Odyssey question

Martita B.

I also think it's a nice touch ~~it's a marvelous "tool" for guests to meet other shipmates and the Officer's, the entertainment staff and the guest lecturer's. I occasionally enjoy the large hosted tables but prefer a smaller dinner group.

I hope the hosted dinner tables will continue aboard the Odyssey ship.

MB

Johnny

The larger tables at the front of the main dining room will probably be the Captain's and the Staff Captain's tables. On the Pride during Christmas Capt. Elliott's table was in the far right corner (front) and Staff Capt. Kai's table on the opposite side, in the corner. Funny how Captain's choose their tables ~~Capt. Toenis T. and Capt. G-A. like the back corner, Port side.

Hope all is well with you ~~:p

Martita B.

Matt

Thanks! Thru' the years we have enjoyed some fantastic dinner's ~~ both in the dining room and the Sky Bar! Our themed Galley Market luncheons have also been alot of fun.

I really miss the "hosts" (Officer's, CD's and entertainment staff) coming to the Club and joining their dinner guests for a social hour before going down to the restaurant. I don't know why this fellowship stopped ~~~I always thought the Club was so grand during our cocktails with the beautifully dressed guests and the handsome uniformed Officer's "mixing and mingling" ~~perhaps this "club camaraderie" will return on the Odyssey. I hope so.

Martita B.

Matt

Thanks! Thru' the years we have enjoyed some fantastic dinner's ~~ both in the dining room and the Sky Bar! Our themed Galley Market luncheons have also been alot of fun.

I really miss the "hosts" (Officer's, CD's and entertainment staff) coming to the Club and joining their dinner guests for a social hour before going down to the restaurant. I don't know why this fellowship stopped ~~~I always thought the Club was so grand during our cocktails with the beautifully dressed guests and the handsome uniformed Officer's "mixing and mingling" ~~perhaps this "club camaraderie" will return on the Odyssey. I hope so.

Martita B.

Hi Martha--I'm guessing the Odyssey will shape up a lot like our Novemder cruise on Silver Shadow--you could see a lot of Seabourn creeping in on Silver sea's preformance--they had a Galley lunch--well done, but no desert table like SB. In 9 days we were at 3 hosted tables--they were smaller tables with host and 2 or 3 couples--they had some staff at the predinner cocktail parties, but on several nights they had a "mini show" in the showroom during the normal cocktail hour--for those who didn't want to stay up late for the normal show--it was well attended. There was pretty good attempt at name recognition--not as good as SB, but with most of the people you had regular contact with. We were pleased to find the Shadow far better than the Shadow we sailed on 3 or 4 years ago! The Silver Suite (over 700 sq ft) was outstanding! Don

One event I liked on the RSSC Voyager was the 'Block Party'. Not new, but at one time, the cabins emptied out and there was champagne and nibbles so one could meet the other neighbor cruisers. It was a lot of fun and the Captian, CD and HM made the rounds to say Hello to everyone. It was held before one of the Captain's events, so they didn't stay long. with the natural break in the sisters, it could be done, but on the Odyssey it might be fun as well. The Voyager had 700 passengers.

I have, on occasion, crept out at 11 the night before disembarkation to find out where my 'suite mates' were from. I never saw them the whole week.

Jane

When my brother, my mother and I first cruised Seabourn Joe

and I hosted a "Champagne/Caviar" morning social in Joe's suite.

We invited our neighbors and a few guests who happen to be strolling around the "Lobby" ~~(this was pre JB's morning social)

It's an easy and fun way to get you know your neighbors ~~akin to your Block Party on Regent.

We may plan a semi small social aboard the Odyssey.

Hope you're warm up North ~~freezin' and sleet here today!:confused:

Martita B.

Jane, I also love the block party on Regent, and had sent the suggestion to Blue Lagoon Dr, recommending that SB do a similar thing. A few days ago I recvd an email back that they are going to discuss it with the Hotel Operations Dept, so hopefully we will see it onboard the triplets soon.

Seabourn has done a more informal cocktail party in the purser's lobby on several cruises I have been on. I forget what they called it exactly, but to me I think they were trying for a similar concept as the "block party", just scaled down. I just can't picture how they must work, I find the Seabourn halls quite narrow, add waiters with trays and mingling guests, I don't know....

That's interesting, Leslie. I think it's a great idea, not time consuming, easy to implement; seems like a win-win situation. I think it would be particularly nice on the voyages with more sea days. On Regent, it was done on one of the formal nights, and I wasn't as keen on the timing. On a sea day, it could be an 'elevenses' event, for example. Mimosas for everyone! Although in the morning it would probably be too intrusive with the morning cleaning and equipment. OK, evening is better. But they could do an 'elevenses' event in the pursers' lobby some morning, similar to the cocktail event before some early entertainment. Then we could all go to an enrichment lecture.

BTW: Don, are you over the moon about the Super Bowl? Where are your allegiances? My guess would be Pittsburgh, but I am rooting for the underdog.

Hi CruisinMatt & Jane,

Regents hallways are just as narrow, and most guests gathered at the room openings and along the walls. It worked very well, and it was just one waiter per floor. We would bring our own glass out of the room, so he could simply pour the champagne instead of trying to balance a tray of full glasses. After filling the champagne, he would bring a small tray of appetizers, then one more round of champagne and we were done. Not too time intensive, and several groups of people lingered in the hallway after, opening their own champagne in the suites and sharing if they wanted more.

On my one cruise on Regent, they did it on the first night at 6 PM, which seemed to work well. The Captain made an announcement at 5:30 to give everyone 30 minutes notice, then again announced it at 6. Since we are all mostly unpacking at that point and not yet worried about dressing for dinner, it was a nice break to come out into the hall for 15 minutes. I found that, and during the rest of the cruise, many people would leave their doors open when they were in their suites and welcomed the neighbors to pop in to say hi. Very social and fun.

I wouldn't be too keen on it happening on a formal night either, as there are always other events prior - Captains welcome, Seabourn Club night, Virtuoso cocktail party, etc.

The first night would be a good choice. I was commenting on the fact that if there was a morning event, the corridors would have the linens, hoovers, etc.

While it is easy to meet people, whether or not it's 200 or 700, I still think it is a fun event for mixing.

Jane, of the 4 out of 5 trips we have had with Regent, only one time was there the block party. I have to agree with you it was a nice way to meet your neighbors and a quick introduction to the Captain and whoever may be with him. In our recent sailing with Regent, the party was not held - no explanation given. I think with the Odyssey at 400 passengers a similar meet and greet activity would be nice. Meeting our neighbors would be a great way of establishing communication for later times (i.e. please don't slam your drawers or door, let's meet for drinks, etc) by putting a face with those close to you. Just a thought and certainly doable and conducive to a relaxed congenial greeting toward one another.

Archived