Sapphire Beach

wadecruiser

Does anyone know what is the best way to get to sapphire beach? i.e. cab and cost?

We booked ours with AirForce One. It was and still is $20 round trip per person. They picked us up right at the cruise terminal at time ship let us off and were there when we told them we wanted to leave the beach. We had a large vehicle all to ourselves. I will highly recommend Papa Bear to anyone who asks.

The snorkeling there was okay (not great but not bad). There was a restaurant/bar nearby the beach and marina. We went April 2008.

At Sapphire there is a small place a short walk from the shoreline that sells burgers, fish sandwich, beer/soda a few mixed drinks and a couple other things and also beach wait staff taking orders for the restaurant up at the condos (there is a minimum $ amount for that service).

Sapphire has a large area for snorkeling and diversity in what you see - there are sea grass beds on the left side (when facing the water) and there are fish in there and the possibility of seeing marine life that like sea grass such as conch, also turtles - but neither is a guarantee. On the right side there are rocky outcrops and also a large shallow rock/reef area with a lot of juvenile fish and further out deeper areas with coral, seafans and various fish. The closer snorkeling around the rocks and over sea grass beds are good for beginner adult and kids with assistance from adult. The very shallow areas should be avoided if you aren't very comfortable snorkeling and are not a very good swimmer because it is quite shallow and you need to stay floating/swimming parallel to the rocks to avoid possibly hurting yourself on the rocks and damaging coral and marine life by bumping or standing on them. You can snorkel around the ledges of the shallow area and stay in a regular depth of water; you'll see fish along the ledges and under them. You can go out toward and around the point of the peninsula, it’s very good snorkeling but it’s fairly deep and there is a current so keep that in mind.

--Islander

Love those pics! We have friends who stayed at Sapphire Beach years ago, and still can't stop raving about it. This will be our 5th. time on St. Thomas, so need to go up to Paradise Point and then to a beach. Think Sapphire is next on our list!

My understanding is due to management issues the restaurant/bar are closed at Sapphire. Can anyone who's been recently confirm? I've also heard good things about Secret Harbour and Coki.

You are correct I went in October and it was the case HOWEVER there is a guy with BIG HAIR that carry's menus down the beach and then hops on a scooter to bring food back. It is VERY EXPENSIVE but the only option. There is also a snorkel shop that is still operating but no food. The bathrooms are still there and working, all be it a little sketch.

My understanding is due to management issues the restaurant/bar are closed at Sapphire. Can anyone who's been recently confirm? I've also heard good things about Secret Harbour and Coki.

We went to Secret Harbor almost 2 weeks ago. The original plan was Sapphire, but the cab driver recommended Secret Harbor. It was $10 pp ow, same as Sapphire. Secret Harbor beach is a bit narrow (not a lot of distance from buildings to water) but it was quiet and quite nice. There's a restaurant right there and clean restrooms. It's part of a resort-don't know the name of it. Chairs were $5, we didn't use an umbrella. I saw others snorkeling, but since we didn't I can't comment on how good it is.

Have fun with whatever you decide!

You are correct I went in October and it was the case HOWEVER there is a guy with BIG HAIR that carry's menus down the beach and then hops on a scooter to bring food back. It is VERY EXPENSIVE but the only option. There is also a snorkel shop that is still operating but no food. The bathrooms are still there and working, all be it a little sketch.

Any ideas of the costs to rent the snorkel gear? I'm there later this month.

[quote=scuba214;1771

hi ...we will be in St Thomas in Feb......we are avid snorkelers and have snorkeled at almost all the reefs on St John on a landbased trip.....we also did SNUBA at Coki beach..very disappointed with the reef there......I loved your pictures ....are these reefs close to shore at Sapphire Beach?

we are looking for a low key day on St Thomas ..want to snorkel but trying to avoid the excursion boats...... Thanks, Marianne

At Sapphire there is a small grill just a short walk from the shore, they sell burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches - so that is another option in addition to the wait staff that walks around taking and delivering orders from the restaurant at the condos - which you can walk to and eat there, its just about 10-12 minute walk from the beach.

Snorkel gear rental at Sapphire is: full snorkel set is $10 a day, $5 an hour or $8 for 2 hours... those rates are from earlier last year.

--Islander

[quote name=scuba214;1771

we are looking for a low key day on St Thomas ..want to snorkel but trying to avoid the excursion boats...... Thanks' date=' Marianne[/quote]

Looking for the same here, low key and snorkeling. How far is Sapphire from the Crown bay Cruise ship terminal?

Also is Emerald Beach good for snorkeling?

Looking for the same here, low key and snorkeling. How far is Sapphire from the Crown bay Cruise ship terminal?

Also is Emerald Beach good for snorkeling?

From Crown Bay I think it would be about 25-30 min. I've never been to Emerald Beach, but would like to know this answer too!:D

we were "supposed" to go to emerald beach on our cruise a few weeks ago. after all my research this looked like the spot for us...(there were 8 of us). on the morning we were in st. thomas...there were 5 other ships in port (by the way i was on the rc independence.. adding 4,000 passengers to the island:D)

when we got into the van....i asked the driver (big mistake) his opinion of emerald vs. sapphire and he told me that with 5 ships in we should go to sapphire....(my only criteria was shade for my husband and bathrooms) so rather than sticking to my original idea we went to sapphire.

now this is only my opinion.........it wasn't that great:o 1st of all it was packed and there weren't any chairs to rent (all taken). after awhile some people left and we got their chairs. at the place where you can rent snorkel and dive equipment they also sell drinks. i saw people buying food from somewhere but we chose to wait and eat on the ship.

the worst part was the bathroom:eek: YIKES!!!!! we were there dec. 30. i cannot speak to how emerald would've been but i think that emerald is still a secret while more and more people know about sapphire.

Archived