how do i tour cinque terre or portifino if I am in LIvorno

Hello..

Your ship should offer a tour to the Cinque Terre..We toured the area in Sept 07..Originally we had a private tour guide but when our port of call was changed from Livorno to La Specia we took a cab from the port to Riggamagorio..bought park pass and train ticket..We had a wonderful day and returned to La Specia by train..

On that cruise I was travelling alone but found tour companions on my cruise's roll call..I hope you get to visit this area..It is raw, rugged and very very beautiful..

Carol

My port of call will be Livorno. Though I really loved Florence, I rather go do something new. Are there tours to Cinque Terre or Portifino? As I am traveling alone, I think renting a car would not be feasible. Thanks.

When to you arrive (dock) in Livorno and when do you depart? Knowing that would make it a lot easier to answer your question.

We did Cinque Terre on our own from Livorno, but had no time constraints getting back as we were overnight.

Go to this page on my website, www.ftroute.com/cinque.cfm . At the bottom of the page there is a link to my "Cinque Terre - Self Tour from the port of Livorno" document.

Thanks. I took a look at it.. might be a little more than I can handle on my own. Didnt realize it would be so complicated. I'll just try posting on my roll call and see if I can hook up with some other folks who are interested in seeing it. hopefully the ship will have an excursion available.

We were very lucky that our ship had to divert to La Spezia because of high winds--so it was easy. But if you search for Cruisemom42 on these boards, she can give you the exact info you need--she is the expert!

Having said all that, if I were traveling along I would consider a (dreaded IMO:eek:) ship's tour for this one!! I very seldom recommend that!!

Cathy

We spent four days in Cinque Terre this fall. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT rent a car as you do not need it. In fact, a rental car would be more of a burden than a help. I would take the train to one of the towns, and then walk along the paths to one or more towns-or take the train in between. The trains run often and they are inexpensive.

Thanks. I took a look at it.. might be a little more than I can handle on my own. Didnt realize it would be so complicated. I'll just try posting on my roll call and see if I can hook up with some other folks who are interested in seeing it. hopefully the ship will have an excursion available.

I understand your thoughts. It is a doable trip but one that requires planning and execution. Unfortunately the train schedules don't provide many backup plans.

If your heart is set on seeing the Cinque Terre I would recommend that you use the ship's excursion. The local trains between the towns are not noted for being very punctual.

If you want something other than Florence to do on your own you might consider Pisa and/or Lucca. These cities are very esay by train from Livorno.

If you decide to do CT I also would advise using the ship's excursion. Repeat - do not rely on the trains to be punctual! A shorter trip would be to go to Lucca which is a very nice walled city - not so far from Livorno.

If your heart is set on seeing the Cinque Terre I would recommend that you use the ship's excursion. The local trains between the towns are not noted for being very punctual.

If you want something other than Florence to do on your own you might consider Pisa and/or Lucca. These cities are very esay by train from Livorno.

Have been to both pisa and lucca, as well as sienna. but havnet been to san giacomo (not sure about the spelling) which i heard was beautiful. if not cinque terre, I am sure there will be something else.. and I guess it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world to see lovely florence again, as it has been quite a while.

Have been to both pisa and lucca, as well as sienna. but havnet been to san giacomo (not sure about the spelling) which i heard was beautiful. if not cinque terre, I am sure there will be something else.. and I guess it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world to see lovely florence again, as it has been quite a while.

My guess is that you have really seen very little of Firenze. We have been there many. many, many times and find something new each time that we go. Yes, our next trip to Italia will include Firenze (probably several days.)

Go to the villages on the perimeter. Take a tour of the 'Chianti' wine country. It's magical and wonderful.

If you dock at Livorno you can do a tour to the Cinque Terre as we did in one of our last cruises but the best thing is to book it through a private car company which can wait for you at the dock and drive there (1.30 hrs. appx) saving time respect to the train (I guess you have to change the train at La Spezia).

We made it through http://www.shoreexcursionsinitaly.com and thanks to them we could make 3 of the 5 lands.

You can hike from the first where they leave you, to the second town through a pathway, where they will come to pick you up and then keep going to the third city.

The little villages are so pretty and you can have a nice shopping and good local food!

My guess is that you have really seen very little of Firenze. We have been there many. many, many times and find something new each time that we go. Yes, our next trip to Italia will include Firenze (probably several days.)

Go to the villages on the perimeter. Take a tour of the 'Chianti' wine country. It's magical and wonderful.

I was in florence for nearly a week, I saw everything I had wanted to. If I were to visit it again, I would be interested to see if it had changed much. I'm sure there are more obscure areas to wander around. but my preference would be to see something new. In all honestly, and you may differ with me on this, I preferred Rome to Florence.

If you dock at Livorno you can do a tour to the Cinque Terre as we did in one of our last cruises but the best thing is to book it through a private car company which can wait for you at the dock and drive there (1.30 hrs. appx) saving time respect to the train (I guess you have to change the train at La Spezia).

We made it through www.shoreexcursionsinitaly.com and thanks to them we could make 3 of the 5 lands.

You can hike from the first where they leave you, to the second town through a pathway, where they will come to pick you up and then keep going to the third city.

The little villages are so pretty and you can have a nice shopping and good local food!

So you think Cinque Terre is definately worth the trouble???

Absolutely, positively yes! I want to go back and spend several days there. Our time there was just a whirlwind trip.

And yes, we are in disagreement over Roma and Firenze; but that's OK>

Absolutely yes... the landscape from the top of the hill was wonderful, the food great (pesto comes from that area) and we had the "Sciachetra" the local wine (we still have a bottle in our wine cellar at home..)

You will like it.

...You welcome!! "Hook up" is a good idea but I guess you cannot make it through "Cruise Critic"... on the ship for sure you will find someone.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Thank you all for your input. I am going to make every effort to do cinqe terre. hopefully i can hook up with others on the ship and go by private car. Thanks again.

Archived