11AM Flight, Port Canaveral to Orlando

oooohDonna

Ok, am I nuts, (don't answer that :eek:) I booked return flight home for 11AM. Ship due in port at 7AM. I just have to figure out the best, cheapest and quickest way to get to Orlando for 11AM flight out.

Do you guys think I can make that time if I do self debark and ship is on time to port?

I know that is really cutting it close and I did not want to do it, but the price was GOOD!

And flying Southwest so if I should miss that time, I can go on a later flight and they do not charge you to change, I don't think, unless the price at that later time IS more. Which they have one leaving at 5:55 for same price as 11AM one. And they have one leaving at 1:30 but it IS about $30-40 more. So thinking it's worth it to take the chance.

Would you?

And any tips on getting off ship and how to get to airport quick would be much appreciated too. Thanks everyone! :D

For $30-$40 you're going to put yourself through this anxiety ? Sorry, that's nuts. You would need to be at the airport between 9:30 and 10:00, which means you need to leave the port by about 8:30. Way too many things can go wrong to keep that from happening.

How are you getting from Port Canaveral to Orlando International? The only way I see this having a chance to work is if you have someone waiting for you at Port Canaveral so you can just jump in the car as soon as you get through customs. Then all you have to worry about is that the ship isn't delayed arriving, there are no hiccups in Homeland Protection clearing the ship, you actually are near the front of the line for self-debark, customs is full staffed and starts on time, and there are no traffic issues on the way to the airport. That's how you want to end your vacation?

I think you're crazy.

On Fascination last month, the self-disembarkation did not even begin until after 8 am because they kept calling and calling and calling a couple of people who had not reported to immigrations (all non-US citizens must do this early on the day of return). They cannot begin to disembark until all those people have been cleared.

And THEN they call even the self-disembark people by floor.

THEN you have to get your luggage. And find your shuttle. And fight the traffic all the way to Orlando.

It isn't worth it. I booked an early evening flight last May (on Southwest). It was just as cheap as the early flight. Rented a car for 1-way from Avis (who will pick you up at the pier) and spent one last relaxing day in Cocoa Beach. When we finally went to the airport, there were a couple of our dinner mates who had taken the Carnival shuttle and been sitting in the airport for about 7 hours doing nothing.

I'm nuts :eek:

Yea, I know.

The thing is, if I don't make it, they have later flights.

The afternoon flight was more than the 11 am flight anyway, so pay later instead of now, I guess.

We are actually 3 ppl. and the other 2 have a 11:15 flight, LOL!

We could catch a cab to the airport right? Expensive YES, but might work.

Yea, I know.

The afternoon flight was more than the 11 am flight anyway, so pay later instead of now, I guess.

Yep, a cab would take up all the savings you made on the flight Im thinking. You are aware how far it it to Orlando right? If you were going out of Ft Lauderdale and coming into Port Everglades fine, but for this port Id allow until Noon myself. But Im not a gambler..

We did make it off the ship by 8 am, so its possible. We did self disembark.

We did this trip 2 years ago, and there is no way I would leave this flight as is. Not worth the worry and what if the later flights are full? We rented a car and drove back to the airport, but you have to wait for the shuttle, get to rental place, get car and load your luggage, then drive like a bat out of h***, return car.......nope. You may lose the weight you gained on the cruise in sweat!!

Yea, I know.

IF there is a seat on the later flight

I might change to 6PM. :rolleyes:

But, contacted a service, will pick the 3 of us up and take to airport for $100, that's $33 per person. I have to pay to get to airport regardless, so that is not a issue.

I'm thinking if it's a hour drive and we got off as late as 9, airport by 10, we would be ok. Does that make sense?

I know it all revolves around everything going smoothly. Would be taking a chance I know.

In October, we didn't do self assist so I can't really speak to what time that group got off...and come to think of it, I don't even remember what time it started! So, I'm no help there. :o

In terms of missing the flight and taking a later one, knock on wood, it hasn't happened to me. But I know when I've tried to take an earlier SW flight than what I was supposed to be on, they would charge the difference between the fare I paid and the fare as if I booked that day. And the fare difference was usual anywhere from $75 up.

At lot of people (myself included) do the one way car rentals from the port to Orlando. Maybe look into doing that...hit Downtown Disney or something to look around and eat before going to the airport? And you can generally get a one way rental for less than the $100 the service will charge.

I might change to 6PM. :rolleyes:

But, contacted a service, will pick the 3 of us up and take to airport for $100, that's $33 per person. I have to pay to get to airport regardless, so that is not a issue.

You dont say if you plan on doing self assist to debark the ship?

That to me would be the deciding point.

In terms of missing the flight and taking a later one, knock on wood, it hasn't happened to me. But I know when I've tried to take an earlier SW flight than what I was supposed to be on, they would charge the difference between the fare I paid and the fare as if I booked that day. And the fare difference was usual anywhere from $75 up..

I took an earlier flight and SW charged me $94!!! yikes. yes a last minute change you pay full fare and I had booked at the 2 weeks out fare.

Donna, as long as things go well, you get to the port on time and customs clears the ship on time for debarkation, you'll be fine, if you change your flights now, and your sitting at the airport at 10am you'll be kicking yourself. You know the risks, you're willing to pay the extra if it doesn't work out as you visualize.

I personally don't ever book a flight before 1pm, but then I don't like living dangerously.

Since Southwest doesn't assign seats you may not be able to sit together going home, that is the only thing.

Carnival will let you off with the first group, which is why they ask for flight info.

In March they will have to hunt me like a wild animal and then physically carry me off the ship:D Don't want early debarkation, don't want debarkation at all

Carole

I took an earlier flight and SW charged me $94!!! yikes. yes a last minute change you pay full fare and I had booked at the 2 weeks out fare.

That's usually what mine end up coming in at...and since I tend to fly SW for the short hops (Phx to Las Vegas, San Diego), there are practically flights every hour. I hate sitting there and watching them board but I'm too "frugal" to pay almost $100 just to get home an hour and a half or so earlier. :o

Yea, I know.

I hope you realize that Southwest fares are usually 14 or 21 day advance fares. The fare that you would get on the later flight on the same day at the airport will probably be much more. I would schedule the later flight now, and rent a car at AVIS (about $30-35 one way). It's not worth the stress to try for the earlier flight.

cat22

At Orlando, Southwest recommends that you are there for check-in 2 hours in advance, so for an 11am flight, they recommend 9am. I don't know what their baggage cutoff time is but typically it's 30-45 minutes before a flight.

Yes, you can get on a later flight IF there are seats available. But out of Orlando, the later flights are the most popular as people either are coming off a ship and can't make the earlier flights OR want to eke out at least part of the day at the parks. You will also pay the difference between your advance purchase fare and the current walk up fare for that later flight, which can be quite a difference (the best way to estimate the extra fare is to look at the business select or anytime fares, and that is what you'd probably pay for a walk-up fare).

For the sake of $30-40 I would be taking the later flight and not risking it.

Hello and thank you for all the opinions. I took everyone's advise and changed to the 6PM flight!

And so did my sister. She is flying to a different city. Her flight was 11:15 and mine was 11 and we both changed to 6:00 and her's to 6:45.

So that worked out real good. We can rent a car, split cost between the 3 of us and do what we want till time to go to airport! Woohoo, can't wait!

As one person said, there is one main road from the port to the airport. If all is clear (and no waits at toll plazas) you could be at the airport in about 45 minutes after meeting your transportation. Again, that is if everything is perfect.

Keep in mind that the check-in lines and security lines at Orlando are very hit or miss. While they can be short, they can (especially at busier times of year--winter and spring) be very long. I've waited 45 minutes for security and seen lines with that long of a a wait to check in (even at 6 am).

You say that you would pay more for the afternoon flight. If you miss your morning flight you could face paying a lot more--standby for later flights, food and even hotel. Yes, I said hotel because it is possible that there will not be seats on later flights and you could have to spend the night in Orlando. Orlando is a very difficult city to fly stand-by from.

As one person said, there is one main road from the port to the airport. If all is clear (and no waits at toll plazas) you could be at the airport in about 45 minutes after meeting your transportation. Again, that is if everything is perfect.

Keep in mind that the check-in lines and security lines at Orlando are very hit or miss. While they can be short, they can (especially at busier times of year--winter and spring) be very long. I've waited 45 minutes for security and seen lines with that long of a a wait to check in (even at 6 am).

You say that you would pay more for the afternoon flight. If you miss your morning flight you could face paying a lot more--standby for later flights, food and even hotel. Yes, I said hotel because it is possible that there will not be seats on later flights and you could have to spend the night in Orlando. Orlando is a very difficult city to fly stand-by from.

Thank you, those are all very good points, especially for the airport. I'm glad I changed!!!

• Administrators
Hello and thank you for all the opinions. I took everyone's advise and changed to the 6PM flight!

And so did my sister. She is flying to a different city. Her flight was 11:15 and mine was 11 and we both changed to 6:00 and her's to 6:45.

So that worked out real good. We can rent a car, split cost between the 3 of us and do what we want till time to go to airport! Woohoo, can't wait!

I think that was a good call. The reason the price for those before-noon flights was so "good" is that the airlines know that cruise passengers (mostly) aren't going to be able to make them.

Hope you have a great time!

Archived