When to book airfare for Oct. 2009 cruise to Boston?

cruisers4ever

Looking for any suggestions/thoughts as to when to book airfare for our upcoming New England cruise..we are flying into Boston...just not sure with the way the economy is where fuel will be..do I book now or wait..anyone going my way I'd love to hear your thoughts. thanks.

I can't answer about economy because we fly on DH's frequent flyer miles. But, depending on which weekend you are sailing, you might need to go ahead and book to ensure that you'll be able to get tickets. We are going to be flying into Boston on Columbus Day weekend and the frequent flyer seats have been gone for a while. (I booked the first day available, but have looked to see if a better schedule came up.) Columbus Day weekend is apparently a big fall foliage weekend for Boston as well as Parent's Day for the local colleges and universities.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruisers4ever,

I wouldn't wait too long waiting for a bargain into Boston. I live here and fly almost weekly for work and rarely see flights get cheaper the closer you get. The other poster is right too, October can be a busy weekend travel month here because of Parent's Weekends at our many fine universities and colleges and because of an international rowing race one weekend.

I have found that, at least with Delta, if I book a flight and the price declines, and I call them, they will adjust the price down and credit me the difference.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your visit this fall!

Lynne

I booked our air from Denver to Boston during that time period last November. I wanted to fly straight thru and not have to worry about losing luggage or missing a flight for a second or third leg of a trip. A little over $300 each, and I am very happy with that price. I could have gotten some flights that cost a little less, but they had several stopovers and got in late to Boston. The one I bought leaves Denver at a good time in the morning and gets in to Boston at 2:00 pm. I guess I don't like to wait and then end up with some very expensive flights. I'd rather pay a good price that I am happy with and then not look back.;)

Cruisers4ever,

I wouldn't wait too long waiting for a bargain into Boston. I live here and fly almost weekly for work and rarely see flights get cheaper the closer you get. The other poster is right too, October can be a busy weekend travel month here because of Parent's Weekends at our many fine universities and colleges and because of an international rowing race one weekend.

I have found that, at least with Delta, if I book a flight and the price declines, and I call them, they will adjust the price down and credit me the difference.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your visit this fall!

Lynne

Lynne:

When we booked our cruise for Oct 10-17, I did not realize that the HOTC regattta was the weekend following our cruise. I belong to a rowing club and would be very interested in seeing this event. Can you perhaps give me any information about this? How easy is it to get to? (I'm a bit hesitant to stay an extra day because I think that flying out on Sunday will be crazy.... ya think?)

Thanks in advance....

• 2 weeks later...

Janetmojo - I hope you and your parents are doing well (we had a wonderful time on the Radiance cruise back in 2006) ... nice to "see" you!!!

We purchased tickets form Boston to San Juan last September for this August and the prices never did go any lower (they have gone up a little). Its American, so I'm waiting to see if they rearrange the schedule. Its non-stop (amazing!!) in the morning ... the perfect flight (I'm sure they will change something! :rolleyes:. Jan

Julia,

Here is a map of the Head of the Charles in 2008. I assume the 2009 route will be very similar. It would be easiest to get to the area near the start line to mid point (near Harvard Square). The T stations are pretty well marked on the map. Warning it is a very well attended event so you may have to get there early in the day to see much of anything. Getting a spot on one of the bridges is particularly tough.

http://www.hocr.org/pdf/08HOCR-RacecourseMap2.pdf

Not sure where you are flying from but there are some REALLY good deals to Boston for Fall right now. I just booked for less than $200RT nonstop out of Atlanta for Sept and my parents got RT $288 from Phoenix for the same dates.

Thanks..we just booked...were waiting for Jet Blue out of Ft. Lauderdale, Fl..got some great times and rates for October...booked my room...we are set and ready!

Archived