Tobago in an afternoon (what to see?)

skybosun

Just noticed that our ship (OV2) only docks at Tobago between 1230 and 1700 (on a weekday). Any recs for what to see in that time without missing departure. Is there much around the port to see or is Pigeon Point do-able?

• 4 weeks later...

Take a look at mytobago.info for information on what to do. You may want to book an independent tour. I'm going in February and booked a private tour for 2 of us with Wayne Gray (see waynesworld-tours.com) at waynegray23@hotmail.com. Certified tour guide (and bird guide) and recommended on some boards. He's working around our schedule (windsurf cruise) and gave us a good price whether 2 or up to 6 people.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...
Take a look at mytobago.info for information on what to do. You may want to book an independent tour. I'm going in February and booked a private tour for 2 of us with Wayne Gray (see waynesworld-tours.com) at waynegray23@hotmail.com. Certified tour guide (and bird guide) and recommended on some boards. He's working around our schedule (windsurf cruise) and gave us a good price whether 2 or up to 6 people.

Linda

Can you tell me who you're doing your windsurf cruise through? We would really like to go out on a catamaran in Tobago. Any suggestions?

Can you tell me who you're doing your windsurf cruise through? We would really like to go out on a catamaran in Tobago. Any suggestions?

We're going on Windstar's Wind Surf cruise for the week. Their cruises stop on the north end of the island (so we're doing a rainforest tour with Wayne Gray), though most cruises stop on the south end where there seem to be more water activities.

If you don't see anything on mytobago.info, look also at http://www.skyviews.com/tobago which has a lot of tour companies listed.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

FYI - Just got back from Wind Surf cruise which stopped in Tobago. The island was beautiful and very non-touristy (at least in the north) - we had a great tour with Wayne Gray (Waynesworld-tours.com) and would recommend him highly - saw some incredible birds and insects in the rainforest, went swimming at Argyle Falls and he did a nice tour around other beautiful spots on the island for a very reasonable price. He picked us up in Charlotteville on the north end of the island but also will pickup at the south end of the island. He does tours that include snorkling as well (some others on the cruise said the snorkling on the north end of Tobago was better than on all of the other islands we went to!) Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the great info on Waynesworld-tours.com in Tobago. Wayne replied quickly about or upcoming April cruise. He quoted us a very reasonable price (much lower) than other companies. Is this what you encountered as well. I almost do not believe the price. It is half of what I was quoted from other companies.

The island was beautiful and very non-touristy (at least in the north)

Some others on the cruise said the snorkling on the north end of Tobago

was better than on all of the other islands we went to!

The Northern half of Tobago is quite un-developed, and long may it remain that way!

Most of the hotels and 'civilization' are at the Southern extreme of the island,

-certainly on its the Southern half.

Not surprising to hear that the quality of snorkelling up the North end is great

- there's little if any human impact on the near-shore marine environment up that way (that's why!)

Some day cruise lines will wise-up to Tobago

and start doing full-day stops there --it's quite unlike throbbing Trinidad

-it's the unloved sister-isle of the two ;)

Hi

Thanks for the great info on Waynesworld-tours.com in Tobago. Wayne replied quickly about or upcoming April cruise. He quoted us a very reasonable price (much lower) than other companies. Is this what you encountered as well. I almost do not believe the price. It is half of what I was quoted from other companies.

Yes - he was much cheaper than another recommended tour guide I had emailed and Wayne spent most of the day with us (did a "combo" rainforest/sites tour for $50 pp). But note that his tour did not include admissions (around $8 USD pp for entrance to Arglye Falls, and $4 USD pp to rent rubber boots for the rainforest walk - it's muddy) so bring change if you can (otherwise, you'll get your change in TT money).

He has his own small car (fits only 4 comfortably), but we let him know another couple from the boat was joining us, so he had a "trainee" tour guide drive the other couple in a separate car and we met up at each stop. They were happy with him too (Marvin). Wayne said he has access to a van if necessary.

Bring binoculars for the bird watching! You may also want to bring insect repellent for the rainforest walk (though it didn't seem too bad). Also, bring water shoes or waterproof sandals for the falls - it was a little rough walking out to the falls.

Argyle Falls had changing booths, btw, so we could change into our bathing suits there.

I'm sure you'll have a great time -- Wayne even took pictures of us swimming at the falls with our digital camera and our movie camera that came out great! Email me if you want me to send you some pics from the tour or have any other questions.

Linda

Thanks Linda,

We were a little worried since wayne told us $180 dollars for 3 of us including all the fees. I thought that was very reasonable since others were quoting $100 per person.

Thanks for the tips on the water shoes for the falls. Did you snorkel as well?

Thanks Linda,

We were a little worried since wayne told us $180 dollars for 3 of us including all the fees. I thought that was very reasonable since others were quoting $100 per person.

Thanks for the tips on the water shoes for the falls. Did you snorkel as well?

That is a good price, esp. if he has to drive from Speyside where he lives to the south end of the island to get you (over an hour drive). Your tour may be different than ours was if you're arriving in the south.

No - we didn't snorkel. The tour took most of our day so we didn't have time. In the north (Wind Surf goes to Charlotteville), I think people went to Pirate's Bay or Speyside to snorkel. In the south, Wayne said Buccoo Reef has been damaged quite a bit. Here's a site that reviews the snorkeling places in Tobago: http://www.exploretobago.com/tobago/snorkeling.stm

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Just reporting back as promised. . . our day sail with Sand Dollar was absolutely fantastic! We went out with Capt. Markus, and he was an excellent host. It was so nice to have the sailboat to just us. Especially after all of the other crowds. It was a nice respite from the hustle of other ports. Would be glad to share contact info with anyone that's interested in booking with him.

• 7 months later...

wayne told us $180 dollars for 3 of us including all the fees. I thought that was very reasonable since others were quoting $100 per person.

He's quoting me $80 per person for a rainforest and argyll falls tour, but it looks like the cruise ship offers a similar trip for $65. I prefer private operators, but we're all pinching pennies these days...

Anyone know what the difference is between Wayne and the cruiseship tour?

He's quoting me $80 per person for a rainforest and argyll falls tour, but it looks like the cruise ship offers a similar trip for $65. I prefer private operators, but we're all pinching pennies these days...

Anyone know what the difference is between Wayne and the cruiseship tour?

Wayne's tour includes all charges to the water fall and lunch at the tree house resturant in speyside....the tour would include a visit to plymouth for the mystry tomb stone,fort james then into arnose vale to view the old sugar factory from the 18th century after we proceed to the caribbean side of tobago to view some of the beautiful villages and beaches like english man's bay,castara,palatuveir and then a short nature walk into the oldest rainforest in the western hemisphere to view the birds and learn a little about the nature,from there we proceed to speyside to the tree house resturant for lunch.

After lunch he goes to the argyle water falls and to fort king george.

Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

Archived