General question re: online cruise agencies

elycelynne

I was just wondering if all the agencies that are listed under "Cruise Agencies" here on Cruise Critic are all well-established as reputable agencies? Do they have to meet some kind of standard in order to be able to advertise here? I know that good service is never 100% guaranteed, but having some confidence that these agencies all have good reputations and aren't some kind of fly-by-night operations would be helpful.

I have booked with an agency that advertises here. I loved the service I got. However, when I checked them out through the Better Business Bureau they did not have a good rating.

I do not think that cc does any kind of check to determine the caliber of advertiser. I think they just cash the check.

While there's a no solicitation policy when one agency in NJ went belly up recently & took everybody's money I saw their name mentioned all over the place w/ no repurcussions to the poster so I have to think that if it's really bad, they let people talk.

The only way that you can be reasonably safe, whether you deal with an online or local agency, is to exercise as much "due diligence" as you can. There aren't any easy answers to this. Companies that appeared to be high in customer satisfaction for years have gone out of business, taking the deposits of cruise passengers with them.

The only way that you can be reasonably safe, whether you deal with an online or local agency, is to exercise as much "due diligence" as you can. There aren't any easy answers to this. Companies that appeared to be high in customer satisfaction for years have gone out of business, taking the deposits of cruise passengers with them.

what you can do to protect you in this is

1. Use a credit card not a debit card not cash not a check.

2. make sure the charge is made directly with the cruise line(all authorized ta's can charge through the cruise line)...

either of these would have protected you if you use any on line TA including those that advertise here. Those that advertise here are paying CC for the privilege and CC says nothing about them beyond that.

There are other things like making sure they are parts of a national TA certifying agency like Avista(or something like that) but the first line of defense should be your credit card and direct payment.

BTW if you have to use a check(not a good idea at all) you can ask for YOU to send it directly to the cruise line.....not to have the TA send it for you,.

• 1 month later...

A friend used a huge Florida agency who, instead of giving the credit card directly to the cruise lines, used a third party agency who then gave it to the cruise line. Long story short: It's been six months and the triple overcharge has yet to be settle because the original agency claims their 3d party agency can keep a disputed charge up to six months by law. So, if you can, deal with the agency who does not use the 3d party but who gives your credit card directly to the cruise line. How can you guarantee that? Beats me.

I bought my first cruise tickets through an online agency. And spoke with Carnival as soon as my itinerary was listed. This time I found that it was the same price so I just used Carnival. Got an upgrade to an aft balcony cabin from a standard balcony while I was doing it so I was pleased. I just don't find that much to call them about once I have the cruise reserved. Although I did call can change one of our cabins so that they would be across the hall from each other. Not a biggie.

Archived