Submarine Excursio

We2Cruzers

Hi - I was referring to the Atlantis submarine excursion. I'm not sure if I've seen anything on the board about a 2 person pod - though that sounds interesting. We will probably go on a submarine excursion but I am wondering which port will have nicer water, better fish, etc. Any feedback from anyone on the board who has done this in these ports would be appreciated.

we did this excursion in Cozumel and St Thomas-

There is a person that dives outside the sub to attract the fish. You will see many fishes. Our camera didnt quite capture all the color since you are taking that picture through a window-- and the flash showed up.

I did it in Hawaii and thought it was a total waste of money, very disappointed.

I have to totally agree with Carolyn. We were packed into the submarine like sardines and it was no fun at all. Tried to talk my sister out of the excursion on our next cruise, but she had to see for herself. She also wished she had put her money to better use.

I did this with Atlantis in Aruba. Depending on location, the sub may go 130-150+ feet down which is VERY deep by SCUBA standards and not shallow by historic naval sub standards.

To me, the trip was interesting more from an engineering standpoint than a coral or fish observation standpoint. Snorkling or a glass bottom boat is better and more fun for that. The deeper you go, light diffussion spectographically washes out color. Things take on a blue tint 'black and white' quality by 75 feet.

Claustrophobia may be an issue for some, the sub is not roomy. You can't stand straight upright or move around much; you sit on a linear central bench (at least that was our experience).

It was interesting, but I wouldn't consider it a first priority 'must do'.

I have done the excursion in St. Thomas some time ago and more recently at Cozumel. I found the experience interesting, from an engineering standpoint, and worthwhile from a sightseeing viewpoint. I would consider doing it again.

The deep diving research type sub in Grand Cayman is no longer available. The sub was damaged by one of the hurricanes that hit the island and the Company has not repaired or replaced it. When it was in operation, it would go very deep down the Cayman Wall, but it was a very expensive "tour".

The deep diving research type sub in Grand Cayman is no longer available. The sub was damaged by one of the hurricanes that hit the island and the Company has not repaired or replaced it. When it was in operation, it would go very deep down the Cayman Wall, but it was a very expensive "tour".

I have a good friend who did this in Grand Cayman years ago. To this day he still talks about how cool it was. I checked into it last time we were there, (before the hurricane) and it was so expensive, I couldn't justify the cost. Think it was like $400-$500 a person. :eek:

My husband and I did the Atlantis sub in Barbados a couple of years ago. It was great. Each passenger had their own window and although it was small I didn't feel claustrophobic. We saw fish, coral reefs and a wreck. I was able to take video and my husband took still photos. I thought that it was well worth the money.

In Grand Cayman we took the semi submersible to Sting Ray City. It was extremely tiny and although it is always "open" it felt much more closed in than the Atlantis. We enjoyed it but I don't think it is something I would ever do again.

Lenore

Archived