First time cruiser - Liberty Of The Seas - All help is appreciated.

kifler

Hey all!

I'm a bit overly excited for my first cruise coming up in February aboard RCI Liberty OTS.

I'm just wondering, aside from tips and drinks, any other expenses I should budget for? As far as I'm told, the process is rather simple. Check-In, get seapass card, spend and enjoy the time away from a winter wonderland, get off boat and pay.

What methods of payment are accepted?

Also, I've been reading that you pay for Johnny Rockets. Do I also pay for Ben and Jerry's, Chops, and Portofino?

Rather than make another thread, anything else you guys didn't know about cruising your first time that might help me? I'm relatively clueless about all the processes but me and 5 buddies decided to take the plunge and get our sea legs this year rather than bake away on a resort.

We're all 21-22 if that helps at all. We'll be doing the Eastern Carribean trip.

Hey all!

I'm a bit overly excited for my first cruise coming up in February aboard RCI Liberty OTS.

I'm just wondering, aside from tips and drinks, any other expenses I should budget for? As far as I'm told, the process is rather simple. Check-In, get seapass card, spend and enjoy the time away from a winter wonderland, get off boat and pay.

Also, I've been reading that you pay for Johnny Rockets. Do I also pay for Ben and Jerry's, Chops, and Portofino?

Rather than make another thread, anything else you guys didn't know about cruising your first time that might help me? I'm relatively clueless about all the processes but me and 5 buddies decided to take the plunge and get our sea legs this year rather than bake away on a resort.

We're all 21-22 if that helps at all. We'll be doing the Eastern Carribean trip.

There are a number of resourses here and other sites to help you be the master of cruise wisdom. Check these out and on the way watch out for "other" good stuff. Enjoy :)

First Time Cruisers

Find your "Roll CAll" for the date you are sailing and meet other CCers who will be on your cruise.

Liberty of the Seas Roll Calls

On the RCI web site there are lots of pull down menus to check out. Here is a good place to start:

Frequently Asked Questions

What ever you do enjoy every minute. We cruise with RCI every chance we get and love every minute. :)

Haven't been on the Liberty but have been on her sister ship, Freedom. Yes, you do pay for Ben & Jerry's (I didn't buy anything there, so I can't comment on the prices), and there is a cover charge for both Chops and Portofino (can't recall if it's $20 or $25) but that includes the gratuity. Of course, you can leave an additional gratuity if you feel the service warrants it. The other eating places on the Promenade are free (Sorrento's pizza, the Promenade cafe), but the drink establishments (pub, wine bar, etc.) all charge for drinks.

For young people like yourselves, you should have a blast. Check out the Flowrider (surfing simulator), climbing wall, disco, etc. There are two huge whirlpools which are cantilevered over the ocean...really neat.

You've got the process pretty well down...especially the "pay" part, except you do that before you get off! You picked a great ship for your first cruise...have a great time!

You will have to pay for tours if you choose any. You will need some form of tip money for these also.

If you go to Labadee you will need a couple of dollars for the guys who get your beach chairs.

For your seapass you can use a credit card, cash or travelers' checks--once on board.

You will have a charge for Johnny Rockets since you are a first time cruiser.

Have a ball, cruising is great.

kifler, I took my first cruise at 21 and didn't know a thing. CruiseCritic (or the Internet for that matter) did not exist.

I had a BLAST! You will, too.

Budget for souviniers, photos, spa, drinks, tips, excursions. There is no ballpark amount, but I've gotten away with $300 for one person. Some can go into the thousands.

Bring 1/2 the clothes and twice the $$$$. Bring lots of $1 bills for miscellaneous tipping (porters, room service, taxis, excursions).

You can pay your bill in cash at the end or leave it on your cc.

Hey all!

We were on Liberty in December. You will love it. Check out the general "saving money on your cruise" threads for extra tips. You will pick up some good tips!!! If you drink lots of soda, buy a sticker for the week instead of getting it by the can, for example.

We were on Liberty in December. You will love it. Check out the general "saving money on your cruise" threads for extra tips. You will pick up some good tips!!! If you drink lots of soda, buy a sticker for the week instead of getting it by the can, for example.

Is Soda not included for free?

Sorry, not exactly sure what the sticker is...

If you guys drink a lot of soda then get the soda sticker. Basically it cost you $6 or $7 a day and you get unlimited fountain soda for the whole cruise. You have to pay for the whole week and on the first day. All though given your age, I'm sure you would much rather have a beer package, but none exist. :mad: Sorry

When is your trip?

Ooo also, is that cover charge for Chops and Portofino per person or per table?

When we have formal nights, I'm assuming its a formal dinner? So is the food any different from the other nights?

Soda is not free. If you buy the coke sticker it is $7 per day - per person + 15% tip. The tea, Lemonade and water are free in the windjammer. Coffee is free in the promenade and juice is free at breakfast.

The $25 & $30 for Portofinos and Chops is per person. I always tip another $5 to $10 per person even though the tip is included.

You will love the ship. Have a great time

Ooo also, is that cover charge for Chops and Portofino per person or per table?

When we have formal nights, I'm assuming its a formal dinner? So is the food any different from the other nights?

The fee is per person.

I think the formal night menus are a step up from the regular dinner menus. IMHO I also feel that seeing most dressed up adds to it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Enjoy your cruise!!

I wish there was a Beer package too! I guess it'll be the biggest change for us given our usual youngin' habits.

We leave the Great White North Feb 13th, sail the 14th for 7 days.

I can't get it to link right now, but there is an "All Things Liberty of the Seas" thread, and someone put a link to the menus and compasses (which is basically a list of the day's activities that you will get in your cabin every day) on that thread. It will take you a while to read through the whole thing, but it's fun to read through it to get you excited for your trip and to give you a sense of what to expect. You will have 2 formal nights, which are usually the days you are at sea.

If you just want a soda now and again, and don't want to pay $6per day for "unlimited fountain soda", then just buy a can ($2 or so) or bring some onboard with you.

Between alcohol and gambling (if you do that!) plan to bring at least 1/2 of what you paid to cruise as spending money! If you don't spend it all, you can take it home and put it back in the bank!

You can pay at the end with cash, a credit card, debit card....however you want! If you decide to use cash, they'll ask for a deposit--around $500, I think, for a week.

Lots of folks post them on Webshots. Do a search of "Liberty of the Seas Compass" and you should get some results. Is the itinerary the Eastern or Western route? The ports will be different but the activities available on the cruise will be fairly the same.

Can't wait till my turn on her in June 2009

That first cruise is always one of the most special. ENJOY!! Be sure to write a review after you get back!

Jacquelyn :D

Archived