Healthy Cruise?

TucsonDeb

Hi all,

I'm heading out for my second cruise on Saturday (Carnival's Inspiration). Because of the enormous amount of weight I gained on the last one (15 lbs, sigh), my plan this time is to try to make it as healthy as possible. Below I'm listing some of my ideas; if anyone has any suggestions or sees flaws, please chime in!

- Think of it as a "spa" cruise: Canyon Ranch on the ocean :D

- Get a soda card for diet and club soda (a club soda w/ lime "feels" like a mixed drink to me ... weird but true)

- Adorable workout outfit packed (if it's cute, I'm more likely to use it, and the only place I could wear it without looking out of place is at the fitness center)

- Empty water bottle to carry around ice water with lemon slices

- Limit my non-dining-room eating to fruits and vegetables

- Things to do instead of visiting the buffet: swimming, jacuzzi, mini-golf, steam/sauna, yoga/pilates/other fitness classes, and (if I'm desperate) a decadent over-priced massage, ha ha!

- Have a leisurely skinny-latte while enjoying the view

- Go to the disco to dance most of the night (enjoying my psuedo mixed drinks ;)). This leaves me with less time during the day to be tempted by the Lido Deck buffet

- I know Carnival has their spa cuisine, but I have a *very* slow metabolism. Even typical low-fat food usually has too many calories for me to eat much. Does the menu for the Spa cuisine options show calorie count?

- I know I can get fresh fruit and salad w/ nonfat dressing or vinegar, and probably broiled seafood (dressed with lemon juice) and poultry. Does anyone know if you can order an egg-white omelet for breakfast? Do they have roasted or steamed vegetables that haven't been soaked in oil? Nonfat cottage cheese? Is there sugar-free, fat-free frozen yogurt? The typical lowfat frozen yogurt (with sugar) is still too calorie-laden for me.

Any other tips (including mental gymnastics) to keep me on target?

Thanks in advance!

I only gained 1 lb on my last Conquest cruise. I skipped the bread at dinner and usually ordered the cheese plate for dessert instead of a sugary dessert. I did eat pizza three times though, so I did have some bread.

I mostly drank the tea, not lemonaide or was it punch which as sugar/calories.

I wore regular shorts and a tee shirt and did a lot of walking around the decks, just to see what was going on and for exercise. I didnt use the spa as I hate the treadmill in one place and adorable outfits?? moi?? (ok).

I just limited my amount of empty calories and had no problem. I did eat well 3 meals a day plus a late night snack.

I've recently lost a lot of weight too, 55lbs. I'm not planning on adjusting my cruise to be completely healthy. I plan to just try for better choices during lunch/breakfast/dinner, and portions as well, try to get a lot of fruits/veggies, and i plan to workout everyday at the gym.....at least once.

I figure, the most we'd gain, even if not working out while on the ship, would be maybe 5lbs, so i'm going to take my chances and just work out extra hard b4 and after.

Have a blast and congrats on your weight loss!!!!

We're just back from the Fantasy. I didn't gain weight this time, in spite of the 5 days spent in New Orleans prior. I did a lot of just walking around the ship. Normally there's a jogging track you can take advantage of, as well. I went to the buffet each morning, and usually got some fresh melon. They do have plain yogurt you can mix with your fruit.

I also drink club soda (I should have bought stock), so I know that's a good idea. It sounds like you should do okay. The main thing I would watch out for is the waiters. They tend to bring extra courses. Remember: it's okay to say "no". And, it's okay to not finish the courses you asked for. I'm lucky, I have a 17 year old, who will "bat clean up" for me. If you don't, just send the rest back.

I applaud you, TucsonDeb, for making a plan to be healthy! Those are precisely some of the plans I have for my upcoming cruise on Feb 15th...don't want to bring too much weight home!

I've also made a plan with my BF to have more active excursions at the ports so we get a copious amount of exercise while off the ship. I fully plan on making use of the gym and visiting the disco clubs to dance the night away. Fun does not have to always include food!

Even if you don't order spa cuisine, be sure to eat slowly so you don't eat more than you need to. Here's to the healthy cruisers!

The one thing I do is never use the elevators, always take the stairs. I had never been in a ships elevator till my 5th cruise. But the gf refused to use the stairs on formal nights something about heels and what not. I did enforce my rule on the rest of the cruise though! :D

A cruise is the perfect place to be healthy. There is unlimited, delicious healthy food available 24 hours a day. Anything you want to drink, you can. And, there's a gym. I've lost a few lbs on every cruise I've been on except my first. I love the spa food. I skip the bread, don't eat dressing on my salad, eat mostly veggies, fruit and fish or chicken. They have diabetic options for dessert (sugar-free). I'm bringing my cherry vanilla diet dr. pepper with me (I'm addicted). And, I'm bringing diet tonic water and just buying a shot of vodka here and there to mix with it if I feel like drinking. Plus, I'll be in a bikini everyday! There's motivation!!!!

I eat lo-carb, and I walk my butt off on the ship. I don't take the elevator, I take the stairs. I go to the gym and get on the treadmill for 1 hour right after breakfast. I go to the buffet for breakfast and lunch and I eat as much meat and veggies as I want. Big salads with any kind of dressing as long as it doesn't have a lot of sugar in it. I eat the sugar-free desserts, I drink 2-3 glasses of dry white wine (very little carbs). I limit myself to one whole wheat roll at dinner. I've lost 75 lbs doing lo-carb. You're on vacation--it's called self control. I don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops and deny myself the enjoyment of eating somethingthat I want....I just walk further to get it.

P.S. There'snothing wrong with eating some fat--all that low-fat diet rhetoric is a myth.

The one thing I do is never use the elevators, always take the stairs. I had never been in a ships elevator till my 5th cruise. But the gf refused to use the stairs on formal nights something about heels and what not. I did enforce my rule on the rest of the cruise though! :D

Exactly what I do. Except DD insisted we take the elevator several times on Glory because of the shoes she was wearing. It was the only cruise that I've gained weight.

Back to the stairs for me on Fascination and I didn't gain at all.

But then, I stop eating when I'm full. I don't go through the buffet line and put a full portion on a plate when I plan on trying several items. I don't think I have to clean my plate. I am not addicted to sweets. If I have dessert, I usually go for the cheese platter. I don't drink soft drinks (diet or otherwise).

I am, however, addicted to hot tea with milk & sugar. That is my main vice. And I do drink, but rarely have the foo-foo drinks.

My weight has still crept up close to 20 pounds over the past 10 years or so. Sadly, we middle-aged women just seem destined to look like pregnant grannies by the time we retire. :o

Have started watching what I eat and upped the physical activity, which is difficult to do when you get into tax season and work 70 hours a week, chained to a desk.

But I have VOWED to lose at least 10 pounds, preferably 20, by the time I sail in May. I was NOT happy when I looked at our cruise pics from December! And I refuse to go out and buy new cruise clothes.

Good luck with your efforts. Take the stairs!

Hi all,

I'm heading out for my second cruise on Saturday (Carnival's Inspiration). Because of the enormous amount of weight I gained on the last one (15 lbs, sigh), my plan this time is to try to make it as healthy as possible. Below I'm listing some of my ideas; if anyone has any suggestions or sees flaws, please chime in!

- Think of it as a "spa" cruise: Canyon Ranch on the ocean :D

- Get a soda card for diet and club soda (a club soda w/ lime "feels" like a mixed drink to me ... weird but true)

- Adorable workout outfit packed (if it's cute, I'm more likely to use it, and the only place I could wear it without looking out of place is at the fitness center)

- Empty water bottle to carry around ice water with lemon slices

- Limit my non-dining-room eating to fruits and vegetables

- Things to do instead of visiting the buffet: swimming, jacuzzi, mini-golf, steam/sauna, yoga/pilates/other fitness classes, and (if I'm desperate) a decadent over-priced massage, ha ha!

- Have a leisurely skinny-latte while enjoying the view

- Go to the disco to dance most of the night (enjoying my psuedo mixed drinks ;)). This leaves me with less time during the day to be tempted by the Lido Deck buffet

- I know Carnival has their spa cuisine, but I have a *very* slow metabolism. Even typical low-fat food usually has too many calories for me to eat much. Does the menu for the Spa cuisine options show calorie count?

- I know I can get fresh fruit and salad w/ nonfat dressing or vinegar, and probably broiled seafood (dressed with lemon juice) and poultry. Does anyone know if you can order an egg-white omelet for breakfast? Do they have roasted or steamed vegetables that haven't been soaked in oil? Nonfat cottage cheese? Is there sugar-free, fat-free frozen yogurt? The typical lowfat frozen yogurt (with sugar) is still too calorie-laden for me.

Any other tips (including mental gymnastics) to keep me on target?

Thanks in advance!

Spa menu shows calorie counts and is very yummy.

Steamed veggies - yes.

Not sure about the cottage cheese or frozen yogurt though.

Congrats on your weight loss!!

A cruise is the perfect place to be healthy. There is unlimited, delicious healthy food available 24 hours a day. Anything you want to drink, you can. And, there's a gym. I've lost a few lbs on every cruise I've been on except my first. I love the spa food. I skip the bread, don't eat dressing on my salad, eat mostly veggies, fruit and fish or chicken. They have diabetic options for dessert (sugar-free). I'm bringing my cherry vanilla diet dr. pepper with me (I'm addicted). And, I'm bringing diet tonic water and just buying a shot of vodka here and there to mix with it if I feel like drinking. Plus, I'll be in a bikini everyday! There's motivation!!!!

Ya know, this is pretty much what I was thinking. To add a comment about the gym my wife and I look for the classes that the spa/gym offers on the first day of the cruise and the key is sign up for them. I did the 3 spinning classes that is offered throughout the week and my wife did the 3 yoga classes. Also, skip sodas (reg. or diet) all together. I brought on a case of bottled water and 1 8-pack of G2 gatorade. Drank mostly water throughout the week. And I would agree that there is plenty of healthy food. People just need to have a little self-control.

First of all, give yourself permission to eat what ever you want at least one time (or one day) on the cruise. That gives you something to look forward to and strive for. You might be happier eating fruit for dessert 4 times if you know that you're going to get the chocolate melting cake with ice creame the 5th night.

You say you gained 15 lbs on a cruise, I'm hoping that was a month long cruise? If not, it's possible you carried some water/waste weight. Don't weigh yourself until a week after the cruise. Eat your normal losing weight diet for that week. You may find that you break even in the end.

I, too, have a very slow metabolism. For me to maintain my wieght, I have to eat dangerously low amounts of calories. Of course, to lose weight it has to go lower. (yes, I do work with a dr and dietician). Here are some of the things that I do to help with that:

- always, always, take the stairs. Really, always. :)

- know exactly how many calories something has. This is harder when you don't cook the food, but I've gotten pretty good at it.

- always weigh the pleasure to the calorie... if I am having bread because it's in front of me, I have to realize that. if I'm having the bread because it's a special homemade bread warm from the oven, I'll have it.

- never, ever weigh yourself after a planned splurge. Wait until at least 1 day later, maybe 2.

- 6 meals a day, rather than 3, will usually result in less calorie intake.

- hot tea and gum are your friends... :) both help cure mental hunger.

What I'm doing for my cruise... I'm losing 5 pounds prior to the cruise so that I have some "wiggle room". I don't plan on restricting the type of food that I eat, but I am restricting the amount. I do plan on 30 minutes of forced exercise (treadmill, walking, yoga, swimming, etc) each day. Asking my husband to hide the scale for a week after the cruise.

Good luck and know that you're not alone in this battle. :cool:

cruise is the best place to lose weight since it offer so many varieties of food on board. I believe as long as you keep on low carb high fabric food (such as fruit and vege), you should reach your goal easily. Other food...... does not help to much, IMO.

You can go to Kimkins.com and use their free weight loss tools. They have sample recipes too.:D

http://www.kimkins.com

Didn't Kim from Kimkins get sued for being a fraud and basically encouraging women to starve themselves into health problems? I saw a documentary on her and about how she turned out to be some fat lady that wanted to play with people's minds...

I mean no offense with this post, just stating what I've heard.

Didn't Kim from Kimkins get sued for being a fraud and basically encouraging women to starve themselves into health problems? I saw a documentary on her and about how she turned out to be some fat lady that wanted to play with people's minds...

I mean no offense with this post, just stating what I've heard.

http://hitsusa.com/blog/308/kimkins-diet-scam/

Make sure you take more than one workout outfit. It would be a little demotivating if you wanted to workout and only had the same old sweaty outfit to crawl into.

I also struggle to maintain my diet sanity on board. In order not to be tempted I will have my hubby get me an omelette w/heathy stuff in it and coffee to enjoy on the balcony. Then for lunch pull together something healthy from the buffett and then get the heck out of there...or order a salad or a couple of healthy items off the room service menu and resist the temptations in all the restaurants. I also like to order crudites late afternoon so that I'm not starving as I head to dinner in the dining rooms.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's ideas out here! Guess I need to stop eating all that bread!!:D

Here are a few of my thoughts:

Bring your own bottle for water - those little cups just don't cut if for getting in enought water during the day! You need to push all that sodium through some how!

Also, do bring two workout out fits - I have made the mistake of only packing one and it never dried after my hour workouts! So I had to send it away for laundry and that can take a day!

I am able to stay pretty even on the cruises by having several good workouts and by eating a really light breakfast or lunch, not all 3 meals can be bigger than normal!

Also taking the stairs really does work, but I find after a few days of it, my upper bone in my ankles kill me!!! Maybe because I am not used to it.

Also if you are having a hard time getting on some of the exercise equipment, try the port days, if you come back early the place is empty!!

Lastly, if you can skip the late night munchies - that will help too! Although I do find this to be a real treat after a few drinks!

Good luck!

Archived