Boats at Paynes Bay?

RedRox

Hello,

Can someone tell me who has been on Paynes Bay:

I know that the turtles are not too far from the beach on Paynes Bay, but are there any small boats or vendors right on the beach who will take us out there for a bit without reservations? If so, what is the price? For those who have done the swim, how intense is it?

Thanks for any info.

Hello,

We were at Paynes Bay in late December 2008 - off the Noordam. We took a taxi there - my husband, myself and our two kids aged 7 and 10.

We walked through to the beach near the Blue Monkey (which is now closed). Our taxi driver jumped out and found someone on the beach who had a small glass bottom boat. This fellow charged us $15 each to swim with the Turtles and then to snorkel over a shipwreck further up the coast. I think we were out on the water for well over an hour.

The water was as I understand unusually choppy - my daughters had no problem snorkelling with the turtles but it was too wavy for them over the shipwreck.

Since there wasn't anywhere to get lunch at Paynes Bay - we then went down to Lobster Alive on Carlise Bay for lunch and swimming. We loved Barbados and booked a trip there for March.

I've been to Paynes bay for last 5 years swimming with Turtles, much cheaper than via ship,plenty of glass bottom boats to take you out,and onto sunken ship to snorkel,one tip go early 9.30-10 before all the cruise trips arrive and have turtles to yourselves later there are loads of people following them,it,s also a nice beach, for lunch the hotel's will serve you prices in. barbados $ shown outside.But maybe 'alpmac can tell you a better place to eat.Plenty of taxi around or get outward taxi to pick you up they have always turned up

Last year we went to Surfside Beach, which is in Holetown. There were people there that would take you to the turtles. There is also a restaurant there(same name). You can check out this beach by looking at our pictures below in my sgnature(Barbados Pictures).

• 4 months later...

We were there a few weeks ago. We took a cab to Paynes Bay, rented chairs and an umbrella. My family snorkeled from the beach and they were swimming with the turtles. They didn't go out on any boat and were able to snorkel with the turtles before all of the crowds arrived.

We thought the beach was very nice. There were some vendors but once you said no, they didn't bother you. We went early in the morning and left around 11:30 because we had booked another excursion. It was not crowded and we were the only ship in port.

Archived