Men's wear question for Elegant Night

LanaJae

Well, my husband finally admitted that his clothes don't fit anymore so we went shopping and now he has a very nice jacket, dress shirt, tie and coordinating dress slacks.

The problem is that his new clothes are gray/navy and the only decent pair of dress shoes he owns are brown.

Does anyone think the black patent dress shoes that Carnival rents from Bon Voyage would look crazy out of place?

Well, my husband finally admitted that his clothes don't fit anymore so we went shopping and now he has a very nice jacket, dress shirt, tie and coordinating dress slacks.

The problem is that his new clothes are gray/navy and the only decent pair of dress shoes he owns are brown.

Does anyone think the black patent dress shoes that Carnival rents from Bon Voyage would look crazy out of place?

The black "tuxedo" shoes will look kind of odd.

Brown is a perfect color/accessory with Navy anyway.

If you are going with gray/navy, then it should look good as well.

Just make sure that he has brown belt (or any other accessories), then it looks like he did it as a fashion choice - and not because he forgot to pack his "other" shoes.

But all in all, the brown shoes are a better choice.

:cool:

The black "tuxedo" shoes will look kind of odd.

Brown is a perfect color/accessory with Navy anyway.

If you are going with gray/navy, then it should look good as well.

Just make sure that he has brown belt (or any other accessories), then it looks like he did it as a fashion choice - and not because he forgot to pack his "other" shoes.

But all in all, the brown shoes are a better choice.

:cool:

Thanks CJW - he says he is not wearing rented shiny shoes so we're going to figure something out. I really think he needs black shoes, these brown ones seem way to casual to me.

My first thought is that with the investment of new clothes, new shoes just makes sense. It sounds like he will be wearing these new clothes for a while, so he will also be needing the shoes beyond this cruise.

Take the pants along for the shoe shopping trip :)

Thanks CJW - he says he is not wearing rented shiny shoes so we're going to figure something out. I really think he needs black shoes, these brown ones seem way to casual to me.

That new shoe shopping option works even better!:D

If you are on a "budget" there are tons of good deals on zappos and other such places.

I have even found decent but budget dress shoes at places like Target and believe it or not Walmart (I got a pair of black dress shoes there in an emergency for under $20 that I still wear every so often - they're cool, but comfortable)...

For men, it's just always a good idea to have sets of black shoes/accessories, and a set of brown shoes/accessories.

Then you're covered for everything!

PS I wouldn't wear rented shiny shoes either...:cool:

PS I wouldn't wear rented shiny shoes either...:cool:

LOL!!!

I know someone who did and it was not with dress pants, tie and jacket. A friend of ours thought the rented tuxedo shoes were the most comfortable shoes he had ever worn...go figure...so he wore them to tour around Bermuda. He had on Bermuda shorts and the proper length knee socks along with the shiny shoes.:eek: His wife made him walk 5 paces behind her so no one would know they were together.:D

Around here (DFW) the sporting goods stores have great sales on men's casual shoes. I have a pair of "deck shoes" that are black/brown combination. I'm wearing them with khaki pants, lt blue dress shirt, and navy blue sport coat. I wear business suits and shoes everday to work, so vacation time is reserved for country club casual at the upper extream.;)

My DH HATES dress up, but I found him some great shoes at Kohl's last year for under $10 so he couldn't complain too much about wearing them for a short while...

Although personally I like nice cowboy boots as well with dressy men's clothes - am I the only one?!

This is our first cruise on Carnival. Because of airline restrictions on luggage, my husband does not want to take a suit. What do most men wear on elegant night: tuxedos, suits, or something like dress pants, shirt and tie?

He doesn't want to be out of place, just won't pack a suit!

Thanks for the replies!

This is our first cruise on Carnival. Because of airline restrictions on luggage, my husband does not want to take a suit. What do most men wear on elegant night: tuxedos, suits, or something like dress pants, shirt and tie?

He doesn't want to be out of place, just won't pack a suit!

Thanks for the replies!

First of all regarding packing...

You can easily pack a suit or jacket in a suitcase or carry on like this:

2114324320079337728RYvvZs_th.jpg

Click on the thumbnail picture to get a full sized printable version.

As far as your question, it completely depends on the ship, the time of year, and the homeport.

There is no way to give a 100% psychic answer, regarding what the mix will be on your particular cruise.

A suit is the safest bet - as far as not looking out of place.

A tuxedo will be a bigger percentage when it is a holiday cruise (Easter time, Christmas, New Year, etc.)

There will also be men who are in a shirt and tie (no jacket). It is technically in the dress guidelines, so it's acceptable.

There is no way to tell though how many will be on your particular cruise.

Could be a lot, could be a few.

So, I hope that my long winded explanation of my personal experiences on lots and lots of Carnival cruises is actually helpful to your question!

:D

My DH has a tux. Will he be the only one wearing a tux? I will be wearing a long gown for formal night. :confused:

No, he won't be THE ONLY one wearing a tuxedo.

But depending on the particular Carnival cruise, it could be as many as 50% or as little as 10%.

Sometimes if there are large wedding parties, or several weddings on board, then there are lots of guys in tuxes on the Elegant nights.

But like I said before, there is no way to know psychically how many people will be dressed in what on your particular cruise.

Personally, I never worry about what anyone else is wearing on my cruises, I make an effort dress up - whatever the means to me at the time (tux or suit).

I definitely find that Carnival does tend to have quite a few people really dress up on their cruises. More so than some of the other cruiselines (still not sure why)...

And, Carnival really has fantastic photographers for formal nights.

Dress up, take advantage.

There will be others dressed in tuxes, others in suits, and still others in shirts and ties.

Enjoy it!

Archived