"Live" from Adventure of the Seas - January 15 - 25

By now, you should be in San Juan... thanks for sharing so much information and memories!!!

We are and have left! I will be posting some goodbye thoughts and our Disembarkation process, plus our side trip to Aricebo tonight (hopefully!). Thanks for the kind words.... it has been an "adventure".....

Bill,

Thanks so much for all of the kind words. You and Jackie have helped make this cruise our most memorable by far along with Scott and Amy and the CV's. We had a blast thru-out the week and enjoyed your company.

The dodgeball tourney was a blast and bringing home the gold was worth all of the aches and pains that followed.

Your blog was the best I have ever read and you have some excellent pictures that will give anyone the itch to cruise. We are considering a December cruise with the CV's. We would love to come to the Panama Canal with your group in January but since the Serenade beckons we will have to pass on that one. Maybe in the future we can hook up again.

We appreciate all of the info that you guys gave us and will keep you in mind for any future questions that might arise. Take care and Thanks Again for the memories.

Carl and Cathy

Now that we have returned home from our cruise, I am savoring your cruise review. (My husband and I met you at the M&M.) Your review is more enjoyable -- and more detailed --than the cruise in review DVD!

I haven't made it through the whole review yet, but I did read that the concierge sent you a complimentary bottle of champagne in your JS stateroom. We also stayed in a JS and we are diamond members, but we didn't receive any champagne. What's your secret?

Marsha

Bill,

Thanks so much for all of the kind words. You and Jackie have helped make this cruise our most memorable by far along with Scott and Amy and the CV's. We had a blast thru-out the week and enjoyed your company.

The dodgeball tourney was a blast and bringing home the gold was worth all of the aches and pains that followed.

Your blog was the best I have ever read and you have some excellent pictures that will give anyone the itch to cruise. We are considering a December cruise with the CV's. We would love to come to the Panama Canal with your group in January but since the Serenade beckons we will have to pass on that one. Maybe in the future we can hook up again.

We appreciate all of the info that you guys gave us and will keep you in mind for any future questions that might arise. Take care and Thanks Again for the memories.

Carl and Cathy

Not so fast on the Panama Canal. Looks like all the dates we want are booked solid... so we're actually looking at Serenade your week. Who knows... maybe we'll run into you again!!

BRL (Bill & Jackie)

Now that we have returned home from our cruise, I am savoring your cruise review. (My husband and I met you at the M&M.) Your review is more enjoyable -- and more detailed --than the cruise in review DVD!

I haven't made it through the whole review yet, but I did read that the concierge sent you a complimentary bottle of champagne in your JS stateroom. We also stayed in a JS and we are diamond members, but we didn't receive any champagne. What's your secret?

Marsha

We got the bottle thru another staff member who had Robert send it on to us. We've made some good friends on the staff of Adventure, Serenade and other ships.... so sometimes they welcome us! But they never say who its from, so I've got to go searching! No Champagne for the JS stateroom - just good friends who happen to work for a cruiseline! :)

It was very nice to meet you and your husband. Hope you made it home without incident!

BRL

Often, the last evening on your adventure is a lost evening. You must spend the time repacking your luggage, making all the “stuff” that barely fit last time now fit with additional “stuff” you purchased during your travels. This is often not an easy task. Your luggage needs to be outside your stateroom by midnight, which sounds late, but often you are faced with an early rising period to get off the ship and head to your airplane. So you are often faced with an “early to bed” clause as well. During this adventure, we chose to handle this two ways – 1st – I packed clothes (especially T-Shirts) that are “disposable” – that is after wearing, they are thrown away. That opens up space in suitcase for other items. 2nd – our flight is not out tomorrow until 4:10 PM. That allows us a leisurely escape from Adventure. So at least for this trip, we’ve less stress on this last evening than usual.

It is also sad to have to say goodbye to those people who have made your experiences better. These people with whom you have contact everyday include (but are not restricted to) – your stateroom attendant, your main waiter, your assistant waiter, your head waiter, your favorite Bar Tender, etc. If you prepay your tips, you will receive envelopes for many of these people, and the giving them this last “thanks” often serves as the goodbye. So here it goes for us – our final goodbyes:

Our Stateroom Attendant – This is the most interesting goodbye for us. We met our stateroom attendant on the first day for a moment. We never saw her again for our week. She did a good job – we have no complaints or criticisms regarding our stateroom - it was always clean. She did get to the afternoon makeover a bit later than those in the past, but it was always done well. We just did not develop a relationship with her. So no goodbyes necessary here – we provided our tip in the envelope, but there was nothing more provided.

Our Main Waiter – Balkan, from Turkey, became one of the best waiters we have ever had. As mentioned earlier, he started slow. Not in his performance as a waiter – which never wavered from excellent, but in our relationship. It was like he spent the first day feeling us out before engaging. Or put another way, he wanted to make sure he provided us with what WE were looking for. He is a warm, quietly funny, man. He is very devoted to his family – he could not contain his excitement that he was going to be going on Vacation – going home to see his family. He has been doing this for over 11 years – and is questioning whether he wishes to continue. Providing him with his tip was a pleasure – with some extra added to supply those children of his something special. Go with God, Balkan. You did an excellent job!!

Our Assistant Waiter – Marcos, from Grenada, was the perfection we have come to expect from our Royal Caribbean experience. Quick with the Bread, Water, and in our friend Scotts case – the Coke!! Always whistling softly, he was quick to smile and take care of your needs. Paired with Balkan, they made an excellent pair – one of the best we’ve ever had. It was also a pleasure to provide his tip – with some extra

added as well. Excellent job Marcos!!

Our Head Waiter – Gerry, from the Phillipeans (we think…), was the best Head Waiter we’ve ever had!! We’ve always asked ourselves – what is his job? Why is he wearing that Red Coat (Gerry did not, but you get the idea). Gerry was the consummate manager of his area. He is there to check that everything is perfect. He is there to make sure you are getting the full experience of the dining room. He is there to help take care of your kids. We watched Gerry captivate a table next door with young children – becoming “Uncle Gerry.” We also watched him correct a table with parents who had no concept of how to parent their wild kids. Gerry did everything he could to keep those kids under control and not affecting the other tables. He did an outstanding job. It was a pleasure to provide his tip – with some extra as well. Thanks Gerry, you did Royal Caribbean proud!

Out Concierge – Robert, from France. I have spoke of his soft, quiet elegance in earlier posts. He did an outstanding job for us. He had an assistant Harley who helped him with drink orders. That allowed Robert to spend more time with his guests. He did an excellent job, and I hope to find him again onboard as a main concierge, not the replacement. He has earned the opportunity.

Our Favorite Bartender – Vinroy, of Jamaica. Our Champagne Bar friend. After introducing ourselves on Night 1, he was quick with the Kir Royales. He was very good at having a conversation – he is by nature a quiet man, but has a intensity when he speaks that makes you take pause and listen. Tonight, he was perfect in his element. The bar was dominated by an English Group, and one man in particular who enjoyed telling jokes. Vinroy was able to listen to each joke, laugh along with everyone else, while keeping all the drinks full. Excellence – Excellence – Excellent!! It was a pleasure to give him something extra.

I am sure we are missing special people. It is important to remember how most of these people get paid – by our tips. They receive a very small working salary per week ($50 is common). Your tip is what allows them to make a living, mostly for families back home. These threads are full of discussions about tipping, and I will not take it on here. But for the record – please make sure you tip. Complain if you are not satisfied with your service – but I defy you to find somewhat who does not seem to put for their best efforts. In our experience, we have NEVER had anyone do anything but their best!

Tomorrow – we take our leave from Adventure of the Seas, as well as visit Areciebo Observatory.

DSC01279.jpg

BRL, its been fun reading about your trip, since we were there also. Funny thing, Balkan, Marcos, and Gerry were our waiters also! We were table 325, 1st seating. My son was the one in the captain's suit on formal night. :)

We were on this same sailing with you. My DH and I both think that this ship and crew is by far the best we have encountered in our many cruises. The other 8 people in our group agreed with us.

You review was wonderful and allowed me to relieve a fantastic week on the AOS.

Thanks for taking the time and for being so diligent and thorough!

BRL, its been fun reading about your trip, since we were there also. Funny thing, Balkan, Marcos, and Gerry were our waiters also! We were table 325, 1st seating. My son was the one in the captain's suit on formal night. :)

We were at table 324 - right next to the stairs. I believe I remember you. Glad you made it home without incident.

I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart’s affections and the truth of imagination – what the imagination seizes as beauty must be truth – whether it existed before or not.

- John Keats, 1817

To reimagine your journey again and again as you return home can be solace for the pain of crossing the final threshold. The family and friends who feted you when you departed may be busy with their own lives and mysteriously disappear when you call to share your travel stories, slides, and astonishments.

Prepare yourself. It will be harder than you think to find an audience for your stories. If you get a chance, express gratitude’s rather than platitudes when you get home. The real jewels are the hidden treasure-stories many people at home, everywhere throughout time, have longed to hear – stories of the real Shangri-la, tales of what the soul, not the ego, endured.

To disembark smoothly is the earned end of a journey. Our disembarkation went very smoothly – we were welcomed into the Mozart Dining Room at 8:00 for the Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Plus members. Mimossas, Orange Juice, and rolls. At 8:15, we were invited to join the others as we moved to the 4th deck. One last “bong” of your Seapass card as you leave the ship. Wave goodbye one last time. It is then to the large warehouse, where colors greet one as you attempt to recover your luggage you put out in the hallway last night. The luggage was quickly recovered. Then it was thru Customs (:40 seconds) and then to the cab. The entire process? 4 minutes. Yup – that quickly – we are finished with our adventure on Adventure of the Seas.

Once out of the warehouse, just before you leave, American Airlines, among with many others, have their luggage drop off for those that utilize the Concierge Luggage Option. For $20 per person, your luggage is taken from you here, and the next time you see it is at your destination. We utilized this service and BINGO – it worked great!

But we’re not done with our adventure j u s t yet. We have planned to go see something I have desired to see my entire life – the Arecebo Observatory. It is the largest Radio Telescope in the world, located in a sink hole up in the Northern Puerto Rican mountains.

DSC01283.jpg

We pick up the rental car at the airport from Hertz ($31). It is then a drive west from the city on the Tollway. After about 50 miles, you arrive at the Arecebo. You then climb into the hills. The road is very windy and narrow – be prepared!! Signage is also not the best, so make sure you utilize your maps. After the climb, you reach the Arecebo, the end of the road.

Another eye opener – the climb from the visitor’s parking lot. It is not a long climb…. Maybe 300 yards – but it is almost vertical – you will “feel the burn”. The ticket cost to enter the visitor’s center is $6.00 for adults. The visitor center has two levels. Mostly exhibits on our solar system and the use of the telescope. There is also a :20 minute presentation on the day in the life of a day at Arecebo. It was made in 1999, and is totally forgettable. You can skip this.

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01282.jpg

The dish itself is set into a sink hole that makes for a gorgeous backdrop. Some of the most beautiful scenes I have from this adventure are the ones I took while at Aricebo. It is a beautiful place. You may be disappointed (underwhelmed) by the Visitor Center or the dish itself, but the drive up into the hills, the scenery once there, and the drive back down thru the hills were worth the effort and the drive.

DSC01285.jpg

DSC01286.jpg

DSC01287.jpg

It was then back to the airport to drop off the rental car, then to our gate. Our flights left on time and were without incident. Getting off the jet way in Minneapolis, where it was -9 Fahrenheit, was a jolt. Why did I leave again? From wherest did I travel? But then I simply close my eyes, and the memories and the experiences – the remembering – take me back.

Tell what you have learned from your journey.

The oldest and soundest of all boons is hard-earned wisdom.

In this way, the art of remembering, the skill with which to “bring back to the human memory how great was their beauty,” we continually reconstruct our own lives. Recollection is the final discipline of the pilgrim-poet-traveler, which entails recalling the vows taken before departing, revering the ideas that once we have been blessed with the gift of the journey, so now we must bless. We can continually recall beauty through the practice of memory, through daily acts of imagination that seize the moments that once seized our hearts.

And the strange thing is, once you do, you may find, as Carl Sandburg did, that

When nothing is ahead of you, then you have come to an end.

Where nothing is behind you, then ahead of you is a beginning.

Still to come…. Final Thoughts….. a Seapass bill dissected…..and a look ahead to possible changes to Royal Caribbean and our cruise experiences.

I don't really think so.... it would of course depend on how old they are. I am thinking of my 9 year old... I would be a bit spooked of having her anywhere but in the cockpit area of the sailboat. You are really sailing, which includes the boat lean and everything like that.

Plus.... there is the various drinking. If that bothers you to have your kids see that sort of activity, it is something to consider. I would also consider how others on the trip would feel if there were kids on board... The maximum he will take is 6.

Just some various thoughts....

BRL

Thanks. We were thinking some of the same things and opted to book the larger Nightwind - who average 12 per sail. Perhaps there may be another family or two aboard. We can do the Rumbaba another time.

How was customs this the morning of St Thomas? Does everyone in your party have to present themselves or just the head of household?

Thanks. We were thinking some of the same things and opted to book the larger Nightwind - who average 12 per sail. Perhaps there may be another family or two aboard. We can do the Rumbaba another time.

How was customs this the morning of St Thomas? Does everyone in your party have to present themselves or just the head of household?

We had no customs of anykind during our stop at St. Thomas. The same thing while Disembarking - Once off the ship, we picked our luggage and had only a cursory glance from an officer before leaving the terminal. We were out in less than 5 minutes.

We had no customs of anykind during our stop at St. Thomas. The same thing while Disembarking - Once off the ship, we picked our luggage and had only a cursory glance from an officer before leaving the terminal. We were out in less than 5 minutes.

Really. That is great news. We saw on some old Compasses that all guests must clear themselves the morning of St Thomas before going ashore. Guess they changed it.

Really. That is great news. We saw on some old Compasses that all guests must clear themselves the morning of St Thomas before going ashore. Guess they changed it.

Back in 2004 I had to go through customs in St. Thomas, then again in San Juan. I guess the process has been streamlined or something else by now, judging by what BuyReallyLow's posted

BRL = We really enjoyed meeting you and all of the other Cruise Critic members at the Pool Bar and the Meet and Greet. This was our first RCL cruise, but it won't be our last. Your posts have been great to read and re-live our cruise, and much needed as I sit here glancing out as the snow is falling here in the DC area

Thanks again

BarbaB

Well what started out as a perfect cruise ended miserably. We met other CC members in line waiting to embark (Heather, Stephanie from CA). We had great weather, met great people at dinner (late seating, table 294) from Texas, Canada, DC area. We have the pics for you so if you read this please write to us with an email address so we can send them. At the CC meet got to meet Bill, Vicki, Ed, and others. Vicki did a great job organizing the lists, thank you for that. So the "fun" starts on Tuesday in Aruba....in the morning we go on a snorkle trip really enjoyed it. Back to the ship around noon, quick bite to eat and its off to town. About 2:00 Nancy says she doesn't feel that well and maybe we should go back. Back on the ship she proceeds to get sicker as the day goes on. Finally at about 8:00 or Nancy is VERY sick so I go to the infirmary to see if they have anything for upset stomach etc. Well once I described her symptoms they say they want to see her right away. After the doctors exam, blood tests, etc., she is diagnosed with a norovirus and we are now quarentined to our cabin for 48 hours! OH BOY! For those of you that are thinking "no problem" think again. Your sailpass is entered into the computer so that if you use it anywhere on the ship or if you try to get off the ship it is flagged that you are quarentined and the infirmary is notified immediately. Further, in the infirmary RCCL requires you to sign that you will abide by the quarentine rules and ignoring them or violating them can have severe consequences. Such as if you decide you do not want to comply with quarentine they can put you off the ship at the nearest port and the local health officials are notified of your contagious condition. We know this is not RCCL fault and they have very strick CDC guidlines and reporting procedures they must follow, but it still SUCKED! So now its 48 hours later, Thursday night 8:00 and we go to the infirmary to get our "get out of jail" papers (yes they actually issue a release). Of course Nancy was feeling just fine as was I. No more symptoms or problems. The alternative was continued quarentine. It was too late for dinner that night and we did not have much of an appetite anyway. On Fri and Sat we stayed close by the ship, missing our day trip to St John and just couldn't bring ourselves to dinner at night. What a shame. The AOS was a spectacular ship and we can't say enough about the crew and staff. They did all they could to make a bad situatiuon as best as possible. We will cruise again and will cruise RCCL again.

Well what started out as a perfect cruise ended miserably. We met other CC members in line waiting to embark (Heather, Stephanie from CA). We had great weather, met great people at dinner (late seating, table 294) from Texas, Canada, DC area. We have the pics for you so if you read this please write to us with an email address so we can send them. At the CC meet got to meet Bill, Vicki, Ed, and others. Vicki did a great job organizing the lists, thank you for that. So the "fun" starts on Tuesday in Aruba....in the morning we go on a snorkle trip really enjoyed it. Back to the ship around noon, quick bite to eat and its off to town. About 2:00 Nancy says she doesn't feel that well and maybe we should go back. Back on the ship she proceeds to get sicker as the day goes on. Finally at about 8:00 or Nancy is VERY sick so I go to the infirmary to see if they have anything for upset stomach etc. Well once I described her symptoms they say they want to see her right away. After the doctors exam, blood tests, etc., she is diagnosed with a norovirus and we are now quarentined to our cabin for 48 hours! OH BOY! For those of you that are thinking "no problem" think again. Your sailpass is entered into the computer so that if you use it anywhere on the ship or if you try to get off the ship it is flagged that you are quarentined and the infirmary is notified immediately. Further, in the infirmary RCCL requires you to sign that you will abide by the quarentine rules and ignoring them or violating them can have severe consequences. Such as if you decide you do not want to comply with quarentine they can put you off the ship at the nearest port and the local health officials are notified of your contagious condition. We know this is not RCCL fault and they have very strick CDC guidlines and reporting procedures they must follow, but it still SUCKED! So now its 48 hours later, Thursday night 8:00 and we go to the infirmary to get our "get out of jail" papers (yes they actually issue a release). Of course Nancy was feeling just fine as was I. No more symptoms or problems. The alternative was continued quarentine. It was too late for dinner that night and we did not have much of an appetite anyway. On Fri and Sat we stayed close by the ship, missing our day trip to St John and just couldn't bring ourselves to dinner at night. What a shame. The AOS was a spectacular ship and we can't say enough about the crew and staff. They did all they could to make a bad situatiuon as best as possible. We will cruise again and will cruise RCCL again.

What a nightmare! I got a touch of something one night, but it passed quickly. You went thru one of my worst nightmares. I hope that your next adventure is a much better one!

BRL

BRL:

Were you able to find anything about which cell phone service was used in Aruba and the other islands?

Thanks,

Katie

Sorry Katie - I was not able to find out anything about what cell service was utilized in Aruba. I know our Cellphones worked in San Juan and St. Thomas - but we did not try anywhere else.

Oh my God! Indeed, what JJK2008 went thorugh is the worst I guess! Did you ever find out if yoyr case was an isolated one, or if an outbreak did occur and was further spreading was quickly avoided? What did you eat if you remember?

I am soooo worried about this kind of stuff happening whenever I depart. My parents sailed the AOTS for the first time last October, and on Monday a hurricane advisory was issued for the WHOLE Caribbean area!! And they had already cancelled their cruise in April due to one of my grandfather's health (my Dad's Dad, he passed away in June). So they were "ridin' the storm out', or rather AVOIDING it all week long! I was so worried about them!

I'm glad you felt better, and hopefully RCCL will somehow make some kind of arrangement for your next trip to make up for what you went through.

Oh my God! Indeed, what JJK2008 went thorugh is the worst I guess! Did you ever find out if yoyr case was an isolated one, or if an outbreak did occur and was further spreading was quickly avoided? What did you eat if you remember?

I am soooo worried about this kind of stuff happening whenever I depart. My parents sailed the AOTS for the first time last October, and on Monday a hurricane advisory was issued for the WHOLE Caribbean area!! And they had already cancelled their cruise in April due to one of my grandfather's health (my Dad's Dad, he passed away in June). So they were "ridin' the storm out', or rather AVOIDING it all week long! I was so worried about them!

I'm glad you felt better, and hopefully RCCL will somehow make some kind of arrangement for your next trip to make up for what you went through.

I've heard wonderful things about your home city (Ponce). For future visits to Puerto Rico, would you suggest we visit your fair city? :)

Archived