Guide Dogs on Voyager

notree

There were three guide dogs on Voyager the week of 1/11. They were beautiful dogs. I really wonder how they made out. There was one announcement and a post of how to conduct yourself when the dog is working. Never pet the dog or speak to them with out permission was the main point of the announcement. I hope people learned to watch out for the dogs and not step/stumble on them. I tried to always announce myself by way of a greeting when meeting the dog and handler. Any input into how we may be more courteous or helpful to make the dog and handler's vacation more enjoyable on their next cruise would be appreciated. Notree

We have a guide dog puppy trainer in our "San Antonio Cruisers" group, had a puppy visit at one of our dinners.Very interesting job but I would hate to give one up after training.

P.S.

They go potty on the poop deck!

We have a guide dog puppy trainer in our "San Antonio Cruisers" group, had a puppy visit at one of our dinners.Very interesting job but I would hate to give one up after training.

P.S.

They have a special poop deck all to their self! ( for those who may wonder) I read where one was overjoyed to be on her own grass again....

One way to make their vacation (hopefully) more enjoyable is to chat with them. They were a delightful group.

2 of my friends are in that situation, they have one guide dog so far and I think are awaiting another dog. Wonderful folks...I learned a lot from them about how to deal with the dog...when harness is on working...off, the dog is on vacation/time off and I was allowed to play with the dog.

There were three guide dogs on Voyager the week of 1/11. They were beautiful dogs. I really wonder how they made out. There was one announcement and a post of how to conduct yourself when the dog is working. Never pet the dog or speak to them with out permission was the main point of the announcement. I hope people learned to watch out for the dogs and not step/stumble on them. I tried to always announce myself by way of a greeting when meeting the dog and handler. Any input into how we may be more courteous or helpful to make the dog and handler's vacation more enjoyable on their next cruise would be appreciated. Notree

I have a close friend who is a "puppy walker' and trians dogs. She has given up 5, and goes thru withrdrawal each time. It is hard, but her last dog is so brilliant he can open doors. He is going to a disabled vet. For her the outcome is what it all about.

As others have said, when the vest is on do not engage the dog.

P.S.

lmao... and i can imagine it would be very difficult to give up the pup after forming a bond with it, however, its not like you are just putting it up for adoption, I'm sure it helps the trainer to keep in mind that that puppy has a very important job to do after they go their separate ways. (just don't ask me to do that! I think I love animals more than I do people :eek:)

They have a special poop deck all to their self! ( for those who may wonder) I read where one was overjoyed to be on her own grass again....

Please explain further. I thought that right away when OP said about dogs on board. Where to they go potty...???

I could never give then up. I admire people that can do this. I was on a cruise in 06 & this man had a guide dog, he was legally blind. Dog was friendly & I asked if I could pet him, we had quite a few chats. The dog was was in the MDR also. This dog was better behaved then some people on the cruise.

We raised 3 of these wonderful dogs, and while giving them up at the end is hard, when you hear what a difference they can make for a disabled or blind person, it's all completely worth it. We were able to adopt our first puppy when he was released due to health issues, so we have a wonderfully trained, gorgeous 6 year old yellow lab now. Our 2nd and 3rd puppies were both black labs, and one became a guide dog in Indiana and the next became a service dog in Maine. My daughter who helped raise these puppies is in college now, and when she gets out she would like to work for one of the service dog organizations.

Anytime you encounter a service dog, hands off is always your best bet. Don't interfere with the job or training that the dog is doing. Most people do welcome the chance to talk about their dog though.

You know this reminds me......not sure why. But once we were in one of the Disney Parks and we saw a sign that said "Seeing Eye Dog's Poop lot" with an arrow pointing in the direction of the lot. Now we wondered.......the blind person with the dog couldn't read the sign.......the dog wouldn't be able to read the sign.........made us giggle! :D

The "poop" place for these dogs was on the promenade deck 4 toward the aft. There were 3 separate large, low boxes filled with something like cedar shavings. I happened to see one of the dogs just leaving the "box". They really look like giant cat boxes. We have been on several cruises with service dogs and one with a drug dog, a gorgeous, huge German Shepard. He checked every person returning from every port. Never heard if he "caught" anyone! I am intrigued by these "working" dogs.

We were on a cruise with two guide dogs once (and I do believe it was Voyager when she sailed out of NJ) - beautifully behaved dogs. Encountered them in the elevators several times and they were at the table next to ours in the MDR and sat quietly under the table the entire time - would that some of the children on board were as well behaved.

You know this reminds me......not sure why. But once we were in one of the Disney Parks and we saw a sign that said "Seeing Eye Dog's Poop lot" with an arrow pointing in the direction of the lot. Now we wondered.......the blind person with the dog couldn't read the sign.......the dog wouldn't be able to read the sign.........made us giggle! :D

Your story reminds me of pulling up to a McDonalds drive-thru a couple years ago and seeing in the lower right hand corner of the menu board it said "menu's also available in braille". That made me giggle myself :D

My love of the Labrador breed came from raising 4 pups for Guiding Eyes for the Blind in Yorktown Heights NY. We also puppy sat many more during that time as well. We did it to teach our children how to help other less fortunate people and teach them how to be responsible with animals. It was a win-win situation. Seeing a graduation with your pup matched with a human is a very humbling experience. It is also very bittersweet.....

Finally had to quit - had to take a mental health day every time I gave a dog back after 17 months. They become so much a part of you and the family. Just buckets of tears and emotion involved with the surrender....

I always wondered how service dogs pooped on deck. That's nice to know they have a quiet area all to their own. If I ever was to encounter a service dog on a ship, I would instantly go to guest relations to inform them of my involvement with raising and training in the past and offer any help the person may need. If the dog needed to be walked off the ship, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I sure wish there was a way to smuggle my three Labs on board with me on the Serenade next cruise.......I miss the buggers on the bed at night ;)

I think my avatar explains it all :)

If you notice my sign in name it's gdpups which stands for guide dog pups. On Saturday we'll be picking up our 14th guide dog pup to raise from Guide Dogs for the Blind. I have several friends that are guide dog users and did you know there is an annual cruise that's organized for guide dog users and their guides. They've been on several of these cruises and it must be a blast with all the guide dogs!

One of the most common things we're asked is how we give up the pups. It's very hard of course, but I find it very similar to raising a child and sending them off to college. We tend to have mixed feelings when they leave, we're sad and miss them, but we're also very excited that they're beginning the life they were bred for. Remember, as a guide they get to go EVERYWHERE with their partner! We get weekly updates (grade reports) when they're in training and we attend graduation and present the dog to their new partner, always with happy tears!

As others have said, if you see a service dog working please do not distract them in any way as their job is to keep their partner safe.

We raised a Guide Dog puppy as well. Unfortuately for the organization she had a mild case of hip displasia (they have a zero tolerance) so we did get to keep her in the end. She was recalled for 3 months before we found out that we would get her back and we have been lucky enough to have adopted her.

She is 9 now and a wonderful member of our family. It IS difficult to give them up - but it is for a wonderful cause. I work in a school and she came to school with me every day and the staff just loved her!

We were on this cruise and the dogs were beautiful and so well behaved. When we were waiting in the theater to disembark, two of them were there. We were told that one of them got seasick on Friday, when we had very rough seas. It had to be given dramamine ! How sad ! But apparently it worked.

If you notice my sign in name it's gdpups which stands for guide dog pups. On Saturday we'll be picking up our 14th guide dog pup to raise from Guide Dogs for the Blind. I have several friends that are guide dog users and did you know there is an annual cruise that's organized for guide dog users and their guides. They've been on several of these cruises and it must be a blast with all the guide dogs!

One of the most common things we're asked is how we give up the pups. It's very hard of course, but I find it very similar to raising a child and sending them off to college. We tend to have mixed feelings when they leave, we're sad and miss them, but we're also very excited that they're beginning the life they were bred for. Remember, as a guide they get to go EVERYWHERE with their partner! We get weekly updates (grade reports) when they're in training and we attend graduation and present the dog to their new partner, always with happy tears!

As others have said, if you see a service dog working please do not distract them in any way as their job is to keep their partner safe.

Are you from NY? Bless you for your work with these beautiful animals that change a persons life in many ways.

The most asked question we had in all our years of pup raising was how do you give them up? No matter what venue we exposed them to, people always wanted to know how do you do that. Never an easy thing to discuss but we did. The closer it came to the separation, the harder it became to discuss the matter. Worse than a child going to college as you will see that child again. The pup will have a new challenge without the raisers by their side. Once that occurs, the pup has a new history. Trainers and handlers now take over. It is the strong pup that makes the grade and is paired with a human who needs him or her. We had one returned to us - bad hips. Not a bad thing, Luther had many kind years in our home. His ashes rest on our mantle. His love and legacy live in on our home. The gentle giant is at peace.....

I would like to remind all of you that come in contact with a working dog, no matter how hard it is, please do not distract them. If the coat is on, they are working.

My love of the Labrador breed came from raising 4 pups for Guiding Eyes for the Blind in Yorktown Heights NY. We also puppy sat many more during that time as well. We did it to teach our children how to help other less fortunate people and teach them how to be responsible with animals. It was a win-win situation. Seeing a graduation with your pup matched with a human is a very humbling experience. It is also very bittersweet.....

Finally had to quit - had to take a mental health day every time I gave a dog back after 17 months. They become so much a part of you and the family. Just buckets of tears and emotion involved with the surrender....

I always wondered how service dogs pooped on deck. That's nice to know they have a quiet area all to their own. If I ever was to encounter a service dog on a ship, I would instantly go to guest relations to inform them of my involvement with raising and training in the past and offer any help the person may need. If the dog needed to be walked off the ship, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I sure wish there was a way to smuggle my three Labs on board with me on the Serenade next cruise.......I miss the buggers on the bed at night ;)

I think my avatar explains it all :)

I have two Black and one Yellow ( she will be two in July ) and I am with you, Id love to take them with me once. It would be cool to take them to a beach on an island in the Caribbean. The only one that sleeps with us is the Yellow, ( my lil girl ...80 lbs ) the other two sleep in their LL Bean Doggie Beds.

gdpups - How do the dogs let the owner know they have to go potty. I assume just wimper a bit or bark a certain way. I hope they can get to the poop deck in time if they are in the Windjammer, especially if they just ate the Paella....:eek:

Puppy in training. At San Antonio Cruisers dinner.

He was our special guest!

DSC03887.jpg

Beautiful!!! Again the way the handlers and dog operate they in no way infringe, or interfere with other passengers. It is if they are not there. I saw a question by a person who was allergic to dogs. I do not think on a voyager class ship there would be anymore contact than in normal every day life. The rare exception being the dining where due diligence would come into play and planning. Notree

I was on Freedom of the Seas in 2007 with a group of blind people with guide dogs. A few of them apparently wanted to use the FloRider, so one afternoon a special time was put aside for them. There were four employees one on each side and two at the top. One helped the passengers onto the boards one at a time from the bottom side of the water. When they were balanced, the guy would let go of the board. One of the women stayed on the board for about 5 minutes. Everyone clapped when she came out of the water. The dogs just sat at the edge of the water. They, both the dogs and their owners, were amazing.

Archived