What did you do when in Haines?

poolwife

So my 18-135 lens that came with the camera will be fine for close ups?

It depends on the specific lens, and what you mean by "close", but certainly for wildlife or people it will do the job nicely. If you want a photo of the stamen of a particular flower, you will probably need another lens. To see how far modern lenses will stretch, these photos of a moth were shot with my 75-300 telephoto, - http://www.explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=270

My husband and I really enjoyed Haines. We did the ferry to Skagway for the White Pass Railroad. We got there very early in the morning and were able to walk around Skagway without the throngs of people. We even spent some time in the combination gas station/store/laundry mat talking to locals.

After the train trip-we really enjoyed it, we took the ferry back to Haines and explored on foot. It is such a neat little place. We did both the fort and the downtown area.

In the late afternoon, we went on a boat trip on Chilkoot Lake. Enjoyed that too.

It was a full day that we really liked.

• Administrators
Love your pictures of Haines and the Wildlife Experience. It looks like you got pretty close to the animals. Besides the one(s) you were allowed to pet, how close were you (like for the fox), I'm wondering if I need a closeup lens. I've been so concerned with telephoto because of wildlife that's faraway, that I never thought what to do if I get close.

Feet away, in all cases, at Steve Kroschel's place. It was an amazing day. We didn't use any kind of macro lens, though -- in fact, just our regular point and shoot digitals took those photos.

We loved Haines. From the second we left the ship and didn't see a zillion jewelry stores we knew we'd love it -- and we did. :) If everything else was equal about 2 Alaska itineraries, except one stopped at Skagway and one stopped at Haines, I'd pick Haines every time.

We had a over the top wonderful day in Haines this last summer! We didn't have anything planned tour wise when we arrived but when we got off the ship we saw a couple non-ship related tours available across the street after walking away off the pier. We chose to do a Native Tour; here's the website:

http://www.keetgooshi.com/

I just can't say enough kudos for this tour.

We took their bear watching tour last September. We like giving our business to the local, native companies like this one. The bear viewing was excellent and the tour was very reasonably priced. I don't know if bear viewing there is always that good at that time of year or if we just got lucky that day. Maybe a local person will see this and be able to tell us.

We had a over the top wonderful day in Haines this last summer! We didn't have anything planned tour wise when we arrived but when we got off the ship we saw a couple non-ship related tours available across the street after walking away off the pier. We chose to do a Native Tour; here's the website:

http://www.keetgooshi.com/

I'm very interested in this tour. Do you remember about how much it cost?

What did you do when you were in Haines? Looking for everyone's ideas. Thinking about renting a car and driving around. What all is their to look at?

I've now posted some photos of and information about the dramatic Haines Highway that should make it easy to decide if this is what you'd like to do. For most people, I suggest Million Dollar Falls at Mile 99) as the turn-around point.

Murray

Archived