Is Arriving in Haines and doing the Whitepass Train/Emerald Lake bus doable?

poolwife

We have a long day scheduled sailing into Haines not leaving until 11:00 p.m. I wish we were sailing into Skagway. I want to take the Chilcoot Tours that takes the train up and then the bus tour to Emerald Lake and back down. Is it possible to catch the shuttle from Haines to Skagway and do that in one day?

Thank you for the help.

I have similair schedule, arrive at 6am in Haines, departing 9pm.

It is do able.

Here is what I would advise. First is there anything offerred thru the ship.

Then call Chilcoot Tours and talk to them, they can be very helpful. See what they have to offer. Dont commit to anything yet.

Next you need to call the Fast Ferry, 1-888-766-2103 or 907-766-2100, find out if you can get tickets that will work with what Chicoot has to offer. Cruise lines tend to buy up the prime time tickets. So this may be the problem. Which is why i said check ship excursions.

I was able to get tickets, but I started early. And still did not get exactly what I wanted. Im on the 8pm Fast Ferry returning to Haines for a 9pm departure, a little closer than I'm totally comfortable, but I have been told it wouldnt be a problem, (I hope)

You need to get right on this thou.

Good luck, Post back here what you find out and do, so that other can see.

Thank you so much for the "Fast Ferry" phone number and your information. our cruise is August 28 so hopefully they aren't sold out yet.

or I guess we can rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake. A lot of people say that is really the way to go.

Thank you so much for the "Fast Ferry" phone number and your information. our cruise is August 28 so hopefully they aren't sold out yet.

or I guess we can rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake. A lot of people say that is really the way to go.

if you mean driving from haines to skagway if you can't get on the fast ferry..........you need to get a map. they're about 20 miles apart by water, but about 350 miles apart by road.

Chilkoot Charters' rail/bus tour that goes to Emerald Lake leaves at 7:30 in the morning: http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/yukonrail.htm We rented a car in Haines and drove up the Haines Highway into the Yukon. While there was no rail journey involved, it was very pretty. Since so few ships go to Haines and many go to Skagway, I'd see what I could around Haines while there, and save the rail/bus trip to the Yukon for another time when you're in Skagway.

Nancy: Maybe I will have to do that. I was hoping to take that Fast Ferry over to Skagway and then the Chilkoot tour of rail/bus to Emerald Lake. Had no idea yet that the tour left at 7:30 a.m.

Guess I don't have any choice but to see what there is around Haines.

So you suggest renting a car and driving around and seeing the scenery? That is something we do like to do. Is there anything else we shouldn't miss while there?

Nancy: Maybe I will have to do that. I was hoping to take that Fast Ferry over to Skagway and then the Chilkoot tour of rail/bus to Emerald Lake. Had no idea yet that the tour left at 7:30 a.m.

Guess I don't have any choice but to see what there is around Haines.

So you suggest renting a car and driving around and seeing the scenery? That is something we do like to do. Is there anything else we shouldn't miss while there?

We spent so much time driving around that we really didn't see the things in Haines itself. If you have The Milepost from your previous land trip, it has a very good mile-by-mile commentary on the Haines Highway. We had a LONG delay at the Canadian border, and we ended up going only as far as Million Dollar Falls. With fewer stops and no delays, you would have time to drive to Haines Junction - if desired.

As you mentioned, you could also take the ferry to Skagway and rent a car to drive to Emerald Lake.

Anyone done the drive to Emerald Lake out of Skagway and drive out of Haines? Which one is preferred since I will be in Haines? Is it worth the trouble of taking the ferry to Skagway, etc.?

I know that Yukon (Murray) had very good things to say about the Haines Highway drive, and that's why we decided to do that. If you do a search for "Haines Highway" - you should find some of his comments.

• Administrators
Anyone done the drive to Emerald Lake out of Skagway and drive out of Haines? Which one is preferred since I will be in Haines? Is it worth the trouble of taking the ferry to Skagway, etc.?

We took the rail/van tour to Emerald Lake out of Skagway, and rented a car and did the Haines Highway -- and loved both. Were we in Haines only, we would do the Haines Highway again, and then go explore downtown Haines. Haines was the most authentic, least touristy, and truest "Alaskan" feeling stop of our cruise. Until we could get OUT of Skagway, we didn't like being in it -- it felt like being on a movie set arranged for tourists. Haines felt like a place where real people live, work, go to school, etc. Your mileage may vary -- we would visit Haines again in a heartbeat, and couldn't care less if we visited Skagway again.

We enjoyed our time in Haines last early July. We drove up the Haines Hwy. to Million Dollar Falls. We used a guide that I found on Bells Alaska website. We stopped at 33 Mile Roadhouse for their great big hamburger and berry pie. Very good. We saw eagles right along the road and enjoyed the scenery. After we got back to Haines we drove 10 miles north on Lutak Road out to Chilkoot Lake (? I think that was name). We heard someone say that there were bears by a bridge near the lake but we didn't get out there in time. They said that they are out early evening. Who knows if that is true.:rolleyes: We also drove south on Mud Bay Road. On both of these roads we saw eagles.

Thank you all for your suggestions for Haines as I didn't really know what to do there. Can't do a lot of activity since hopefully I am bringing my 86 year old father. He wants to come but will see how he is feeling when it comes time for final payment.

Glad there is things to see driving outside of Haines. any other suggestions also are very appreciated.

haines is a true living town, small, unobtrusive, not overrun by tourist, and skagway is too (on days when only 1 or 2 ships are in town) but... being the dropping point for 10,000 tourists a day (when there are 5 ships in town), it CAN feel a bit like disney world.... really.

having said that,

you have a long enough day to take the first ferry to skagway, get onto the train on your own or with a tour company, (on your own just walk into the train station to buy a ticket or buy on-line ahead of time, just check that all departures meet with your ferry schedule of arrival)

or, take the first ferry and do the bus/train thing with chilkoot tours... excellent operation of tours....

upon return, ferry back to haines before the crowds, and enjoy haines.

it's the eagle capital of the usa and there are thousands of eagles... also a great museum... and don't forget the general's houses there on the big townsquare, forgot the name of it,

or still yet you could do a half-day's journey of driving outside of haines.

pick your driver well, scenery is excellent but drivers need to pay attention.

We were in Haines with Princess Cruises back in August of 2003. Haines is a beautiful port and the eagles were everywhere. We took a river float trip in rubber rafts to see the eagles and nests. We saw them of all ages. Even got stuck on the gravel bottom and had to "rock" the boat off. It was a great trip and we want to get back to Alaska soon. This trip we were on the small Pacific Princess and went to Sitka also. Some of the larger ships can not go there so that is why we chose a smaller ship that time.

No matter what you choose to do, the trip to Alaska is awesome!! Even if it is raining!!

Cruisergal

Archived