C&A Welcome Back Party (Serenade of the Seas)

I will be on my second RC cruise this coming March. Can anyone tell me what a Welcome Back Party is like and how long it lasts?

Also, our daughter will be with us and this is her first cruise. Will she have to find something else to occupy her time, or will she be welcome to join us? I feel kinda bad to leave her out in the cold.

Also, we are staying in a GS and that allows us Concierge Club access. Any info on the club would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome back parties are usually relatively brief, 30min to 1hr, depending on the # of people. Cruise director and captain say a few words, and then the 'loyalty ambassador' will say a few words and try and coerce you into booking another cruise ;) (just kidding... they usually just limit themselves to thanking you and telling you when they'll be available if you do want to re-book and get OBC). They have free drinks (champagne, some mixed drinks, and 'virgin' drinks) and hors d'oeuvres.

We've always brought our kids, btw.

Never used the concierge lounge - but there are plenty of threads on the board that cover what's in there.

enjoy!

Anyone in the cabin is invited--it would be rude to exclude your travelling companions! So, bring your daughter, if she wants to go!

And just so you know, there is an "open bar"--so don't feel obligated to take the drink they will try and hand you when you enter, unless that's what you want to drink! They have mixed drinks (no top-shelf liquor, tho!), some beers, some wines....

Just got off the Monarch yesterday. The C&A party was held our third day at 5:15pm. Lasted until 6pm. They put together a buffet that had hors d'oeuvres and small single desserts and cake and cookies. Waiters had wine, champagne, screwdrivers and whiskey sours and gave them out free. My daughter and wife order a white russian and bahama momma and they were delivered within 5 minutes free of charge (I tipped him!). Like the previous posted stated, the Captain, Cruise Director and Loyalty Ambassador spoke. The Captain took about 5 questions from the crowd.

Nice way to spend an hour!:)

You guys have been great and your input is much-appreciated. Nice to have the free cocktails, even if they aren't top-shelf.;) Also REALLY nice to know that our daughter can join us. I just had assumed that the reception was on day one right after boarding or that day.

Sheesh....Captain's reception has drinks, then the Welcome Back party, and I just found out last night that because I booked a Grand Suite (we're C&A "gold" level), we get free drinks and hors douvres every night in the concierge lounge. That will shrink our bill considerably.

Can I ask, what you guys tip for the free drinks? I want to do the right thing and on our first cruise we were dumb. We didn't know that the bar tips were already built into the bill so we paid double by adding on additional tips. Then, at other times, like the once or twice I ordered room service, I didn't tip at all. Not selfishness on my part, just ignorance. We were really confused about the overall tipping situation at the end of the cruise and how to hand out the money, or not, in the dining room, etc. I'm interested in the WB Party tipping, and any other free drink tipping suggestions.

Thanks!

I gave the waitress $5 for the two "free" drinks. Those two drinks would have cost me around $17 from the bar. (I have receipts to prove it!) I was drinking the screwdrivers and she came back often! I only drank two though. I tend to overtip (I was a bartender in my college days!), I think a couple bucks per round would suffice. Hardly anyone tips. I was looking around and never saw anyone tip!

I gave the waitress $5 for the two "free" drinks. Those two drinks would have cost me around $17 from the bar. (I have receipts to prove it!) I was drinking the screwdrivers and she came back often! I only drank two though. I tend to overtip (I was a bartender in my college days!), I think a couple bucks per round would suffice. Hardly anyone tips. I was looking around and never saw anyone tip!

Your Avatar is hilarious. We laughed so hard at Jeff Dunham. I even use his joke about how to pronounce "Achmed" when I tell people how to spell our last name as it is German and there is a "ocht" in the middle! :D I really love the old guy that he does but I forgot the old guy's name.

Thanks for the info. I overtip too. I've been out for a weekly dinner with a large group of high-schoolers and almost all would walk away from the table without leaving a cent. I was always so embarrased by that; so I and another adult would make up for it with generous tips. I teach my kids to tip but apparently a lot of people don't get it. I can relate as my parents didn't teach us to tip, though. It was so funny, too, because when I was dating my hubby and he left a $2 tip on the table (back in the 70's) I'd say, "Why are you leaving that? I only get $2 a week for allowance!" :o

Your Avatar is hilarious. We laughed so hard at Jeff Dunham. I even use his joke about how to pronounce "Achmed" when I tell people how to spell our last name as it is German and there is a "ocht" in the middle! :D I really love the old guy that he does but I forgot the old guy's name.

Thanks for the info. I overtip too. I've been out for a weekly dinner with a large group of high-schoolers and almost all would walk away from the table without leaving a cent. I was always so embarrased by that; so I and another adult would make up for it with generous tips. I teach my kids to tip but apparently a lot of people don't get it. I can relate as my parents didn't teach us to tip, though. It was so funny, too, because when I was dating my hubby and he left a $2 tip on the table (back in the 70's) I'd say, "Why are you leaving that? I only get $2 a week for allowance!" :o

Who can forget Walter? :D

• 4 weeks later...

The Concierge Lounge is great on the Serenade. There are awesome windows, as it is located on the forward part of the hump on deck 10. There is overflow seating right outside the lounge, overlooking the Centrum. Be sure to get to know the Coffee/Cappucchino maker too. It is awesome. Kenneth BooDoo is the concierge and is top notch! He is one of the nicest people you ever want to meet. Please tell him Eric said "hi." There will be a great continental breakfast in the lounge every morning, including smoked salmon and cheese plates. Cocktail time runs from 5:00 to 8:30. There are standard mixed drinks, including martinis, but nothing blended or too fancy. Be sure to tip the Concierge at the end of the cruise and his assistant Rahul. They are a great team.

We were on the Serenade two weeks ago and wish we were back right now! It is an awesome ship and has an outstanding crew. If you sign up for My Time Dining, you will hopefully have Loyd for a waiter. He is great!

Have a great cruise!

Eric

The Concierge Lounge is great on the Serenade. There are awesome windows, as it is located on the forward part of the hump on deck 10. There is overflow seating right outside the lounge, overlooking the Centrum. Be sure to get to know the Coffee/Cappucchino maker too. It is awesome. Kenneth BooDoo is the concierge and is top notch! He is one of the nicest people you ever want to meet. Please tell him Eric said "hi." There will be a great continental breakfast in the lounge every morning, including smoked salmon and cheese plates. Cocktail time runs from 5:00 to 8:30. There are standard mixed drinks, including martinis, but nothing blended or too fancy. Be sure to tip the Concierge at the end of the cruise and his assistant Rahul. They are a great team.

We were on the Serenade two weeks ago and wish we were back right now! It is an awesome ship and has an outstanding crew. If you sign up for My Time Dining, you will hopefully have Loyd for a waiter. He is great!

Have a great cruise!

Eric

Thank you for the great details! I jotted them down in my cruise notebook.

I was glad to know that cocktails start at 5 as we have the early dinner seating and I thought we'd miss them! So nice. I am so anxious to see this ship. I keep reading about the glass and I love the ocean view so I think I'm going to be in cruise-ship heaven.

Love the cat with the lime helmet!

Have a great cruise!

Eric

Hi - on the Serenade, is the CL open at nights for drinks for suite guests for drinks? Or is it closed- and all suite guests and C&A guests went somewhere else for drinks?

thx

Hi - on the Serenade, is the CL open at nights for drinks for suite guests for drinks? Or is it closed- and all suite guests and C&A guests went somewhere else for drinks?

thx

The CL is open 24 hours, but the cocktails are only available to suite guests and diamond C&A members daily from 5 to 8:30. There is some overflow seating right outside the CL, next to the centrum.

The C&A welcome back party is held in the Safari Club on deck 6. That party has music and bar service.

We are still 1 cruise credit away from diamond, but we have been staying in Grand Suites on the Serenade for the last few cruises. We love the CL. We thought we were going to miss Maritza, but Kenneth is every bit as personable and is a genuinely great concierge. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting him. A free cocktail in the evening is nice, but the cappuccino machine was the first stop I made when I got on board. It was like seeing an old friend again! :D

Eric

The CL is open 24 hours, but the cocktails are only available to suite guests and diamond C&A members daily from 5 to 8:30. There is some overflow seating right outside the CL, next to the centrum.

The C&A welcome back party is held in the Safari Club on deck 6. That party has music and bar service.

We are still 1 cruise credit away from diamond, but we have been staying in Grand Suites on the Serenade for the last few cruises. We love the CL. We thought we were going to miss Maritza, but Kenneth is every bit as personable and is a genuinely great concierge. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting him. A free cocktail in the evening is nice, but the cappuccino machine was the first stop I made when I got on board. It was like seeing an old friend again! :D

Eric

Hi Eric,

I guess I wasn't clear as I wanted to be... (Tired!). My question is this - I am cruising in an owner's suite, and wanted to know, will I be having drinks before dinner each night in the CL? Or is it closed for drinks and everyone goes to the oddesy? I heard that the CL is not open for the happy hour and everyone just goes to the Oddesy. Or, do they just keep both open and send the suite guests to the CL, and the diamonds to the oddesy?

No problem.

The CL was open for both suite guests and diamond C&A on our cruise. I do not recall the Oddessy lounge being used for overflow or for diamond members two weeks ago, or the prior January. It was all done through the CL. We had a pre-dinner cocktail in the CL just about every evening.

Eric

No problem.

The CL was open for both suite guests and diamond C&A on our cruise. I do not recall the Oddessy lounge being used for overflow or for diamond members two weeks ago, or the prior January. It was all done through the CL. We had a pre-dinner cocktail in the CL just about every evening.

Eric

Excellent!

I won't have to wander too far then! :-)

Be sure to introduce yourself to Kenneth when you first go in. He's a great guy. :cool:

Eric

It's funny - but I sent him an email (got the email address from here), asking him some pre-cruise questions, and did not hear back. Some cruisers on other reviews have said he leaves something to be desired. I am happy you give him a positive review.

I am a total "service, service, service" person, so I do hope he is as good as you say. I am a little disheartened he did not reply though.

Oh well....

Be sure to introduce yourself to Kenneth when you first go in. He's a great guy. :cool:

Eric

Hey Eric...any drink suggestions (for the CL). I know you said nothing too fancy so I am imagining highballs like rum and coke, vodka and tonic. Manhattans? Or Mojitos? I am looking forward to the Mojitos!

We were on the 10/10 and 10/17/09 voyages of the Serenade. Kenneth is an excellent Concierge, every bit as good as Maritza. The first week the cocktails were in the Hollywood Odyssey on 13 but the second week it was in the CL because there were fewer Diamond members on board. Tipping the Concierge should be based on how much help he/she has been to you on the cruise. For the two weeks we tipped Kenneth $100.00, some gave more. The assistants who actually serve the drinks should be tipped separately. We'll be back on the Serenade on May 2 for the 14 day cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver.

Archived