Eco-Friendly question

terkatz56

I am a new cruise addicted person who has gotten some flack about cruising. On HALS website I have seen in the news releases (NOV 12-08) that they are making some progress in responsible environmental practices. I can't remember where I read, that the one of the largest cruise ship travels 6 inches for every gallon of diesel, I was astonished, I realize they probably don't get good "mileage" but didn't realize it would be that bad. My question, is there a website that can tell me what lines are working hard on these eco-issues and what progress is being made? Or is there someone out there "in the know"? Thanks for any help and info for my "defense".

A modern cruise ship, say the Zuiderdam or the Carnival Spirit, travels very roughly about 50 feet per gallon when cruising at 18-20 knots. That's roughly 100 gallons per mile, or about 20 passenger-miles per gallon, assuming 2000 passengers. Include the crew and consumptiion is nearer to 30 person-miles per gallon. Bigger ships (e.g. Grand Princess class) and older ships (QE2) burn more fuel. (Note: these figures are good estimates, not precise values)

Ship fuel (usually known as "bunker" fuel) is nothing like the stuff you put in your car, it's almost like tar, indeed at room temperatures it barely pours at all and has to be heated to about 130C/265F before it's liquid enough to be injected into the ship's huge diesel engines.

VP

Thanks all for the good info, I will pass this along to my (seemly jealous?) friends. I think that things will change more and more with the cruise industry concerning the environment. And memory jogged it was the travel channel that I heard that info from.

You really do have to check out Celebrity's Solstice class. I have no idea if overall it is nearly as environmentally friendly as they "sell" it, I suspect not, but it is an interesting concept. I imagine it is more "green" that ships of comperable size because of all the solar.

I think you should call the cruise lines you use and ask them some hard questions. They need to know that their customers are concerned about the environment.

Global warming is a farce. 650 climatologists just debunked the global warming myth at the UN Global Warming Conference in Poland in 12/2008. Pick whatever ship you want to cruise on and enjoy without guilt. If 650 scientists cannot convince you then there is still Star Clipper and Windstar sailing ships. :D

Global warming is a farce. 650 climatologists just debunked the global warming myth at the UN Global Warming Conference in Poland in 12/2008. Pick whatever ship you want to cruise on and enjoy without guilt. If 650 scientists cannot convince you then there is still Star Clipper and Windstar sailing ships. :D

I wasn't so much thinking about the global warming (fact or fallacy) but the taking care of what we have, cleaner water, recycling, more independence from foreign oil. There is always room for improvement and the traveling public should demand it. I realize the changes are coming and am just interested in what is being done and will be done. I love HAL and they (as well as others) seem to be stepping up to the plate, small steps but at least stepping up. Happy Travels to you.

I wouldn't be defending myself because I wouldn't have friends who were judgmental of my personal choices like that. I'd probably tell them to mind their own flippin business, and it's too bad they feel that way because I'd been planning to pay for them to go on a cruise with me. :D

Seriously, do you evaluate their lives for how and where they drive and if they could possibly drive less and did they really need to drive to the Whole Foods with a Piggly Wiggly 5 miles closer, or that restaurant on the other side of town when there are plenty right by their house, and did they take a plane/drive to their vacations when they could have stayed home or do you go into their homes and evaluate their daily recycling habits etc.? Why do they feel the right to evaluate your choices then?:rolleyes:

I wouldn't be defending myself because I wouldn't have friends who were judgmental of my personal choices like that. I'd probably tell them to mind their own flippin business, and it's too bad they feel that way because I'd been planning to pay for them to go on a cruise with me. :D

Seriously, do you evaluate their lives for how and where they drive and if they could possibly drive less and did they really need to drive to the Whole Foods with a Piggly Wiggly 5 miles closer, or that restaurant on the other side of town when there are plenty right by their house, and did they take a plane/drive to their vacations when they could have stayed home or do you go into their homes and evaluate their daily recycling habits etc.? Why do they feel the right to evaluate your choices then?:rolleyes:

I may have used the wrong term "defense" in my first post. I was not offended by their comments, but rather wondering what was being done and changing for the cruise industry, if the comments held merit. Since I was not knowledgable of this I decided to try and get info here.

I surround myself with all sorts of people whom I do not always see eye to eye with, but that is what makes the friendships interesting. IMHO, it would be boring to have cookie cutter friendships. I don't believe that I was being evaluated by them, but given some information which didn't always look kindly on the cruise industry. As I am getting more and more info, I find that not all the comments hold merit. I try to have knowledgable conversations and coming to this board is one of my resources. I googled green cruises, lo and behold the 1st page to come up, was CC's article (10-22-07) on what each line is doing for the environment, it is an interesting read.

A modern cruise ship, say the Zuiderdam or the Carnival Spirit, travels very roughly about 50 feet per gallon when cruising at 18-20 knots. That's roughly 100 gallons per mile, or about 20 passenger-miles per gallon, assuming 2000 passengers. Include the crew and consumptiion is nearer to 30 person-miles per gallon. Bigger ships (e.g. Grand Princess class) and older ships (QE2) burn more fuel. (Note: these figures are good estimates, not precise values)

Ship fuel (usually known as "bunker" fuel) is nothing like the stuff you put in your car, it's almost like tar, indeed at room temperatures it barely pours at all and has to be heated to about 130C/265F before it's liquid enough to be injected into the ship's huge diesel engines.

VP

Thank-you for your info, that makes more sense. Is there a story behind your name? Just curious, if your willing to share.

Archived