HAL Cancelled our 2010 Cruise... I have questions

mikjr

Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Years!!

We received notice from our TA that HAL cancelled our January 2010 cruise through the Panama Canal, R/T out of San Diego. We were booked on the Statendam.

HAL offered the same cruise with several different date options on the Maasdam. They said we could transfer the booking, and also offered us an "onboard credit"

My question is... is the OB credit offered in the cancel letter given to us because our cruise was cancelled, AND is it in addition to the original OB credit we received when we booked onboard?

Also... I realize the Stantendam and Maasdam appear to be basically the same, but I'm curious to know if there are any differences?? Anyone that's sailed both ships... is there a preference?

I would imagine that all pricing, incentives on your original cruise will be transferred in addition to OB credit being offered for the change inconvenience. But get your TA to confirm.

We have been on both ships. Not to worry.

My question is... is the OB credit offered in the cancel letter given to us because our cruise was cancelled, AND is it in addition to the original OB credit we received when we booked onboard?

They chartered the Veendam sailing we were on next September and we made it with the book onboard deposit.

I was told that everything would follow over and it did. I got the confirmation to prove it.:D

Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Years!!

We received notice from our TA that HAL cancelled our January 2010 cruise through the Panama Canal, R/T out of San Diego. We were booked on the Statendam.

HAL offered the same cruise with several different date options on the Maasdam. They said we could transfer the booking, and also offered us an "onboard credit"

Also... I realize the Stantendam and Maasdam appear to be basically the same, but I'm curious to know if there are any differences?? Anyone that's sailed both ships... is there a preference?

We were on the Feb. 12 Sailing out of San Diego on the Statendam for a Panama Canal cruise on the Statendam. This was cancelled as well. My TA spent more than an hour on the phone with HAL talking to four different people. They finally agreed to honor the original fare and gave us some onboard credit. It was combined with the credit we had for booking while on board.

We are now on the January 22, 2010 sailing on the Maasdam. The OBC in no way makes up for the amount of money I lost on this cancellation. We had booked a timeshare exchange to use the week prior to the cruise. We lost the week at our home resort and the maintence fee, as well as the exhchange fee. We cannot use that week and we lost it. The OBC that HAL gave us does not even come close to the $1000 I lost. HAL will not budge.

We were on the Feb. 12 Sailing out of San Diego on the Statendam for a Panama Canal cruise on the Statendam. This was cancelled as well. My TA spent more than an hour on the phone with HAL talking to four different people. They finally agreed to honor the original fare and gave us some onboard credit. It was combined with the credit we had for booking while on board.

We are now on the January 22, 2010 sailing on the Maasdam. The OBC in no way makes up for the amount of money I lost on this cancellation. We had booked a timeshare exchange to use the week prior to the cruise. We lost the week at our home resort and the maintence fee, as well as the exhchange fee. We cannot use that week and we lost it. The OBC that HAL gave us does not even come close to the $1000 I lost. HAL will not budge.

Are you with RCI? If so, maybe they would be willing to address your problem. Officially they don't, but on two separate occasions over the last number of years we have had to cancel a timeshare week due to family illnesses, and on both occasions RCI has allowed us to rebook our week. The only money we lost was the original $150 search fee, which was reasonable.

Statendam and Maasdam are sister ships (along with Veendam and Ryndam). Statendam came out first and then Maasdam. We sail Maasdam a great deal and when Statendam first came out sailed her a number of times. Love those "S" class ships.

The OBC is probably a small courtesy saying sorry for cancelling your cruise. Seeing as it is so far out, I'm sure it isn't a giant inconvenience.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time on Statendam.

Are you with RCI? If so, maybe they would be willing to address your problem. Officially they don't, but on two separate occasions over the last number of years we have had to cancel a timeshare week due to family illnesses, and on both occasions RCI has allowed us to rebook our week. The only money we lost was the original $150 search fee, which was reasonable.

The timeshare is with Interval International. I have tried without success. Will call again and see if I get a different person and a different response. As for RCI, once there was a hurricane at the resort we exchanged into and the resort closed. RCI did not do a thing for us. Just said it was too bad. Fortunately, we live in SC and the resort was in Florida so there was no airfare involved. But lost the week and the fee on that one. I have since dropped RCI.

Terri

As for RCI, once there was a hurricane at the resort we exchanged into and the resort closed. RCI did not do a thing for us. Just said it was too bad. Fortunately, we live in SC and the resort was in Florida so there was no airfare involved. But lost the week and the fee on that one. I have since dropped RCI.

Unless you booked your resort through the cruise line, or insured the entire vacation package together with the cruise line, I'm not sure why you'd expect the cruise line to do anything about it? :confused:

For the cruise that HAL canceled... although I do understand your frustration and sympathize with you, they're not responsible for any other travel arrangements you make on your own. How could they be? If you often have such complicated travel 'combos' it might be a good idea to start spending the extra money for insurance.

By shopping around, you can insure a whole 'package' vacation for about 1/2 of what the cruise lines offer you for insurance on the cruise alone.

Unless you booked your resort through the cruise line, or insured the entire vacation package together with the cruise line, I'm not sure why you'd expect the cruise line to do anything about it? :confused:

For the cruise that HAL canceled... although I do understand your frustration and sympathize with you, they're not responsible for any other travel arrangements you make on your own. How could they be? If you often have such complicated travel 'combos' it might be a good idea to start spending the extra money for insurance.

By shopping around, you can insure a whole 'package' vacation for about 1/2 of what the cruise lines offer you for insurance on the cruise alone.

First of all, I booked this cruise in good faith. It was the second change HAL had made. I originally booked on board so I did not pick up insurance at that time. If you have any experience with timeshares, you will know that the earlier you request an exchange, the more likely you will get your request.

What really bothers me is that HAL removed this cruise in mid November and never notified my TA of the change. Had they notified her, I would not have booked the timeshare. It was only when I went on line to look at the cruise that I found out it did not exist. My TA called and they would not even admit that the cruise was cancelled.

She made three phone calls and each time was told they would get back to her. They never did.

Finally, she called and was transferred to four different people before she could get someone to admit the cruise was cancelled. While I understand that HAL has the right to cancel and that it is a long way off, I do think that the courteous thing to do is to let the passengers know that the sailing would not take place so that they can plan accordingly. Had I known when this cruise was pulled, I would not have booked the timeshare exchange.

I do not think it is my responsibility to check the HAL website everyday to see if the cruise I booked still exists. When I make a booking I do it in good faith that the line will provide what they offered, or if they cannot, to let me know of the change. I should not have to go to my TA to inform her the cruise was cancelled. She should have received timely information from HAL to that effect.

I realize insurance would have helped, but my plans were not yet finalized regarding airfare, etc.

All in all, we are going on Jan. 22, 2010. Will Interval International make the change for me? That remains to be seen.

Terri

Terri I am sorry that you are having a problem, but for the future and this is for anybody, my friend always gets the insurance and for her up coming Eurodam she is insured and when she purchases her air then her air is automatically insured. Once again I wish you all the best and I know you will love the "S" class, we have been on both ships and love them both.

Kathy

I think the confusion might be that the poster is referring to RCI, the time-share company; not RCI the cruise line ... ???

What really bothers me is that HAL removed this cruise in mid November and never notified my TA of the change.

I've never had a cruise canceled/changed, but it seems like the very least they could have done is let you/your TA know quickly.

It does sound like Seattle dropped the ball on this one to me. I'm disheartened to hear that Holland America Line could have acted so unprofessionally, and even sorrier to hear that you had to pay (LITERALLY!) for their mistake.

Terry,

It sounds like you had the bad luck to be caught in that time period when HAL was negotiating for the ships to be used at the Olympic in Vancouver and closed your cruise to new books but didn’t completely cancel until after the contracts were signed. Only then do they send out the fax notifications to the travel agents with offers of alternate cruises, on board credit offers or refunds.

Be thankful your travel agent was working for you for a partial solution. HAL cancelled a cruise I had booked and the online agency I'd booked though didn’t notify me. I only found out when the deposit refund showed up on my credit card.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Sorry to hear that, but it happens. You have a whole year notice, some of us have had this happen with much less time... good luck

For those of you with experience, how close to the sailing date does HA ever cancel a trip and make it a charter? There was something floating on CC boards re our sailing in May 2009 and HA was very vague with their response.

Perhaps the reason your cruise was cancelled was due to the fact that the Statendam is scheduled for two cruises to Mexico during January 2010. On Jan.15 for seven days and Jan, 22 for 12 days...What was the date of your cruise? We will be on the Jan. 22nd cruise

Perhaps the reason your cruise was cancelled was due to the fact that the Statendam is scheduled for two cruises to Mexico during January 2010. On Jan.15 for seven days and Jan, 22 for 12 days...What was the date of your cruise? We will be on the Jan. 22nd cruise

February 12, 2010.

For those of you with experience, how close to the sailing date does HA ever cancel a trip and make it a charter? There was something floating on CC boards re our sailing in May 2009 and HA was very vague with their response.

I pay attention to charters. To the best of my knowledge, most charters occur 12 or more months into the future. I am aware of a few over the years that were chartered at the ten month point. And then there were the Carnival ships that were spontaneously chartered to house the homeless, after Katrina. The Carnival message baord was lit up like a Christmas Tree over that one.

The organizers of a charter need significant lead time to promote their charter and sell out their cabins. It is not a spontaneous event.

Posters often use the term charter when they mean group. There are groups on every cruise, every cruise line. Some are as small as 8 cabins or as large as half the ship such as the case over on RCL.

I would not be concerned that my cruise, 4 months from now, is going to get chartered.

Archived