When they say the Glory weighs 110,000 tons...

MamaParrotHead

I think that is the weight of the water the hull displaces and not the actual "weight" of the ship if you were to put it on a scale.

Do a search on something like "nautical terms" and I think they refer to it as "GRT" which is like Gross Rated Tonnes" or something.

Darn it, now I have to go look it up or I will be wondering on this all night!:D

Lod_Schema.png

Gross Tonnage is calculated by measuring a ship's volume (from keel to funnel, to the outside of the hull framing) and applying a mathematical formula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_tonnage

Tonnage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tonnage is a measure of the size or cargo capacity of a ship. The term derives from the taxation paid on tuns of wine, and was later used in reference to the weight of a ship's cargo; however, in modern maritime usage, "tonnage" specifically refers to a calculation of the volume or cargo volume of a ship.

110, 000 tons refers to the Gross Tonnage. It is a measurement of volume, not weight. Gross Tonnage measures all the spaces on the ship including those used for fuel, stores, machinery, ballast, etc.

Another measurement is "Net tonnage", which is the volumetric measurement of the cargo spaces on the ship, in the case of cruise ships, it would be all the passenger spaces. The $$ generators for cruise lines.

The actual weight of the ship is called displacement, and yes, that is equivalent to the weight of the water the ship displaces.

Hope this helps...

I think it is an empty ship, just the furnishings, not the passenger and crew's actual weights which would vary from sailing to sailing, no?

Those don't have anything to do with it - tonnage is a measure of volume, not weight. It's the space it takes up and has nothing to do with the weight inside it. Think about it like a one cup measuring cup you would have in your kitchen - it measures the same amount of space whether it's empty filled with water, or filled with rocks even though they all have different weights.

I think it is an empty ship, just the furnishings, not the passenger and crew's actual weights which would vary from sailing to sailing, no?

That's the way I understood it - the "as-built". I think basically, they look at how deep the draft is in the water when it is all done, and then they know the dimensions of the ships hull that is below the waterline.

It is my understanding that 1 grt is equal to 100 cubic feet of enclosed space. For what its worth, unless my calculations are way off, 100 cubic feet of water weighs about 5,600 pounds, which is a lot more than a ton.

I don't believe that there is any direct relationship between GRT and deadweight tons, or the actual weight of the ship. I read somewhere that the Queen Mary 2 is much larger than her predecessor, the Queen Mary, in terms of GRT, but that QM2 actually weighs LESS than the QM. It all depends on the construction of the ship and the materials used.

Because GRT measures the volume of enclosed spaces on a ship, it can change. When HAL added cabins to the Vista class ships, the GRT of the ship increased slightly, because those new cabins represent additional enclosed space.

But then, I could be wrong ...

Paul Noble

Also the ton used is not 2000 lbs it is actually 2240lbs.

Deadweight ton (abbreviation 'DWT' or 'dwt') is a measure of a ship's carrying capacity, including bunker oil, fresh water, ballast water, crew and provisions. It is expressed in metric tons (1,000 kg) or long tons (2,240 pounds, about 1,016 kg)[1]. This measurement is also used in the U.S. tonnage of naval ships.

Dave

It is my understanding that 1 grt is equal to 100 cubic feet of enclosed space. For what its worth, unless my calculations are way off, 100 cubic feet of water weighs about 5,600 pounds, which is a lot more than a ton.

I don't believe that there is any direct relationship between GRT and deadweight tons, or the actual weight of the ship. I read somewhere that the Queen Mary 2 is much larger than her predecessor, the Queen Mary, in terms of GRT, but that QM2 actually weighs LESS than the QM. It all depends on the construction of the ship and the materials used.

Because GRT measures the volume of enclosed spaces on a ship, it can change. When HAL added cabins to the Vista class ships, the GRT of the ship increased slightly, because those new cabins represent additional enclosed space.

But then, I could be wrong ...

Paul Noble

Paul,

You nailed it. Enclosed space is the key, not space below the water line or displacement of water.

Battle ships tonnages are stated based on water displacement, but 110,000 GT is the amount of 100 cubic foot spaces there are on board.

Take Liberty for example; she has two new suites built on deck space. The new space that is enclosed adds to her GT weight. If each suite encloses an additional 400 square feet, then Liberty now weighs 110,008 GT. The actual weight of the steel framing, walls, ceiling and furnings that went in to the two new suites is not a factor in determining her new weight in GT.

The actual weight or mass of an empty ship is called the "displacement" tonnage. For this, the ton is the metric ton. The "light displacement" is

the empty weight. The "load displacement" is the weight when fully loaded. The "deadweight" tonnage is the actual carrying capacity of the ship.

On the other hand, if you are measuring the internal volume of a ship, 100 cubic feet is considered to be a "ton." The "net" tonnage includes only the volume of the cargo spaces. The "gross" tonnage includes the total volume of the entire ship.

Interesting stuff. If the figure actually does represent the water displacement, then the actual weight of the ship would be less than that.

In order for the ship to float, it has to displace as much or more water weight than it's actual weight. I think it's called the archimedes principle or something like that.

Leave it to a 5 year-old to ask a great question. :)

Archived