Latest on Princess Cays

Murphey

Sorry if this is old news, but we are on board the Star and had lunch with the Captain and staff Saturday. The lastest news is that Pincess Cays was one of the hardest hit and the beach was completely washed away. They have to bring in sand and rebuild everything. I asked if it would be up and running by January and that was met by raised eyebrows...so...bottom line is, they just don't know yet, tons of work to be done...

We'll be on the Star in 5 days (WOOHOO!), so I have a question or two:

Did they substitute a port for PC? Which one?

Did you arrive and depart at all the other ports on time? (The reason I'm asking is that the GC port authority has us there at a different time than the itinerary on Cruise Personalizer and we've set up an excursion through Soto's)

They STILL show PC as a port on our personalizer . . . not sure why they haven't changed it with only 5 days before we leave.

Murphey... thanks for the update. That jibes with what I'd heard, i.e., that the beach was totally wiped out and that they needed to replace it by shipping it in, not an easy task.

It sounds like it's probably off our New Year's itinerary. Wonder what they'll substitute?

As for Grand Cayman, it's open for only a few ships at a time. And, I've read that just because it's on your itinerary doesn't mean that it will definitely stop. If you've booked an independent tour, make sure you haven't prepaid or will get a refund if the ship doesn't stop. This is a port that hurricanes aside is frequently missed due to weather. If it's too choppy or choppy weather is forecast, they won't let passengers ashore. It's too dangerous in the tenders.

Murphey... thanks for the update. That jibes with what I'd heard, i.e., that the beach was totally wiped out and that they needed to replace it by shipping it in, not an easy task.

It sounds like it's probably off our New Year's itinerary. Wonder what they'll substitute?

As for Grand Cayman, it's open for only a few ships at a time. And, I've read that just because it's on your itinerary doesn't mean that it will definitely stop. If you've booked an independent tour, make sure you haven't prepaid or will get a refund if the ship doesn't stop. This is a port that hurricanes aside is frequently missed due to weather. If it's too choppy or choppy weather is forecast, they won't let passengers ashore. It's too dangerous in the tenders.

Pam, I think this was only for 2 weeks that they were having limited schedules. At the end of this week, they should be back to normal. THere were four ships in port sometime in the last week.

When I look at my personalizer for my Nov. 22nd Sun cruise, it's saying Nassau, yet if I look at the itinerary when I click 'Plan your voyage' and enter the date and ship, that still says Princess Cays. Seems odd that they're not in sync..

Thanks for the news on PC...We are getting married on board the Star and are interested in how they may change the itinerary and if that would also affect the 2nd day at sea which is the day of the wedding.....Plus, How did you manage to have dinner with the captain?? lol

Last week, they substituted PC for Costa Maya and right before we sailed they reinstituted Grand Caymen (it had previously been cancelled) Yes, Grand Caymen is a mess, but they were really glad to see us (which is refreshing, because many ports, even though they need the cruise business, still are conflicted because of the crowds the make, and I don';t blame them, even though I am part of the crowd!!). This week, we are going to Nassau instead of PC.

Thanks for the news on PC...We are getting married on board the Star and are interested in how they may change the itinerary and if that would also affect the 2nd day at sea which is the day of the wedding.....Plus, How did you manage to have dinner with the captain?? lol

Some Cruise Critic friends got married today in St. Thomas!!! Good luck to you!!! We had lunch with the Captain (not dinner) and if you've spent enough $$ cruising with Princess that you could have paid for the Captain's children's education(just kidding folks!!), then you are invited to a very nice luncheon with Captain and officers. LOL

Be happy to answer other inquiries when I can....will write a full review when we return...btw, heavy seas the 14th and 15th, felt sorry for sirst time cruisers!!!

One more thing...itinerary changes rarely effect sea days... Happy cruising all!!

does anyone know the times that the Star Princess is in Nassau?

I am going Dec 12 and thinking that we could go to the atlantis for the day?

Suzanne

We are scheduled to come in around noon and leave around 6. There is plenty of time to go to Altantis. Make sure you take a regular taxi, not a water taxi, as the water taxi's can take up to 45 minutes (they wait for a full boat).

Thanks Murphey...very good answer on the dining with the Captain, lol. I doubt we'll be dining with any officers but Princess certainly has made their fair share off our group as we have 54 people joining us and most and them have booked balconies or higher..plus the cost of the wedding..ouch! Sure is going to be fun though :)

So,

How far in advance of the cruise will we know of the change in itinerary? I'm on the Star for the New Year's cruise and was wondering when Princess will have decided where they'll go in lieu of Princess Cays.

Thanks, Hi.

Hilander,

We just found out yesterday (Tuesday) that our Star cruise leaving Sunday was changed from PC to Costa Maya. I figured the change would be coming, but they certainly left us in the dark until the very last minute.

No worries, though! I'm just thrilled to be on the boat!

Hilander,

We just found out yesterday (Tuesday) that our Star cruise leaving Sunday was changed from PC to Costa Maya. I figured the change would be coming, but they certainly left us in the dark until the very last minute.

No worries, though! I'm just thrilled to be on the boat!

Regardless of what the itineraries online say...you can bet PC is gone for at least a couple more months...today I was told (still onboard) that perhaps mid-jan??but it is ONLY a guess. In reality could very well be Feb. BTW...We thought Costa Maya was a very cool port!!!!

Archived