Caribbean Cruise - Family of 5, Can't Decide

sdfamily

I'm having trouble limiting down my options for a Caribbean Cruise. We're looking at mid-October. We are a family of five with 3 boys who will be 11, 8, and 3 (hopefully potty trained).

Here's my options and the pro's and con's. We've previously cruised with Princess in Alaska. The kids were rather bored on the ship after the first sea day, but we chose it because of the itinerary and were rarely on the ship.

10/17 departures

Carnival Liberty, Eastern from Miami

Carnival Glory, Western from Orlando

NCL Pearl, Eastern from Miami

RCCL Liberty of the Seas from Miami

10/18 departures (means 1 less day from Disneyworld)

Carnival Legend, Western from Tampa

RCCL Freedom of the Seas, Eastern from Orlando

My questions are:

1) Is Eastern or Western better that time of the year?

2) On RCCL I can get a room (not a suite) to hold the 5 of us (FOV) and not book two rooms. On the other lines, I'll need two cabins (connecting). Any other tips for a family of 5?

3) Even though the 18th departures would take a day away from Disneyworld, we would avoid Miami and have less driving. We have annual passes to Disneyland. Any thoughts?

4) As our first cruise was on Princess (Coral), a much smaller ship, if I jump to the RCCL Freedom class, will it be hard to go back? Will I want to? ;)

Thanks for your help!

Ok- first of all, I would not plan a trip to the Caribbean between May-November if you want to avoid hurricane season. October would not be my first choice. I'd do a Caribbean cruise in late November- May. That's just my opinion. You are planning a cruise for 5 with airfare to Florida. Going during hurricane season is not the best move.

As for ships- get two adjoining cabins. Then you will have plenty of room, two televisions and two bathrooms. You will not find any standard cabins that hold five passengers.

As for size. There are pros and cons. Larger ships have more amenities but smaller ships offer more in customer service. But with kids- probably the bigger the better. More for them to do.

As for the cruise lines you mentioned. I think you will have an equally good time on Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean.

If you are doing Disney- then Port Canaveral is probably the best choice.

hold 5 per cabin; we are doing Fascination in 2 weeks. Not sure what other cabins do, but I think it is built before a certain year. We have done Glory, MIracle, and Celebration in the past couple of years (some with and some without kids) and the smaller were actually my favorite (Celebration and Miracle). Just feels more "homey". We did 5 in Miracle as well, but only in place, not on paper because we traveled with someone else and one of our kids was booked in their cabin, but stayed in our cabin (kids were 11, 6, and 35 months). Kids will be 14, 9, and 5 this cruise. We don't spend much time in the cabin, so the extra expense is not worth it if I can avoid it.

Carnival will take kids starting at age 2. My 35-month-old was trained at home, but starting having accidents on Carnival MIracle and the staff was great about it. She was trained once we returned home, so it was just the change in environment.

We have also cruised twice in Sept/Oct and once in Jan. There is a risk of change of ports, but I would not hesitate to sail in Sept/oct (actually we are considering one without kids then again). You need to be open to change of ports, although we had no problems with either of our fall cruises.

I prefer Eastern. Check out the CDC website for some of the western places. Costa Maya and Belize made us unable to donate blood for 1 year after visiting. Not saying not to do it, but educate yourself on the ports (I wish I had before I took my kids horseback riding in the rainforest in Belize).

Good luck choosing!

My kids have school break at the end of October. My original plan was to try to do Disneyworld while the crowds are less. Then...I thought why not tag a cruise onto the beginning of the trip.

Are the Eastern or Western routes effected by hurricanes more or less than the other one? I sounds like I'll just have to be flexible.

That's interesting about the CDC website, I'll be sure to check it out.

A hurricane can hit ANY part of the Caribbean/Atlantic at any time...even the meteorologists have no luck "predicting" those storms! You simply take your chances cruising during hurricane season! Buy cruise insurance, just in case!!!!

Ive done Disney in October and it was still pretty busy. Not summer time busy but many schools seem to have off for some reason around Halloween.

Most definately leave from Port C/Orlando vs. Miami.

I would say Freedom or Glory. Both have stuff on board the kids would enjoy.

My kids have school break at the end of October. My original plan was to try to do Disneyworld while the crowds are less. Then...I thought why not tag a cruise onto the beginning of the trip.

Are the Eastern or Western routes effected by hurricanes more or less than the other one? I sounds like I'll just have to be flexible.

That's interesting about the CDC website, I'll be sure to check it out.

Honestly- I think kids prefer the ship to the ports. In October, why not take advantage of an Alaskan cruise? The prices will be much cheaper- pools are heated, scenery is fantastic and they might learn something. It is also very easy for you to fly from San Diego to Seattle- where many of these cruises depart.

If that isn't an option and you want warm weather- do Hawaii or the Mexican Riviera.

I live on the East Coast and that's why I do the Caribbean. Quite frankly, an island is an island. It is great to get away from the cold but trapsing around Caribbean islands in stinky taxis buying junk is not worth flying across country for. You have closer, more cost-effective options. My son likes the ship- period. He rarely wants to get off and I largely agree.

And I have been to Alaska and Hawaii and they are both far superior to the Caribbean. I understand that Disney is part of the picture but why not just do Disneyland in California followed by a cruise out of Long Beach or LA? I think you would have just as much fun for much less. I just flew to Seattle to visit my mother and the flight to and fro wasted two full days of travel- missed school and work. By the way, I met a couple from San Francisco on a Caribbean cruise. They were at each other's throat's by the end. They started off happy but after 6 days of four people crammed into a cabin- with wet swimsuits, etc. etc... long flights, waiting at the airport all day to get home- they seriously regretted coming so far for a cruise.

I've been on both the Glory and the Pearl with boys around 3 years old. I enjoyed our NCL Pearl cruise more than the Carnival cruise. We did not have any issues with the kids programs on either (although some on this board have complained about NCL - especially since they take the kids out of the camp area "on parade"). Found rooms comparable (mini-suites on both). Kids just loved the bowling alley, wii, & waterslide on the Pearl.

We've cruised the W. and E. with the kids in Oct. It is luck of the draw - and we've always been lucky.

DO come try Disney World. We've been to Disney World 20 plus times (we are passholders) and went on our first Disneyland trip ever in November. You will have a blast comparing the differences between the two. Both are awesome - but unique in their own ways. Disney World is just much, much larger (as I am sure you know). You can easily spend a week or more and still not do everything. Your boys will also enjoy the water parks at DW. Let me know if if I can help you with any info.

The port of Tampa and Cape Canaveral are both only about 1 - 1.5 hour easy drive from Orlando (much easier than what you are used to driving in Cali). I agree with poster above, avoid Miami if you can. It is much further and I think embarkation tends to take longer. It will just be a bigger hassle with the boys.

The islands will not be as "majestic" as Alaska or Hawaii (or IMHO much of the west, Colorado, Montanta, etc.) BUT they are truly one of my fave places to visit. The crystal clear water, laid back lifestyle, fabulous accents, spicy food, reggae music...and each has its own culture and fun things to see and do. We've done much of the eastern (and southern) car. and have loved it all. We are going on our 1st western car. cruise next month (but have been to several of the ports before). (Just read your post again - we are going on Carnival Legend on 2/15 - will post our review when we get back!)

If you go during hurricane season, DO consider buying trip insurance. The ships are pretty good at going "around" the storms though and often just visit alternative ports of call. Just be aware that in the fall, it is a possibility and make the best of it should it occur.

I probably prefer eastern and if you are from CA, I think you might also. Western it. cruises often go to Mexico and you are already so close at home. My kids like a couple of sea days but love getting off at ports to do excursions. We plan our entire cruise around excursions and meals - we are "active" types and foodies!

Whatever you decide, have fun! And welcome to the east coast!:)

We just returned from a cruise with our three children. We took the advice of some of the posters on this board and got two cabins rather than put 5 in a room. It was nice to have two bathrooms. It was nice to have a place for the older kids to watch a movie before going to bed while the younger one went to sleep earlier. When someone explained to me that 5 to a cabin means the equivalent of 2 sets of bunk beds and a roll away bed ... that sounded kind of crowded. It really didn't cost that much more. Good luck.

Given the hurricane issue, I think I'll focus more on the ship and less on the ports.

The Royal Caribbean Freedom class ships sure look nice. We've done Mexico and Hawaii several times. Nothing can beat Hawaii and we're not looking for that. Maybe just spending some time at the ship pool and some snorkeling will suit us best. I've been to St. Thomas before, but the rest of the fam has not. Maybe the Eastern itinerary is for us.

My oldest will only have the October break for 2 more times, so we definitely want to hit Disneyworld during one of these breaks. I spent alot of time in Tampa pre-kids and loved Epcot. It has such a different vibe than Disneyworld. We definitely want to visit there.

I will consider trip insurance. We are using miles for the flights.

I think we'll probably end up with connecting balcony cabins instead of a cabin for 5. We had a balcony in Alaska, and I can't imagine not having one. I'll just have to lecture the boys........

Thanks for all your suggestions!

There are some balcony cabins on Carnival that connect to a porthole stateroom on some ships. Usually these sell out quickly, but it's worth a try to get one. It will save you some money and peace of mind.

If you do end up getting 2 balcony cabins, you may want to put an adult in each at night...just in case.

Did you check out Disney's Magic for that week? We returned this October from that cruise (W. Caribbean) and our kids (6 and 9) LOVED it. Their first cruise - but the problem will be getting them to go on something other than Disney now. Port Canaveral is easy to get to from Orlando and it was our best cruise yet as well (our 6th). I would think with the ages of your kids, they would all enjoy it and I think the October prices are pretty reasonable right now. As for cruising during October (hurricanes), we did just fine and I'd do it again. We also have an October school break.

Good luck with your choice!

I much prefer the family oceanviews on RCCL's ships to 2 connecting rooms. They are significantly larger than the larger balcony staterooms. There is more floor space to spread out. I can see the kids at all times as well as all their stuff. I need to be able to do that to make sure everyone and everything is accounted for.

There are separate semi-private sleeping areas for 4 - 2 bunkbeds, one sofabed and one regular bed which can be 2 twins or 1 queen. Each of these are separated by a privacy curtain except for the 2 bunkbeds which are of course separated by the bed. My 2 oldest were 8 and 11 when we first sailed in one and they loved the bunkbeds. It was like they had their own rooms, even though they were in a relatively small space, they couldn't see each other. :p

The Freedom class RCI ships are both fantastic! Either Freedom or Liberty would be my choice. We have also cruised several times in October(once on Freedom) and have cruised on both these ships. I also went to Disneyworld this past October. There is Halloween Horror nights at Universal(I wouldn't reccomend for your age children). Epcot in October has a wine and food festival with additional booths set up from countries throughout the world. Snorkeling in Eastern Caribbean is great. As for the ships.........both have the flowrider, H2O zone(water park), ice skating rink with complimentary ice shows, mall feeling on promenade deck with parades a couple of times weekly. I agree with the posters on NOT having your children in a separate cabin. We met a family who enjoyed their family balcony stateroom, and they had three older children who were old enough to be in their own cabin. Enjoy whatever you decide......

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! It's always a toss up, isn't it!

I actually considered a Emerald Princess itinerary (being previous Princess cruisers) ...but after realizing that they would be serving the same food in the dining room, I passed! Not that the food was not good, but we ran for the Chinese restaurants in Vancouver when we got off the ship.

We can't get the pricing or the rooms on the Royal Caribbean Freedom class ships that I want, but we'll keep trying!

We are a family of 6 and just went on carnival truimph for thanksgiving and had two balconys next to each other ,my kids are 22,16,14,11.

They had a great time, i would suggest getting the two balconys , plenty of room for everyone.Kids clubs were Great!!!!

We can't get the pricing or the rooms on the Royal Caribbean Freedom class ships that I want, but we'll keep trying!

You will have to call to get pricing on the family rooms. Because they usually require a minimum of 5 people to book, they almost always show up as N/A online because the maximum you can book online is 4.

You will have to call to get pricing on the family rooms. Because they usually require a minimum of 5 people to book, they almost always show up as N/A online because the maximum you can book online is 4.

Same for Carnival. Because we are a family of 5 also theres basically only 1 category of cabin on most ships that accomodate 5 persons in a room. It says they have the cabins online but you can not access them for pricing.

Just to give you a rough estimate, our 7 day cruise total for 5 persons will be around $3k.

Archived