What did you do when in Haines?

poolwife

This is what I'm doing in Haines. I signed up through the ship:

Alaskan Wildlife Experience

PriceAdult $119; Child $65

DurationApproximately 4 hours

DescriptionEver wanted to pet a porcupine or feed a moose? Up-close wildlife encounters, intimate photo opportunities and stunning scenery are a part of the Alaskan Wildlife Experience. The tour begins with drive through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve where your guide will acquaint you with the Native and natural history of the Chilkat Valley. Arriving at Kroschel Films Wildlife Center, you will be greeted by owner Steve Kroschel, an esteemed filmmaker who has spent a lifetime working with wild animals. He will guide you through this 60-acre park--home to more than 100 indigenous Alaskan animals. Many were orphaned, but now thrive in this protected habitat, retaining their independence while learning to trust humans. You’ll enjoy amazing photo opportunities with Alaskan animals, including moose, wolves, Arctic fox, Kodiak bear, wolverines, lynx, reindeer and more.

NotesThis tour includes approximately ¼ mile of walking including one moderate slope. Wear sturdy walking shoes.

Yukon: What do you mean by the "dramatic" Haines highway? Is it as beautiful as the drive from Anchorage to Seward? That is aweome!

The ATV adventure would be out for us cause I will, hopefully, be taking my 86 year old father.

Yukon: What do you mean by the "dramatic" Haines highway? Is it as beautiful as the drive from Anchorage to Seward? That is aweome!

It's at least equal to the Seward Highway - or the Klondike Highway out of Skagway or the Richardson Highway out of Valdez.

Twenty years ago my sister and I took an Alaskan cruise and stopped in Haines for the afternoon. After spending 2 hours walking around the town we went back to the ship, there was nothing to do. Hopefully, that has changed and there is a lot to do. I would check the Alaskan tourist bureau if you can't find anything interesting on the ship's excursions.

I'm making my first visit to Haines this summer, so I can't offer any first-hand information.

However, this Haines art gallery was mentioned in another, similar thread some days ago:

http://www.alaskaindianarts.com/visiting.html

There is also Fort William H. Seward, a National Historic Landmark:

http://www.nps.gov/akso/CR/AKRCultural/CulturalMain/2ndLevel/NHL/NHLFtSeward.htm

This is what I'm doing in Haines. I signed up through the ship:

Alaskan Wildlife Experience

PriceAdult $119; Child $65

DurationApproximately 4 hours

DescriptionEver wanted to pet a porcupine or feed a moose? Up-close wildlife encounters, intimate photo opportunities and stunning scenery are a part of the Alaskan Wildlife Experience. The tour begins with drive through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve where your guide will acquaint you with the Native and natural history of the Chilkat Valley. Arriving at Kroschel Films Wildlife Center, you will be greeted by owner Steve Kroschel, an esteemed filmmaker who has spent a lifetime working with wild animals. He will guide you through this 60-acre park--home to more than 100 indigenous Alaskan animals. Many were orphaned, but now thrive in this protected habitat, retaining their independence while learning to trust humans. You’ll enjoy amazing photo opportunities with Alaskan animals, including moose, wolves, Arctic fox, Kodiak bear, wolverines, lynx, reindeer and more.

NotesThis tour includes approximately ¼ mile of walking including one moderate slope. Wear sturdy walking shoes.

I wanted to do this last year from Skagway using a private tour company since my ship doesn't offer it. Now I can't find it anywhere to book. My daughter would love to visit this place but we land in Skagway.

i've always enjoyed haines. mrs b-d used to go through there every year on our way up to hike in kluane national park. okay, so we'd hike/camp for five days and then spend a couple of days at takhini hot springs.

the drive up the river is very nice. you also might get to see fish wheels (a classic method of harvesting migrating salmon) that you'll see nowhere else. there are sufficient turnouts so that you can pull out and sigh and say "oh my gosh, this is freakin' beautiful". lots of eagles but you have to stay until november to see the incredible eagle congregation.

they have a hammer museum!!!!!!!!!

there is a raptor center run by the american bald eagle foundation that is interesting....and you won't find something similiar down south.

north by road to haines junction is probably the logical day trip turnaround site. a very nice park/tourist center. and you can buy hard apple cider, it's in the same building as the library.

the fort in haines has historical value. also, there are artists that have shops around the parade grounds plus a native center/salmon feed.

the buildings that were in the movie white fang have been moved to the fairgrounds to create an artisian villiage. including a beer brewery, including a brewer that used to work for me and routinely got me called into my boss's office.

for local color and a good time, go to the bamboo room for lunch or a tipple.

if you're into alaska, haines is tres cool. if you're into shopping and tourist crap, hold out for jnu or ktn.................

Has anyone taken this tour? I love taking photos and this looks like a great opportunity for some wonderful pictures.

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

Duration: Approximately 5½ Hours

Price : $$$

activity2.gifim_shorex_meal-bl.giflimited.gif

This outstanding wilderness safari is a photographer’s paradise as you journey through deep fjords, lush rain forests, towering mountains, and colorful wildflowers, bringing you face-to-face with the majestic Davidson Glacier. Enjoy the fresh air and exercise; it is an experience you will never forget! Your tour begins at the dock in Haines with a 30-minute catamaran cruise through Alaska’s deepest fjord. Watch for whales and sea lions en route to a remote beach landing at Glacier Point. A short, scenic drive by bus followed by a fascinating ¼-mile walk will take you to a place where the forest suddenly opens up to reveal a breathtaking view of the glacier. Board a 31-foot canoe for a voyage of discovery to the face of the mighty blue glacier.

Notes:

Participants need to be in good health and able to hike over uneven terrain. Dress warmly, bring a warm hat and gloves; wear comfortable walking shoes. Minimum age is 7 years. A box lunch will be provided.

I haven't been on it yet but if you do a Search you'll find lots of reviews, all very positive. It can only be booked through the ships. I've flown a few times (at low altitude) over the Davidson Glacier where they go, and it's a superb spot.

Yukon: What do you mean by the "dramatic" Haines highway? Is it as beautiful as the drive from Anchorage to Seward? That is awesome!

The ATV adventure would be out for us cause I will, hopefully, be taking my 86 year old father.

With all due respect to Yukon on this you are in Haines and your father is 86, god bless him don't think I will make it, why not do the Bald Eagle Preserve Float trip there. It's relaxing, you see lots of Eagles and could see other wildlife also and it is slow and safe. We have done it twice out of Skagway last time with GD, it's fun scenery is terrific.

• Administrators

We rented a car and drove the Haines Highway, and then visited the Alaskan Wildlife Experience and stopped at the Bald Eagle Foundation. For photos and a description of these excursions and activities, there are links in my signature to our excursion review, and our photo album.

We visited Haines for the first time last summer and found enough to fill our day. We will be visiting again this summer (twice) and will rent a car and drive the scenic highway once and ferry to Skagway the other.

Last summer we took the historic walking tour. It took about 2 hours to follow the guide and see historic Fort Seward. Many of the dwellings are private residences now, but keep the period look of when the Fort was active. There is a museum downtown that is OK. I'm glad we visited, but I wouldn't go a second time. We went to the Natural History Museum which is owned by the American Bald Eagle Foundation. It was interesting. While there we visited with one of the members and the foundation who told us of an active eagles nest in town which we were able to locate and got a few good shots of one of the parents standing on the nest. That in itself made the day worthwhile to me. I have the shots posted on webshots.

One of the great things about Haines is that you won't find a Diamonds International there!

I have two ideas. One is golf. Haines has a public golf course and you can rent clubs. You can read about it on line. The second is you can take the ferry over to Skagway and spend the day there or take an excurison from there. And the ferry ride over offers the chance to see a few whales. We are taking a shore excursion that includes the ferry and a helicopter glacier landing. That way we can concentrate on whale watching Juneau.

We had a over the top wonderful day in Haines this last summer! We didn't have anything planned tour wise when we arrived but when we got off the ship we saw a couple non-ship related tours available across the street after walking away off the pier. We chose to do a Native Tour; here's the website:

http://www.keetgooshi.com/

I just can't say enough kudos for this tour. To visit a native village up the Chilkat Valley to Klukwan; guided by a Elder of the village was an experience we'll never forget. We were taken into their Klan house where the hand carved 200 year old panals were simply amazing. We then visited a smokehouse to see how salmon are smoked. He tried his hardest to get a bear out into the open; but that bear just didn't show up for our camaras! NEXT TIME!! The scenery on the ride to and from Klukwan was breathtaking too!

By the way; we also had time to explore Haines before and after the tour. We absolutey loved Haines and would love to make a return visit!

Twenty years ago my sister and I took an Alaskan cruise and stopped in Haines for the afternoon. After spending 2 hours walking around the town we went back to the ship, there was nothing to do. Hopefully, that has changed and there is a lot to do. I would check the Alaskan tourist bureau if you can't find anything interesting on the ship's excursions.

There's still 'nothing to do.' That's why it's a different stop from the typical cruise port.

I second SE Pyle's recommendation of the Native village tour. You're just not going to get that chance in any other port, let alone many places in the Lower 48.

There's still 'nothing to do.' That's why it's a different stop from the typical cruise port.

I second SE Pyle's recommendation of the Native village tour. You're just not going to get that chance in any other port, let alone many places in the Lower 48.

So true tee_harbor: What draws some to a destination; draws others away. I so agree with you: Doing an activity that can be done somewhere else is what we try to avoid. We love experiencing what is unique to a destination. Of course Native culture fascinates us and I understand others just don't have the same interests as we do. That's why I feel there's no absolutes in travel. It's a matter of deciding what YOU want to do. Actually in Haines, my husband absolutey loved the place where there was a totum pole in the process of being carved. I wish I could remember the name but it's on the left side of the grounds of Ft. Seward as you're looking at it. A large white building. I enjoyed going in; but staying as long as my husband wanted to wasn't my choice. I will say this though: I was happy to stay as long as he wanted to stay. The look in his eyes was priceless as he took picture after pictue of that totum pole! Did I mention he loves to carve things?;)

Have a great day everyone!

We rented a car and drove the Haines Highway, and then visited the Alaskan Wildlife Experience and stopped at the Bald Eagle Foundation. For photos and a description of these excursions and activities, there are links in my signature to our excursion review, and our photo album.

Love your pictures of Haines and the Wildlife Experience. It looks like you got pretty close to the animals. Besides the one(s) you were allowed to pet, how close were you (like for the fox), I'm wondering if I need a closeup lens. I've been so concerned with telephoto because of wildlife that's faraway, that I never thought what to do if I get close.

.... I'm wondering if I need a closeup lens. I've been so concerned with telephoto because of wildlife that's faraway, that I never thought what to do if I get close.

Depending on the camera and lens, closeup lenses are for things that are closer than about 1 foot - for most of us that means flowers, not foxes :)

Archived