Rip tides

cfc525

Can anyone tell me what they know about rip tides in Bermuda, I didn't know about that the last time I was there and wish I didn't know now. I'm now very fearful to go in the water. How afraid should I really be? Please help!

Rip tides or currents can occur anywhere. They're caused by something in the underwater topography that allows water to flow away from shore faster than normal. While they can be strong, a rip current usually isn't very wide. It's easy to escape from one by swimming paralell to the shore.

I wouldn't worry about rip tides; there is plenty of other stuff in the ocean that's more likely to getcha....sharks, cone shells, jellyfish, oh the list goes on and on! :)

If you think you're caught in a Rip Tide, swim PARALLEL to the shore, until you feel the current subside, then swim into shore. Rip currents (they're not really "tides") are only a few yards wide. Folks freak out, because they feel like they're being swept out to sea. A Rip current will only take you so far....it goes perpendicular to the coastline. If you swim to the left or right (along the shore line), you will escape it's "pull", and can swim back in.

Do NOT worry about this! If there are currents that aren't good for swimmers, they will tell you not to swim! Watch out for the "flags" that most beaches and lifeguards post. In the Caribbean waters, with little surf, you should not have a problem!

Geeeeees!!! Thanks for making me feel better, at least now I know ahead of time I'll have my leg taken off first by a shark...before I drown in the rip tide. ;-(

LOL! Don't worry too much, someone was haveing a little fun with you. The Carribean is a pretty gentle area compared to some of the world's oceans.

You aren't real likely to have any issues so long as you keep your wits about you.

If you happen to be caught in a rip current then you should just relax and allow the ocean to pull you until you can break away, then swim back to shore. I am a super strong swimmer and was a lifeguard for several years, but the thought of this still scares me.

The BEST way to deal with a rip current is to stay out of the ocean when this condition exists. There aren't rip currents all of the time, just when certain weather conditions exist. It is always best to try to swim where there are life guards, find out about the conditions, and if you can't get info on either, then don't go out further than knee-deep.

Archived