Golden Eagle weight question

Sheffie

We are considering going on the Golden Eagle, but see that there is a 250 lb. weight limit. There are some in our group who are over this. Has anyone had any experience with someone who is "fluffy" going on this excursion? Were they weighed? Were they denied going on the excursion?

I emailed Golden Eagle with that question and they said it was for rescue reasons. I guess in case they had to get a "fluffier" person out of the water. They said if you are comfortable in going then they were ok with it. I would email them on their website if you have any more questions.

We've been on the Golden Eagle several times (for their all-day, around the island tour, not the half day for cruisers), but I've never heard of a weight limit. I didn't see any such reference on their website.

We HAVE seen some 'persons of size' on the trips that we've been on, and have never noticed any weigh-in or such.

One concern might be that on our visits to Tintamarre there is a wet entry/exit, where a ladder drops you into about six feet of water

th_PA070065.jpg

(click)

And you really need good upper body strength to pull yourself out of the water and back up the ladder.

There are other shots over in my PhotoBucket.

gary

I emailed Golden Eagle with that question and they said it was for rescue reasons. I guess in case they had to get a "fluffier" person out of the water. They said if you are comfortable in going then they were ok with it. I would email them on their website if you have any more questions.

Great minds think alike. After I posted this question, I e-mailed them and got the exact same response.

Thanks for the help.

BIL weighs about 275 lbs, and has been on Golden Eagle 2x. I guess that as long as the person is able to hoist him/herself out of the water to walk up the ladder, there really shouldn't be a problem. As far as rescuing someone goes, getting someone to the boat in the water shouldn't be bad- but getting dead wt. up on the cat may be.

I guess that as long as the person is able to hoist him/herself out of the water to walk up the ladder, there really shouldn't be a problem.quote]

I have looked at Gary's picture and it looks like it shouldn't be too hard to haul my fluffy a** out of the water. :eek: If nothing else, my DH could hold his breath and I could shinny up his back and stand on his shoulders!!:D:D

We've been on the Golden Eagle several times (for their all-day, around the island tour, not the half day for cruisers), but I've never heard of a weight limit. I didn't see any such reference on their website.

We HAVE seen some 'persons of size' on the trips that we've been on, and have never noticed any weigh-in or such.

One concern might be that on our visits to Tintamarre there is a wet entry/exit, where a ladder drops you into about six feet of water

th_PA070065.jpg

(click)

And you really need good upper body strength to pull yourself out of the water and back up the ladder.

There are other shots over in my PhotoBucket.

gary

I am interested in this excursion for the half day that the cruise line s offering....can you tell me how the snorkeling was? That is my main purpose, for some snorkeling. Thanks!

I am interested in this excursion for the half day that the cruise line s offering....can you tell me how the snorkeling was? That is my main purpose, for some snorkeling. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that the half day tour snorkles at Tintamarre, as we did. It was in relatively shallow water down by the rocks to the left, looking towards the island. Here:

th_P4250005.jpg

(click)

I would have to say that the snorkeling was only fair at best.

The best snorkeling that we've experienced on St. Maarten was at Creole Rock. The full day Golden Eagle and some other excursions visit there.

gary

We were at Tintamarre 2x -had lots of sea urchins both times. (too many, for my taste - and one of them got a taste of my foot - ouch! Pulling that spine out wasn't pleasant) But we also saw sting rays, an eel, and tons of fish. Water was on the calm side, so I guess we were lucky!

Archived