Who is Bill W?

chiccruiser

I didn't know that the "Dorothy" in "Friends of Dorothy" was Dorothy Parker. I knew that it was a group for gay people, but I always assumed that "Dorothy" was a reference to Judy Garland's character in "The Wizard of Oz", since Judy supposedly has a large gay following.

They don't have friends.

You would have to get to a "Friends of Chair Hogs meeting REALLY early to get a good seat "

LOL...so many of you here made me laugh on this thread. Today has not been a good day in my world and it's so wonderful to come here and be able to benefit from your wonderful senses of humor. THANK YOU :D

I knew that it was a group for gay people, but I always assumed that "Dorothy" was a reference to Judy Garland's character in "The Wizard of Oz", since Judy supposedly has a large gay following.

It is. You were right the first time.

Very well said! We should all try not to take ourselves so seriously!

Dame Margot Fonteyn had it right when she said that "The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative and the second is disastrous."

for Keys Cruisers.. always amazed at what a small world this is. Go Rangers!

Not to be too sticky, but Bill W. co-founded AA with Dr. Bob.

Indeed they did! As a "friend of Bill W." I was not at all offended by comments made in this discussion. I am comfortable enough in my sobriety and in AA that John's comments didn't bother me, but I can also see where some might view the joking around about these two groups as offensive.

Indeed they did! As a "friend of Bill W." I was not at all offended by comments made in this discussion. I am comfortable enough in my sobriety and in AA that John's comments didn't bother me, but I can also see where some might view the joking around about these two groups as offensive.

Good point, Vancouverpacific, although, as a "Friend of Dorthy" I think it's great that it's all just talked about - just makes it a 'no-big-deal' sorta thing.

But I have to admit, that FOOD group is the one I'm MOST interested in!! (Hehe, and just what does that stand for? Friends Of Oosterdam Dining? Friends Of Osome Dining? Hehe Friends Of Over Dining?)

I always assumed that if you accidentally walked into a Friends of Dorothy meeting, you might blurt out, "I don't think we are in Kansas anymore".

I mean no disrespect by this, as we are all different, and I celebrate our differences as well as our commonality.

Archived