Hair Braiding

Leigh-Anne V

My daughter is at the age where she would like to get her hair done .. the only thing is I've heard some horror stories about getting lice etc. from unwashed combs.

We are going to Tortola, Samana, St Thomas and Great Stirrup Cay ... does anyone know of anywhere "safe" to get it done or would it perhaps be better to get it done on the ship? If that's even a possibility .. we are on the Norwegian Dawn

thanks!

i have had mine done when i was younger and had no problem, i had it done in hati and in puerta vilarta mexico (the one in mexico only cost like 7 bucks but hati was expensive). you can bring your own combs with you for them to use so you know they are clean!

That's a great idea thanks! Never thought of that. I had mine done before as well with no problem but once you start hearing stories .... lol ....

I had no worries about this for my daughter and thought nothing of it until there was an outbreak of head lice at her school. It took forever to get rid of them.

It's not just the combs you have to worry about. My daughter got her hair braided on the beach at St. Thomas, and the woman also had a jar of yellow stuff that she rubbed in her hair (like gel), to hold it together, I guess. Who knows how many people she had used it on. You should be fine, but be careful.

Not to totally thread-jack, but we're going on our first cruise next month (NCL Mexican Riviera) and I think my daughter would love to have her hair braided. I have no idea what a reasonable price for this is, or how long it takes to do. Is it something offered on the ship as well?

Not to totally thread-jack, but we're going on our first cruise next month (NCL Mexican Riviera) and I think my daughter would love to have her hair braided. I have no idea what a reasonable price for this is, or how long it takes to do. Is it something offered on the ship as well?

On St. Thomas, we paid $2 per braid if I recall correctly. As for how long it takes, just depends on how many braids she gets done. A good braider can put them in pretty quickly.

Does anyone know how much Norwegian charges (if they even do it?) or if they do it on Great Stirrup Cay? I'd be more inclined to trust the private island maybe .. although, even trying on hats could do it ... I work in the school system so I've seen it way to often in my students and even had my daughter come home with it once .. a pain I don't want to go through again! lol

I think the going rate in Great Stirrup Cay was 25$-30$ to get the crown done, or if you wanted just braids, it was 2$ each.

As far as it being a private island, the people braiding are not associated with NCL, so it is still at your own risk.

My DDs got theirs done there. Just a warning if you have young ones, doing the crown of their head really hurts. Both my girls started crying while she was braiding them. Not sure if I would do it again...

My daughter is at the age where she would like to get her hair done .. the only thing is I've heard some horror stories about getting lice etc. from unwashed combs.

We are going to Tortola, Samana, St Thomas and Great Stirrup Cay ... does anyone know of anywhere "safe" to get it done or would it perhaps be better to get it done on the ship? If that's even a possibility .. we are on the Norwegian Dawn

thanks!

I had my DD's hair done on the ship. It was $55 on Carnival Truimph last year.

Not sure if this has been a problem for anyone, but while I was in college I had a couple braids put in (thankfully) underneath most of my (then) full length thick hair and when I finally took it out the hair was really funky. All kinky and rough. Just something to think about.

I agree with you. A friend had her hair braided and she had such damaged hair from that. Lots of breakage and splits---she actually had bald spots once she took the braids out. While anyone can do what they want, I would say do a few braids as a cute accent, but be careful with the full head braids.

I agree with the above posts that there may be damage if you do a full head- My DD got her hair done in Cabo last year (30.00) and it broke so much we ended up having to cut a lot of her hair off:( She was not a happy cruiser!

Most islands are $2.00 per braid. Caution - they will try to braid VERY thin braids so that it will cost more! If you think the braids are too thin ask them to do them thicker - or tell them you want thick braids from the beginning. I think my 8 year old ended up with close to 30 braids and her hair is thin! Had no problems and she loved it, but next time, thicker braids!!!

If you're worried about Lice (you can also get it from airlines and hotels), bring some repellant with you. My 7yr old step daughter used to get infested each and every time there was an outbreak in her school, the nurse said her specific body temp, and the fact that her hair is always really clean made her really susceptible to them. I mix 16oz water, 40 drops teatree oil, 25 drops eucalyptus oil, 30 drops lavender oil and a tablespoon of regular har conditioner. I use a spritz bottle aand spray her every morning focusing on the nape of her neck and behind her ears then comb through. She hasn't gotten it once since we started this, and it doesn't smell bad, and is safe!!!

Does anyone have pictures they would like to share of a style that does not include the full head or just the crown? Both my girls have now decided that they do not want it braided that way (they were reading over my shoulder about how much it hurt, lice, etc). But they really want to come back from the cruise and go to school with some sort of braiding. We were curious about the few "accent" braids mentioned. How did they look?

I don't have any super clear pix of her, but here's some of my DD after she had braids put in in Nassau (she'd just turned 8). They weren't braided to the scalp, just a bunch of regular braids, and only the front 1/3-1/2 of her head. It cost $20 I think. She did say it pulled some (but she made no fuss at the time (as you can see in the 1st pic), so it couldn't have been that bad), but probably not as much as a full head or french-braided to the scalp. No damage to her hair that I noticed, and definitely no lice. It worked out pretty well, because she was growing out her bangs at the time and they were at that really awkward point where they were really long, but not long enough to go behind her ears. By the time we finally took the braids out (we left them in for about a month), her (former) bangs would mostly stay behind her ears and looked much better. The last picture was taken about a week after we got back from the cruise.

07062902crop.JPG

n609505669_1285476_3983.jpgn609505669_1285474_3406.jpg

07070701.JPG

photo.php?pid=1285474&l=cb42c&id=609505669photo.php?pid=1285476&l=f5f17&id=609505669

My dh had her hair done in St Maartin. I told the girl doing I wanted big braids, but they kept getting smaller. It cost $3.00 a braid, and she managed to get 35 braids into my kids hair! We only had the crown done, and the braids ended at the top of her head with a bead. I was neat looking, like she had a bead headband in. The back was not braided at all. I will try to post a pic, but I never seem to have any luck...

Kim

100_1405.jpg.2f6ffdb16425f47c50628441b1882339.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely picture! My daughter is biracial and adopted, which means I have no idea how to do her very curly hair. I might actually see if we can have it done before the cruise. It looks so easy to care for rather than a mass of tangled curls! You have beautiful children, by the way. :)

Archived