag,(and yes, take your own!!). BUT-when Jade was sailing round the U.K. last June we met 3 people who'd asked for a kettle and received one instead of the coffee maker.We just made the occasional one with the machine & good, strong Yorkshire Tea! Enjoy-jocap.

Do you think the hot water tap on the coffee urns in the buffet line are hot enough for a "proper cup of Yorkshire tea?" Does a kettle produce hotter water? BTW, we always bring our own bag of teas. NCL had Lipton brand in 2007 and 2008. Awful.

No, the water from the urns isn't boiling so it's just "pretend" tea-as I say-tea-flavoured hot water! "Yorkshire Tea" is a brand made by Betty's of Harrogate, which provides for hard water or soft, depending on where you live. To be honest, it doesn't worry us when we're on holiday because we just accept that things will be different from home and enjoy!-we're on a cruise after all, a million miles difference from the old 2 weeks on the Spanish Costas. AND I CAN'T WAIT-5 weeks to Jade again! Happy cruising-jocap.

:(Sadly,there doesn't seem to be any way of making a proper cuppa tea, only hot water flavoured with a tea bag,(and yes, take your own!!). BUT-when Jade was sailing round the U.K. last June we met 3 people who'd asked for a kettle and received one instead of the coffee maker.We just made the occasional one with the machine & good, strong Yorkshire Tea! Enjoy-jocap.

I was going to say I would have sworn that I had read where you could ask for a kettle and have it delivered. They really do try to cater to the international crowd they attract.

Do you think the hot water tap on the coffee urns in the buffet line are hot enough for a "proper cup of Yorkshire tea?" Does a kettle produce hotter water? BTW, we always bring our own bag of teas. NCL had Lipton brand in 2007 and 2008. Awful.

Hey.. Granted..Lipton may not be good for hot tea, but without it those of us in the Southern US would not be able to have our beloved iced tea.. After all, it is the house wine of the South.. 8-)

We were on the Star in November. You will have a 4 cup MrCoffee type coffee maker. Just heat water in it and use the tea bags you'll find in your cabin - or pick some up when you go to the Garden Cafe.

This is exactly what we do and it works fine every time. The water temp is plenty hot for us.

My daughter taught me this trick when she was 10 years old while making hot chocolate.

No, the water from the urns isn't boiling so it's just "pretend" tea-as I say-tea-flavoured hot water! "Yorkshire Tea" is a brand made by Betty's of Harrogate, which provides for hard water or soft, depending on where you live.

LOVE Betty's and Taylor's of Harrogate! I brought home such a big foil bag of Betty's tea in my suitcase that I was sure I'd be stopped for transporting munitions of some kind. On the East Coast, we can finally get PGTips and Yorkshire tea locally at Wegmans, and you can order Taylors of Harrogate tea from Baltimore Coffee and Tea (http://www.baltcoffee.com/catalog/).

When I ordered room-service tea on the Jewel, they just brought hot water and generic tea bags instead of brewed tea, so I began liberating the good tea bags from the buffet and library. Gotta have my tea in the morning! :)

Archived