Question from a Princess Newbie

float'n fanatics

Before I get yelled at, I did a search on this, and never really got a clear answer.

We are considering booking a repositioning cruise out of Barbados for 2010.

What I want to know is... do you have to pay for coffee?

Now, I know they have a specialty shop, but I'm talking about regular everyday "brewed coffee in the morning".

We've only cruised on Carnival, and they have big vats of coffee on the beverage table, and you can have as many cups as you want.... free.

I've read on this board about a "coffee card".

So... can we get free brewed coffee (whether it be good or bad) on a Princess Ship?

Thank You!

You can get all the free coffee you want but it is not brewed. There have been many discussions on here about the quality of the coffee on Princess but that is up to the individual and their liking, we find it okay. The coffee card you referred to is for specialty coffee drinks and it will also get you free 'brewed' coffee in the places that have it available. Enjoy!!:)

The coffee card you referred to is for specialty coffee drinks and it will also get you free 'brewed' coffee in the places that have it available. Enjoy!!:)

Ok, now I understand. ;)

Next question.... approximately how much do they charge for a coffee card?

Thanks to all for clearing this up for me!

Coffee from syrup??? hmmmm :eek:

The coffee card is $24 + 15% gratuity. It is good for 15 specialty coffee drinks and as long as there is still at least one punch of the 15 left, it is good for free brewed coffee. They can be used on future cruises too if they still have punches left on them.

for newbies: coffee "syrup" is provided by many food provsioners (major supliers such as Sysco etc.) and is like coke syrup is a way......the vats are containers for the end product which is a result of combining the syrup with 180 degree plus water.......it is "real" in the sense that the original brewed cofee has been condensed and packed in a bib, much like coke syrup. But it is not fresh, I don't mind it, and my other half prefers it to regular coffee in that it is hotter........have a cup of coffee at burger king , for example and you have had syrup coffee. Ski resorts like Vail for example use it at their restuarants on the mountain which serve many peiople all day.....it's all about keeping the supply going without having to brew batches. If it is not to your taste, then the coffee card works.

for newbies: coffee "syrup" is provided by many food provsioners (major supliers such as Sysco etc.) and is like coke syrup is a way......the vats are containers for the end product which is a result of combining the syrup with 180 degree plus water.......it is "real" in the sense that the original brewed cofee has been condensed and packed in a bib, much like coke syrup. But it is not fresh, I don't mind it, and my other half prefers it to regular coffee in that it is hotter........have a cup of coffee at burger king , for example and you have had syrup coffee. Ski resorts like Vail for example use it at their restuarants on the mountain which serve many peiople all day.....it's all about keeping the supply going without having to brew batches. If it is not to your taste, then the coffee card works.

I agree. I found it to be fine, but do enjoy an iced mocha, so bought the coffee card.

I love coffee. While I did not find the coffee "horrible", I do remember liking the coffee in the dining room a little better. I'm not sure if that is syrup based as well (I imagine it is). Maybe the nicer environment made it taste a little better?

:D

Ok' date=' now I understand. ;)

Next question.... approximately how much do they charge for a coffee card?

Thanks to all for clearing this up for me!

Coffee from syrup??? hmmmm :eek:[/quote']

My guess is that the "unlimited" coffee that you had on Carnival is also made from coffee syrup. Like previously said, to keep it hot, and available for hundreds of people all day long... it would have to be VERY quick to make.

"Real" brewed coffee takes a LOT of time to brew, that is why it's only available in certain areas and for a cost.

I love coffee, and I'm sure I've had "syrup coffee" many times and didn't even know that that's what it was.

We'll be on the Caribbean Princess in about 2 weeks - YIPPEE - and I'm sure we'll invest in the coffee card, mainly for the unlimited "real brewed" coffee that you can get from the International Cafe.

I love coffee. While I did not find the coffee "horrible", I do remember liking the coffee in the dining room a little better. I'm not sure if that is syrup based as well (I imagine it is). Maybe the nicer environment made it taste a little better?

:D

I found the same thing!! The dining room environment must have helped :D I also noticed that as the week progressed that the 'syrup' coffee did get somewhat better too - except Saturday when it tasted like hot water again (same as the first day!).

If you like coffee, I would highly recommend the coffee card. It was well worth the $$ to get a decent cup in the morning. And besides, the walk down to the International cafe every morning was a great way to start your day!!!

Miriam

Archived