bad reviews on pacific sun

harmony71

Hi Emma,

There will always be a few people who are not happy with a situation, but in our years of cruising the vast majority we have spoken to have been having a fantastic time. Sounds like you are a seasoned traveller and have a great attitude. You will have a ball. :D:D

Our Sun Princess cruise to Tahiti was on a beautiful ship, we had great staff/crew, fantastic weather and beautiful ports. One man I had lunch with just complained and complained about the ports. When I mentioned some of the highlights he said he hadn't got off the ship in any of the ports. I wouldn't like anyone to judge Brisbane and the surrounding areas by what they would see from a ship docked at the Fishermans Island Grain Terminal, or even at Portside.:D

Cheers,

Evon.

One man I had lunch with just complained and complained about the ports. When I mentioned some of the highlights he said he hadn't got off the ship in any of the ports. .

DH and I laughed and laughed at this. A friend just back from UK to Brisbane on Aurora said someone told her that as they had visited Brisbane on two previous cruises they felt they had "done" Brisbane, so were not getting off the ship in Brisbane. Oh dear... and so much to see up here on the Sunshine Coast too.

DH and I laughed and laughed at this. A friend just back from UK to Brisbane on Aurora said someone told her that as they had visited Brisbane on two previous cruises they felt they had "done" Brisbane, so were not getting off the ship in Brisbane. Oh dear... and so much to see up here on the Sunshine Coast too.

How right you are Emma .. I find the more you go somewhere, the more you find out you haven't done yet!

I was up in the SC hinterland visiting a couple of wineries last weekend and would LOVE to go back to see more of the scenery and explore the area.

Cheers,

Moira

I think that it is also very much a matter of "the luck of the draw that day" .

When I first visited Port Vila, I was very much unimpressed with it - but on the second occasion we got a bit further out of the town and I realised how fascinating it is. Would now love to go back there for a weeklong landbased holiday.

Sydney is likewise very famous for the beauty of the Harbour - and other places, BUT - I often wonder what visittors think if they arrive at the International airport and make their way to wherever by ground transport through the South western suburbs of Sydney. (YUK!!!)

Barry

Topaz M. Agree about the sights of the hinterland, one of the reasons we settled on the Sunshine Coast after decades of living overseas was having access to the hinterland as well as the beach.

Bazzaw. We plan to do what you did and get out of Port Vila to see a bit more of the countryside while there. Good comment about that dire drive in from Sydney international airport through those dreary suburbs , hopefully most people are too bleary-eyed after a long-haul flight to notice.

This is a great example of how important it is to get the right cruise and right ship to meet your expectations. The Pacific Sun is a 3+ star ship, and this reviewer was obviously expecting a 5 star ship.

Expecting windows that are clean - stay at a land-based hotel. The ship is at sea and as such will get splashed by the occasional wave. Sure it's not pleasant to look out a salt-encrusted window, but they do get cleaned occassionally.

Expecting the pools to be heated - the water comes from the sea and is treated and pumped straight in - sorry, take whatever temperature the sea is. If it's too cold, don't go in! I would rather pay a cheaper fare and have a colder pool.

Expecting the ship's progress and position to be displayed on the TV - is that a reason to complain? It's all available on the chart on display on Deck 10 anyway.

It's also hugely arrogant on the part of the reviewer to assume that all passengers feel the same they do. And I've never heard of P&O having a reputation for changing itineraries- all companies have to from time to time but I wouldn't say P&O have a reputation for it.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that this reviewer obviously had a bad time- I'm just taking issue with some of their unrealistic expectations.

Defintely Amen to this reviewer. At the end of the day, who has time to complain about most things people complain about on this site. I thought British people complained but my god so do some Aussies.

Quote: I can appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinions but to the point off complaining about which direction the ship travelling pfft, who cares what direction the ship is travelling, god why go on a cruise if your concerned about what direction the ship is going, would you not agree this is most likely the responsibility of the Captain to know peoples lol.

I agree with Riff, people should not assume everyone who sales on P&O have the same opinion. The amount of times I have sailed with P&O, my level of satisfaction keeps growing and growing, can not fault P&O one bit. Yeah they company has to make decisions weather that be to alter to itinerary etc, but again leave this up to the experts who are trained and qualified and deal with things like this on a day to day basis....... plus P&O terms and conditions do clearly state that the Captain has the right to change coarse if required.

Anyway, hi to all, am new to this site, thought this site would be more of a poisitive site, where people share positive experiences, but dont have time to read complaining......... chin up humans, the world aint that bad.

Lola Bunny

I am not quite sure how you would expect P & O would know what interests you have that allow them to place you with other people at dinner who have a common interest with you ??:):)

But, it does appear to me that there indeed are different "categories" of people travelling on P & O Cruises - those categories being very much age related. HOWEVER - the same situation applies to other things. EG There are bus tours through Europe that are obviously related to different age groups. The organisers of one do, to a certain extent, attempt to make it clear who they are aiming their tours at (ie I think one clearly says that it is aimed at 20-35 year olds)

But, it seems to me that, here in Australia, cruise passengers fall into 3 quite distinct categories - firstly the "singles" crowd, secondly the married (with 2.3 children and a mortgage crowd) and thirdly the retired "old farts" crowd (to whom I belong ;))

Our problem is that we all do not know who will be the prevalent group on any cruise that we take - EXCEPT for our brains. So - for me, I would avoid short cruises, especially during school holidays - and ESPECIALLY cruises to "nowhere" for 3 nights out of Sydney ;)

I recommend that you don't take any cruises longer than (say 21 days) on a cruiseship that is doing a world cruise ;)

Barry

P&O clearly advertise the below on their website:

Who Holidays with P&O Cruises?

Today, cruising has been recognised as one of the fastest growing sectors of the Australian tourism industry. According to the latest International Cruise Council Australasia statistics, the number of Australians taking cruise holidays increased by eighteen per cent to more than 220,000 in 2006.

P&O Cruises’ passengers come from all over the world, with its ships offering something for everyone. In fact, almost 30 per cent of passengers are families and about 45 per cent are couples, while more than 20 per cent are friends travelling together.

Cruise lovers range from children to retirees, with 31% of passengers aged 0-29, 49% aged 30-59 and 20% aged over 60.The average age of adults who travel on P&O Cruises is 47. Across all age groups, including children, the average age is 42.Cruising’s appeal across a wide range of lifestyles and life stages means passengers just keep coming back year after year; more than 40 per cent of passengers that sail with P&O Cruises are repeat customers.:eek:

P&O clearly advertise the below on their website:

Who Holidays with P&O Cruises?

Today, cruising has been recognised as one of the fastest growing sectors of the Australian tourism industry. According to the latest International Cruise Council Australasia statistics, the number of Australians taking cruise holidays increased by eighteen per cent to more than 220,000 in 2006.

P&O Cruises’ passengers come from all over the world, with its ships offering something for everyone. In fact, almost 30 per cent of passengers are families and about 45 per cent are couples, while more than 20 per cent are friends travelling together.

Cruise lovers range from children to retirees, with 31% of passengers aged 0-29, 49% aged 30-59 and 20% aged over 60.The average age of adults who travel on P&O Cruises is 47. Across all age groups, including children, the average age is 42.Cruising’s appeal across a wide range of lifestyles and life stages means passengers just keep coming back year after year; more than 40 per cent of passengers that sail with P&O Cruises are repeat customers.:eek:

Don't think people from all over the world travel on the Pacific Sun, they tell me thongs are now the favorite footwear of the majority of the passengers boarding in Brisbane.

:):):):):)

Don't think people from all over the world travel on the Pacific Sun, they tell me thongs are now the favorite footwear of the majority of the passengers boarding in Brisbane.

:):):)

Have you seen the price of a good pair of thongs lately?? ;) :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well we sailed on the Pacific Sun N911 March 21, and absolutey loved it, my only complaint was the anytime dining and whether you need to book or not, nobody really sure how this works. Ship was clean, staff were fantastic heaps to do ashame mother nature didnt co-operate with the weather. But let me tell you it was such a great holiday. Pacific Sun might only be a 3 star ship, but being on holiday, and not at home in my eyes with was 10 star plus.

We sailed March 28th N912. Sure there were problems but what holiday is not enhanced by a bit of adventure. If it was all perfect, you would expect more perfection next time. A HOLIDAY IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. You can complain about everything going and you will not enjoy your holiday or you can look on the bright side and see it as an experience.

We have travelled on Pacific Sun twice and do not have any major complaints. The staff and crew work very hard and everything runs very smoothly.

We have also travelled on Holland America's Ryndam which is a 5* ship. We could see the differences but accept that Pacific Sun is not 5* and they don't claim to be.

Enjoy your holiday and make memories to bring back with you.

Lilly

We sailed March 28th N912. Sure there were problems but what holiday is not enhanced by a bit of adventure. If it was all perfect, you would expect more perfection next time. A HOLIDAY IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. You can complain about everything going and you will not enjoy your holiday or you can look on the bright side and see it as an experience.

We have travelled on Pacific Sun twice and do not have any major complaints. The staff and crew work very hard and everything runs very smoothly.

We have also travelled on Holland America's Ryndam which is a 5* ship. We could see the differences but accept that Pacific Sun is not 5* and they don't claim to be.

Enjoy your holiday and make memories to bring back with you.

Lilly

well said

we had been two times on the pacific sun first time we had very bad service and second time we were late in to one port and the ship broke down and we mist a port, but we still had a good time i know a lot of people didnt because all they did was complain about it and because they focest on the bad they made the rest of the cruise bad for then selves, we just went with and made the best of it and had fun and we will sort it when got home, we are booked on the dawn next yr and were looking at booking on the sun later this yr but P&O are not doing cruise n936 any more its n936n know and its not the same cruise o well we find something else to do or go on .

Hi Steve,

I agree with your attitude. If something isn't to your liking it is better not to focus on it, and just get on and have a great time regardless. I think some people will complain no matter what happens. :):)

Evon.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on the Sun 3 times now, and once on the Star.

I love the Sun. End of story. Going to be very sad when it leaves Brisbane for Fremantle...

The bad reviews are probably older passengers who, as Cruise Director Michael said, belong on the Queens Mary, where the average age is...I won't say the rest.

P&O are a cheaper cruise line, most definitely. But for the money you pay, what you get is bloody awesome. $140 a day for accommodation, food, and a different view out your window every morning? What hotel on land can offer that?

Basically, it is what you make of it. You go there and make fun for yourself, you will have a blast.

Has the waterslide been removed. We are going on 27 May and my kids were really looking forward to it.

How does 'Your Choice Dining' work on Pacific Sun. We've been on the ship in October 07.

The waterslide was removed last year.

The Pacific Sun has two dining rooms. In one you need to book for dinner, either an early sitting or a late sitting. At the other dining room you just roll up when you are ready and if there is space you can go in. If there isn't a table available they will give you a pager. It would still work better if you go before 6.30pm or 8pm and later. They generally need to have two sittings use each table to fit everyone in. There will be information in your cabin advising how it works. Keep in mind that the buffet is now open for dinner (as well as Breakfast and lunch as it always was).

Evon.

How does 'Your Choice Dining' work on Pacific Sun. We've been on the ship in October 07.

Hi, we just returned from a cruise on Pacific Sun on Saturday. Evon is correct in that the first copy of the Pacific Daily in your cabin tells you how it works - except we found the explanation a bit confusing.:confused: Must have been just us...

The Bordeaux restuarant is what they describe as the "Your Choice Dining" restaurant. My advice, if you want to dine at a particular time, go to the Bordeaux restaurant (or phone 3000) as soon as you embark and make a reservation for that night. They suggest either between 5.30 pm and 6.00 pm, or after 7.30pm. So in effect there are two sittings. We only started going to this restaurant on the third night, were offered a 7.45 pm booking, which was fine for us then, and for the rest of the cruise. I assume someone else had booked at 6pm. Occasionally we still had to wait, never longer than ten minutes. With children in tow I am assuming you would want to eat sooner than that. If you like the first table and waitstaff you are assigned, then you could request the same table for other nights. You can only make a reservation the day before, however.

The Burgundy restaurant is described in the Pacific Daily as an Open Sitting restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We greatly preferred the Bordeaux restaurant to the Burgundy restaurant, where they do not make reservations and you just line up. There always seemed to be a line, but I think it moved quickly, and it does give you more flexibility. Did not try the buffet for dinner, but with kids that might also be an option.

Hi, we just returned from a cruise on Pacific Sun on Saturday. Evon is correct in that the first copy of the Pacific Daily in your cabin tells you how it works - except we found the explanation a bit confusing.:confused: Must have been just us...

The Bordeaux restuarant is what they describe as the "Your Choice Dining" restaurant. My advice, if you want to dine at a particular time, go to the Bordeaux restaurant (or phone 3000) as soon as you embark and make a reservation for that night. They suggest either between 5.30 pm and 6.00 pm, or after 7.30pm. So in effect there are two sittings. We only started going to this restaurant on the third night, were offered a 7.45 pm booking, which was fine for us then, and for the rest of the cruise. I assume someone else had booked at 6pm. Occasionally we still had to wait, never longer than ten minutes. With children in tow I am assuming you would want to eat sooner than that. If you like the first table and waitstaff you are assigned, then you could request the same table for other nights. You can only make a reservation the day before, however.

The Burgundy restaurant is described in the Pacific Daily as an Open Sitting restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We greatly preferred the Bordeaux restaurant to the Burgundy restaurant, where they do not make reservations and you just line up. There always seemed to be a line, but I think it moved quickly, and it does give you more flexibility. Did not try the buffet for dinner, but with kids that might also be an option.

yes thats what we found when we were on the pacific sun in28/03/2009, but i would just like to add to that yes you should to book for the first night and after that if you want to have the same table and same time or even if want a different table when you are leaving the dinning room rebook with staff at the reception in the dinning room, thats what we did and it worked for as we have 2.5 yr old very well same table same time same waiter every night.

Thanks for that, we were wondering how it worked. We were on the last cruise on Pacific Sun to have fixed dining. We're going on Sun again in December, so it's good to hear how it works.

Thanks for that, we were wondering how it worked. We were on the last cruise on Pacific Sun to have fixed dining. We're going on Sun again in December, so it's good to hear how it works.

I think they are still working out some of the kinks though..As thied says, make the next night's booking after you finish dinner. That worked for us too. We pretty much hated our experiences with the Burgundy restaurant - tried one lunch, one breakfast and one dinner. Then gave up on it and decamped to the Bordeaux where we were happy...

Archived