braemar - 2 April 2009

sealegs57

we too have booked to go on this cruse and have just recieved details of the shore excursions from FO. As this is the first time that we have cruised, can any one advise if it is better to book the shore excursions through FO or to do do this independently on the quayside. Thanks.

Hi Acc1956

WE've booked a couple of excursions with FO - swimming with Dolphins in Isla Margarita and the catamaran and turtle cruise in Barbados. We have decided to leave the others to the quayside as have had reports from other travellers that these are often better and usually alot cheaper. I think we will still have the opportunity to book with FO once we are on board but like you would welcome any advice anyone who has had experience of FO excursions can give. Not long now!

hi sealegs57, thanks for your info. Any other information from anyone else about the shore excursions would be gratefully apprciated. We too are about to book the dolphin encounter ( not the swim as yourself ) in Isla Margarita.... see you there... It is my wife's big birthday, the one between 40 and 60 whilst on board... sounds like an excuse for a party to me,:) ( the very think she was trying to escape from here )...never mind!!

We are leaving from Newcastle so will meet up in the U.S. we are celebrating our Silver Wedding on board so it seems there will be plenty of parties.Does anyone have any info on the Caribbean, British & Western theme nights?Where are they held, how do you dress & what time in the evening are they held? Not long now, looking forward to meeting everyone.Best wishes & Happy Holidays to all.

Hi Acc1956 and Sunderland Sam - one long party sounds good to us!:)

Don't know anything more about the theme nights than FO supplied with the tickets but not sure there will be much room in my suitcase for fancy dress (may have to sneak somethings into hubbys case when he's not looking!)Have a good flight and see you soon:)

Hi Acc1956

WE've booked a couple of excursions with FO - swimming with Dolphins in Isla Margarita and the catamaran and turtle cruise in Barbados. We have decided to leave the others to the quayside as have had reports from other travellers that these are often better and usually alot cheaper. I think we will still have the opportunity to book with FO once we are on board but like you would welcome any advice anyone who has had experience of FO excursions can give. Not long now!

I very seldom if every take any excursions via ships offerings.

I find it much more economical and more fun to get a group of like minded people and roll your own..ships excursions are more structured. on your own you can get a van and call the shots as to where and what you want to see and for how long. just do some research on the ports of call beforehand, and determine what you want to see! also you have the option of changing at the last minute due to weather or other events.

looking forward to a long party!!!

Hi there - yes we are on that cruise, this will be our 10th time with Fred Olsen, most of which has been on the Braemar. Enjoyed every cruise with them. We are flying from Manchester and staying in a hotel overnight, usually fly from Gatwick but no availablility from there at short notice, only booked last week!

Unfortunately you have to collect your luggage at Miami Airport, it is usually taken off the carousel and piled up in a corner, not even all your bits of luggage together either! You then take it through to the arrivals where a representative will be waiting with a Fred Olsen Cruises sign. They will take the luggage back off you again and you next see it in your cabin. Getting through Borderland security is a bit of an experience as well, but this is the last time they are using Miami and will be back to Barbados which is much easier! Once through the airport then you can sit back relax and enjoy!!

There will be casual, smart casual, formal and theme nights. Casual and Smart Casual are not much different except that men will be expected to wear either a tie or a jacket for Smart Casual. We usually dress as we would if we were going out to a restaurant at home if that helps - no jeans or tee-shirts. Long trousers and shirt for men and ladies skirt/trousers and top or dress.

Archived