Princess (Ruby/Emerald) vs NCL??

JEDIKNIGHT

Hello everyone....

In the midst of planning a trip for us, my in-laws and 10 month DD and was hoping to get some observations from you all.

Basically, NCL vs Princess....has anyone cruised both?

*Service, where was it better?

*Food: Where was it better as in served hot, flavor, freshness, etc?

IN-laws are from overseas, 1st cruise. I'm fully in charge of planning their trip, and taking care of DD so DW and in-laws can enjoy. Is there some kind of room category that gets you boarding privileges, restaurant priority, etc?

Thank you.

My only impression of NCL in Hawaii is their tenders looked really dirty while our Princess tenders looked nice and clean. I've been on many Princess ships and the Ruby Princess is my new favorite. I believe NCL is not as financially strong as Princess which you may want to consider.

see, these are the things that get people on the defensive. Are you aware, NCL was one if not the only cruise line in the black the 3rd quarter of last year? NCLA and NCL are a little different and unless you have been on both lines it is a bit unfair to judge. You have a right to you impressions but often impressions without experience can be very misleading.

Now to the OP,what NCl ship are you considering? Remember, the Rudy is brand new and new ships are always fun...

We fiind the service similar on both lines, it depends on the sailing and the luck of the draw. We have had both good and bad on both. I give the entree food on Princess the nod over NCL, especially if you like seafood, but the buffets on NCL the thumbs up, especially lately. We did not have a good experience with breakfast on Princess, but again, it could have just been the 2 times we ate in the dining room. We prefer Freestyle to Personal Choice, others feel differently and still others see no difference...

As for priority boarding generally you have to book suites or be repeat guests to qualify.

Believe me both lines are more similar than different, choose based on itinerary and price, unless the NCL ship you are considering is older.

Nita

I've been on both. I prefer Princess, but for a first time cruiser, NCL offers a terrific product. Each line does things slightly differently, from what they offer to how the ships are designed. I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the NCL ships are as large as the Ruby or Emerald. Take that for what it's worth. Bigger doesn't always mean better. It's a matter of personal preference.

Long and short of it, IMO, is that you should choose the sailing that offers the best itinerary at the best fare. If you're happy with one, you'll likely be happy with the other.

We had nice experience on both lines, but Princess is our clear favorite.

I would like to try NCL in off school vacation time, because it doesn't have adult only pool... Had some service problems too and cabins are a bit smaller. But overall cruise experience was nice as were ships - Sun and Spirit. Your ship is newer and probably even nicer.

Ruby Princess is terrific! You really have everything.. except for free ice-cream whole day long. ;)

We've sailed Princess several times, and NCL only once. Based on our personal experiences, we most definitely enjoy Princess better. However, the NCL ship was one of their older ships that was scheduled to move out of their fleet at the end of the season and we definitely did not have a good experience on that vessel. The overall service on the NCL vessel was below what we've experienced on Princess, but some of that may have been attributed to the crew knowing the ship was leaving NCL in a few months. We also found the food in the dining room and buffets to be much better on all of the Princess ships we've sailed, and the entertainment was also better on Princess (one of the theater performers we saw on the Norwegian Crown was relegated to working as a Piazza performer on the Crown Princess the next year).

When trying to choose between the two lines, the ports of call is definitely an important consideration. You should be able to get an idea on the service and amenities on the two ships here on the boards.

Just remember, any cruise is worthwhile and enjoyable.

Hi Nita, the NCL ship would be GEM.

Princess would be Ruby or Emerald.

well that being said, I would go with the best price and itinerary. The Gem is almost new and gets really good reviews. I have been on the Jewel, the first of the Jewel class ships, I can't imagine any ship being much nicer. The big difference and it is up to your taste: decor wise, Priness is much more subdued. The Jewel class ships are bright, filled with energy and fun, but some would say, gaudy. To me, Carnival ships are gaudy, NCL, as I said Lively, not gaudy..

Nita

Archived