Really dumb luggage question from first timer...

cooncat_mom

DD & I are getting ready to do our first cruise out of POM shortly. We're in a "Penthouse Suite", which means VIP boarding (I gather that means a little line instead of a big one!:D)...do we give our luggage to the porters at the curb or do we bring our luggage to check-in with us?

Thanks! Have learned tons on this board!

DD & I are getting ready to do our first cruise out of POM shortly. We're in a "Penthouse Suite", which means VIP boarding (I gather that means a little line instead of a big one!:D)...do we give our luggage to the porters at the curb or do we bring our luggage to check-in with us?

Thanks! Have learned tons on this board!

Luggage goes to the porters except for hand carry items.

Other's have already given you your anwer but I wanted to just say that there are no dumb questions for first time cruisers!:) Any question that we can answer that makes getting ready for your first cruise easier is worth asking and having answered for you:) Enjoy your cruise!

Remember that the checked luggage "might" not arrive until later. So make sure you have some good clothes for your first dinner in your carry on.

I wouldn't be awfully concerned about that. The Dining rooms are very accomodating for the first dinner because they know that luggage may not have been delivered yet.

I wouldn't be awfully concerned about that. The Dining rooms are very accomodating for the first dinner because they know that luggage may not have been delivered yet.

Very true, but many people don't feel comfortable going to the DR in shorts and t-shirts (or whatever they board in). I always board with my bathing suit under my clothes, and after I eat, I'm hanging out at the pool, going down the slide, etc. I need a shower and a change of clothes before dinner!

Thanks for all the replies - you folks are the best resource! Haven't had to call Carnival with any questions! We each have a smaller suitcase and a carry-on, and the printouts say dinner is come as you travel casual, so we should be OK. (I'm old...I used to travel in church clothes, now I do a nice blouse and good black jeans - comfortable but presentable!). From what I hear, we also need a cooler with luggage tags for our water, so will pick up a cheap one in Miami. So looking forward to sitting on a balcony and seeing something besides snow!

Thanks for all the replies - you folks are the best resource! Haven't had to call Carnival with any questions! We each have a smaller suitcase and a carry-on, and the printouts say dinner is come as you travel casual, so we should be OK. (I'm old...I used to travel in church clothes, now I do a nice blouse and good black jeans - comfortable but presentable!). From what I hear, we also need a cooler with luggage tags for our water, so will pick up a cheap one in Miami. So looking forward to sitting on a balcony and seeing something besides snow!

You are only allowed to bring on a cooler 12x12x12. If you need more room pack a soft sided cooler in your luggage and you can use that in your room. You also can just put the water in a suitcase and check it in with no need for a cooler.

GL

Hmm...so if I put a 12 pack of water in a duffle with tags on it, that would be OK? We're more interested in the bottled water than in ice...Thanks for the info on tipping. I do tip everyone, but I appreciate knowing how much! In fact, I'll be doing a "tip advice" search on the boards before we leave just to be sure...

Archived