Guide Dogs on Voyager

notree

We were on the Navigator over Thanksgiving and met a wonderful couple who each used a guide dog. My DD has mild autism and when she saw these two dogs in the check in line she went nuts with excitement :) We used this opportunity to teach her more about service animals and we went up to the couple and introduced ourselves. The couple were very gracious and introduced our DD to the dogs and they gave her permission to pet them. DH and I stressed it to DD that one must always ask the owner if it is permissable to pet them. We ran into the couple several times during the cruise and enjoyed seeing everyone having a great time - dogs included!

If you see a working guide/service dog, you should totally ignore it. At the same time stay out of its way. It is working and cannot be distracted. The dogs are well trained and are very well behaved. When moving about they will watch out for their master ignoring other people. At rest they will lay quietly at their master's feet also ignoring other dogs or distractions. They do not cause problems for others.

I have seen them on airplanes, ships, restaurants and work. They serve a very useful purpose in helping their masters in their everyday pursuits. They are expensive and difficult to procure due to the extensive training and shortage. Only a select number of dogs are able to be trained.

Speaking as a pet dog owner, you should not go up to a dog and stick out your hand or otherwise try to touch it. Do not attempt to feed it. Always ask the owner first for permission. It is simple courtesy.

:quote:At rest they will lay quietly at their master's feet also ignoring other dogs or distractions. They do not cause problems for others.

:quote:

This is the only problem I saw,,, that being that they are so quiet that they were stepped on when they were laying at a shop or bar area where they could not "hide" under the table etc.

I just picked up baby golden retriever guide dog pup Morocco this morning from Guide Dogs for the Blind. What a doll he is and I'm already so in love with him! I already know he is going to break my heart when I have to give him back!

I have so much I need to train him right now, how to go potty on command, sit, stay, stand, wait and ignore distractions like other dogs, cats, balls, etc. I know that all the work I put in with him will make him a better guide and companion for the blind person I hope he can help one day!

Someone asked how the dog lets the blind person know he has to go to the bathroom. Guide dogs are on a very strict schedule and the blind person will give the dog regular relieving periods. One of the important things we teach the pups is to "hold it" and if a dog cannot do that they do not become a guide dogs.

I just picked up baby golden retriever guide dog pup Morocco this morning from Guide Dogs for the Blind. What a doll he is and I'm already so in love with him! I already know he is going to break my heart when I have to give him back!

I have so much I need to train him right now, how to go potty on command, sit, stay, stand, wait and ignore distractions like other dogs, cats, balls, etc. I know that all the work I put in with him will make him a better guide and companion for the blind person I hope he can help one day!

Someone asked how the dog lets the blind person know he has to go to the bathroom. Guide dogs are on a very strict schedule and the blind person will give the dog regular relieving periods. One of the important things we teach the pups is to "hold it" and if a dog cannot do that they do not become a guide dogs.

I think Golden pups are the cutest pippies there are...even more than Labs. Can you put a pix of you new pup on here...??

Archived