Received an Upgrade!!

trishaedge

I just wanted to post this so that any who want to try this will know that it works! My husband and I will be cruising on the NCL Dream on 12/12/04 for our first cruise. We booked a guaranteed oceanview cabin and where assigned a fully obstructed oceanview cabin. I had my travel agent call NCL and try to get us an upgrade. NCL offered us a porthole room but we decided to wait it out, that was in mid Oct. I called my TA again yesterday and she called NCL again, they gave us an unobstructed oceanview cabin on the promenade deck for no charge. We are really excited and thought others might want to try this!

I just wanted to post this so that any who want to try this will know that it works! My husband and I will be cruising on the NCL Dream on 12/12/04 for our first cruise. We booked a guaranteed oceanview cabin and where assigned a fully obstructed oceanview cabin. I had my travel agent call NCL and try to get us an upgrade. NCL offered us a porthole room but we decided to wait it out, that was in mid Oct. I called my TA again yesterday and she called NCL again, they gave us an unobstructed oceanview cabin on the promenade deck for no charge. We are really excited and thought others might want to try this!

We had an unobstructed oceanview cabin on the Promenade Deck on the Dream and loved it. While our first choice is a balcony, this deck is nice because you have the picture window and when you want some fresh air, just go out your door and down the hall and viola, you are outside. Not a big deal, but be sure to close your curtains, especially at night and if you are going to change clothes during the day, cuz curious people walking on the Promenade Deck can see in.

trishaedge....congrats on your upgrade....an oceanview is definetly nicer than an inside or an obstructed view...(I've had inside rooms, they are ok..I can deal with them, but oceanview, definitely is a plus and a benefit...)

We are going on the ship for two weeks starting next Sunday...11/21...we are very excited...we are counting down the days and hours...

The Dream is a nice ship....it's older...not all the glitz and glamour of the newer ships...but we love the Dream....we've already booked our 2005 cruise on the Dream next Dec for 2 weeks out of Houston...

I am happy to see you excited about the Dream and your room...you'll have a great time...

Best Regards...

I have my TA working on an upgrade for our January POA cruise, but he said that NCL isn't budging as of yet. I even offered to pay if the price was "reasonable." They also haven't confirmed our flights, which I am anxiously waiting for as I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

JKRISLC,

I also am trying to work an upgrade/room move for that same cruise. I was upgraded from GTY K to II, however my brother's room is on the exact opposite end of the ship one floor down. I have offered to pay for a reasonable upgrade if it could move me half a ship closer. i have heard nothing yet. I am also waiting on flight info since I need to book a connecting flight. NCL has indicated that they will not book the flight for at least one more week. My brother already has his docs but he did not book airfare through NCL.

Tom

It's pretty frustrating, Lakey, as the reservation system shows availability in the higher categories. I'm booked into a category I'm happy with (midship ocean view), but thought I'd take a shot at an upgrade. I would have preferred a true ocean view cabin than a porthole, however.

The thing I'm most anticipating is the flight schedule. Others from San Diego have been on direct, morning flights that put them in Hawaii about 12:30 pm. That would be ideal for me since we have three days there before. If memory serves, you come in Friday, correct?

I just want to start planning and want to know if I'll have any time that first day/afternoon or not. At the time (a year ago), I couldn't beat NCL's price for air. Of course now, I could have gotten the flights I wanted for about $50 less per person, but the "cancellation" fee would have cost me that and then I'd have to deal with the transportation and those expenses. What's really wierd, however, was that NCL didn't book me right away because they weren't sure that had flights and rooms available for then (this time last year) and it took them a few days to confirm, so you'd think they'd already have something tentative planned. However, my TA said NCL wasn't going to assign air for at least a couple of weeks, so I hope your estimate is better than mine.

Have you made any plans for your precruise? We're doing Germaine's Luau the on New Year's Eve and probably Pearl Harbor that morning as we'll likely be up early since we'll still be on mainland time. We want to do Diamond Head and Haumuna (sp?) Bay, but haven't yet decided when (we'll squeeze it in somewhere). I believe someone on the Hawaii board said Diamond Head was open on Thanksgiving, so I'm going to call to see if it is open on New Years. That evening, we have dinner planned at Cabanas (Mandarin Oriental Hotel).

As for the islands, we've booked a few things on our own (Hawaii Movie Tour and Atlantis Submarine in Maui and Body Glove snorkeling in Kona using EB coupons), but haven't been able to find many other options as far as independent tours go. Most pickup too early for the ship on the days we want, so we'll probably end up doing Volcanoes National Park and Hana with NCL.

Any insight on your part would be helpful.

NCL customer service told my TA that they would not book air until 21 days before. My TA then spoke to NCL air booking folks and explained that I needed to book connecting flights and that is when they committed to booking by November 20th. I am not sure it is truly a commitment, I fully expect to be upset at someone on November 21st.

As far as precruise trips go, we are planning the Polynesian cultural center on January 1st. Pearl Harbor on either the 31st, 2nd, or post cruise. Still looking for New Years Eve reservations somewhere. We have a rental car everywhere except Kona and the second day of Kauai. Tours planned include Body Glove Snorkel in Kona, Molokini Snuba, and possibly old lahaina luau. We also plan on touring Road to Hana, Volcano National Park, and Waimea Canyon on our own.

Tom

NCL customer service told my TA that they would not book air until 21 days before. My TA then spoke to NCL air booking folks and explained that I needed to book connecting flights and that is when they committed to booking by November 20th. I am not sure it is truly a commitment, I fully expect to be upset at someone on November 21st.

As far as precruise trips go, we are planning the Polynesian cultural center on January 1st. Pearl Harbor on either the 31st, 2nd, or post cruise. Still looking for New Years Eve reservations somewhere. We have a rental car everywhere except Kona and the second day of Kauai. Tours planned include Body Glove Snorkel in Kona, Molokini Snuba, and possibly old lahaina luau. We also plan on touring Road to Hana, Volcano National Park, and Waimea Canyon on our own.

Tom

If you're thinking about a luau, you might consider Germaine's that night. With a coupon, were paying less than $40 including the meals, three alcoholic drinks, unlimited nonalcoholic drinks, the show, and transportation.

We haven't yet decided when we are doing Pearl Harbor for sure. If we have a late return flight on the 9th, we might opt to do it that morning; otherwise, we'll probably due it on the 31st. The 1st is a bit of a kicker because of it being an observed holiday, so we'll probably do the beach that day.

Are you planning on doing the Hana drive yourself? We've considered it, but I really want to enjoy the sites without dealing with the 58 one-lane bridges, 600+ curves, etc. In addition, I live quite a ways from my work (about 135 miles one way), so driving is the last thing I want to do on vacation.

We are probably only going to do one luau on Oahu and really want to do Polynesian Cultural Center. My concern on New Years Eve is how easy it will be to get around. I have heard Waikiki is very crowded that night. We will likely make a reservation within walking distance of the hotel. I am doing Hana on my own. We want to set our own pace and am not afraid of the drive...actually looking forward to it.

Tom

We had an unobstructed oceanview cabin on the Promenade Deck on the Dream and loved it. While our first choice is a balcony, this deck is nice because you have the picture window and when you want some fresh air, just go out your door and down the hall and viola, you are outside. Not a big deal, but be sure to close your curtains, especially at night and if you are going to change clothes during the day, cuz curious people walking on the Promenade Deck can see in.

Sorry, but your statement about people seeing in the windows is incorrect. Every cabin I have stayed in on a deck such as the Promenade has 1-way windows- meaning you can see out, but anyone looking in is basically looking into a mirror. Maybe if you have a real pervert who has their face right up to the window, purposely looking in, they may be able to see shadows, but nothing more!

I have my TA working on an upgrade for our January POA cruise, but he said that NCL isn't budging as of yet. I even offered to pay if the price was "reasonable." They also haven't confirmed our flights, which I am anxiously waiting for as I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Even w/ all of the horrible reviews over the past few months, the POA is still in great demand... Maybe there is just nothing available above what you've booked into, therefore there is nothing to upgrade to. Also, NCL usually assigns their air schedules within 30 days to sailing, so just hold tight. Oh, & also be aware that about 95% of flights dep HNL to the mainland leave in the late evenings- usually between 7p-9p... & it has nothing to do with NCL, it's the airlines

Thanks, Niya305.

I'm aware that I'm at the mercy of NCL, but Hawaiian Airlines actually has great service from San Diego with very good flight times. I'm just hoping that I'm as lucky as the previous San Diego poster in terms of scheduling. It's always a crap shoot with cruise air, but given that the precruise is between the holidays I didn't want to risk being stuck with expensive airfare. As such, I opted for the NCL air. Of course, Hawaiian then had a sale, which put them just under NCL's price (but of course without transportation).

As for upgrades, I only asked by TA to check into it because I saw quite a few balconies were available through NCL's booking engine, although they are slowly disappearing. I'm fine with a porthole and would have even taken an inside cabin had it been significantly cheaper than the EE we have. I'm more concerned about location. Given that we overnight in two of the ports, I really couldn't justify the expense of the balcony. In Alaska, that was a different story, and if I ever cruise the canal I know I'll want a balcony.

Sorry, but your statement about people seeing in the windows is incorrect. Every cabin I have stayed in on a deck such as the Promenade has 1-way windows- meaning you can see out, but anyone looking in is basically looking into a mirror. Maybe if you have a real pervert who has their face right up to the window, purposely looking in, they may be able to see shadows, but nothing more!
That's true as long as there's more light outside than inside the cabin. At night, when there's more light inside the cabin than outside of it, the one-way mirror effect is diminished quite a bit. Actually, that's the way all one-way mirrors work - they only function properly if there's less light on the side that is supposed to be able to see through the glass!

;) Carolyn

That's true as long as there's more light outside than inside the cabin. At night, when there's more light inside the cabin than outside of it, the one-way mirror effect is diminished quite a bit. Actually, that's the way all one-way mirrors work - they only function properly if there's less light on the side that is supposed to be able to see through the glass!
Absolutely! I've stayed in a promenade room on the Dream and during the day, one way glass. After dark, it's all out there for the world to see. And you could tell the people who thought it was one way glass all the time...those people left their curtains open and you could walk by and see women in mid dress with curlers in their hair and their husbands in boxer shorts.

Always always always close the window curtain if you even suspect that the sun is going down.

I'm assigned #7044. Is it obstructed, how did you know? I'm also on my first cruise. Have you two received tags for your luggage, or anything from NCL? Thanks, irishjohn

Irishjohn,

You can go to www.ncl.com, click on fleet, click on the Dream, go to deck plans and click on the Promenade deck. You will be able to see your room. I checked and it does not look obstructed. We received our tags and other documents but NCL said that it is not a big deal that we changed rooms, they will give us the right tags when we get there. Don't forget to fill out your pre-registration form on NCL's website and bring a copy with you. Hope this helps.

Hi

we are in room 6008.

How can we find out if it is obstructed ?:)

Since your cabin is below the lifeboats, your view will be unobstructed! As a general rule, anything below the Promenade deck is unobstructed, anything at or above Promenade had a chance of being obstructed. Enjoy your cruise, and the view!!!!!:)

If you'd like to see more, follow the advice in the post above, visit the ncl website, and click on "fleet", then on "Dream" or any vessel you want to know more about. Lots of info available there. Have a wonderful time on your trip.

Maybe I'm missing something or stupid, but I think I got a whale of a deal. i booked in July for the Sea with one of those internet companies for a guaranteed inside cabin(the cheapest thing they offered) I got my documents last night and according to the cabin number (3017) I have an ocean view!!! is this unusual???? can this be true? am i looking at something wrong...please tell me if I'm crazy,so I don't show up for the sailing and will be disappointed...

Just got off the Dream 11/21. My husband and I had a great time. We were on deck 6 inside cabin aft (forward). I am glad because the first 2 days the ship really rocked above the 7th floor.The doctor was busy and so was room service because noone wanted to go upstairs to the 10 or 11th floor to eat.It was just some rough wind and seas. The windows on the 6 floor are nicer than 7 where people are always walking around the deck and jogging starting at 8 am.We had friends on the 5th floor window and they said it wasn't that rough. If the roucking doesn't bother you go up high.

Aft is to the rear of the ship, forward is to the bow, front of the ship:D .

Sorry, I am a stickler for these things;)

Another thing that bothers me is when people say "boat", it is a "ship". A boat hangs off a ship, that is how you can distinguish the two. WHEW, boy am I glad that I got that off my chest:D

Archived