Single Supplement ?

Goldens4

There is something I do not understand. If a solo/single passenger is willing to pay the price of a double for a cruise, why do the cruise lines charge an extra percentage? This can range anywhere from 15% to another 100%. Is this done to discourage single passengers? We met several solos on our Dec. Shadow cruise and they all had to pay above the double rate. To me it just doesn't make sense. A single/solo cannot (hopefully:)) consume the amount of food/liquor as two. Can someone

enlighten me to the reasoning behind this? Thanks!!!!!!!

There is something I do not understand. If a solo/single passenger is willing to pay the price of a double for a cruise, why do the cruise lines charge an extra percentage? This can range anywhere from 15% to another 100%. Is this done to discourage single passengers? We met several solos on our Dec. Shadow cruise and they all had to pay above the double rate. To me it just doesn't make sense. A single/solo cannot (hopefully:)) consume the amount of food/liquor as two. Can someone

enlighten me to the reasoning behind this? Thanks!!!!!!!

I think you got bad information! The single suppliment in the single fare plus the percentage. Sometimes it's as low as 10%, or 110% of the single passenger rate--we got the 10% rate a couple times when we took our daughter alone on a cruise--in her own cabin! Normally it's higher than 10%, but in these times, I'm sure so 10%'s are available! Don

Normally, "double" means per passenger fare based on double occupancy, that is what cruise lines usually quote as the voyage fare.

Single supplement means the percentage for a single passenger over the above, if this number is 100% or less, it is the premium the single passenger pays. However, if it is above 100%, then just multiply it to the "double" fare for a single passenger.

So if "double fare" is $1,000, two passengers in one cabin pay $2,000. If the single supplement is "50%" or "150%', then the single passenger pays $1,500. In this example, the single passenger can never pay less than $1,000 or more than $2,000. Hope this helps

we got the 10% rate a couple times when we took our daughter alone on a cruise--in her own cabin! Normally it's higher than 10%, but in these times, I'm sure so 10%'s are available! Don

You were very lucky to get 110%. I got 150% for my recent trip on the Whisper. The single supplements for Vistas on many of the 2010 itineraries is 125%.

Now if only the Aussie dollar would strengthen!

Cheers

Ging466

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were cruiseaholics. We had seven cruises on Celebrity, always in a Royal Suite. Our last cruise was on Silver Shadow in December 2006. We had a Silver Suite and loved it as well as the vessel and all of the personnel on the vessel.

Sadly, I lost my dear wife in January after a long illness. I decided that once I had taken care of all things, her estate as well as my cataract surgery [which was completed today], I would check out surcharges for solo passengers. My first check was with Celebrity, and their surcharge in all cases was 200%. In other words, the solo passenger had to pay for two people in a cabin.

I then thought about the wonderful time that my dear Nedra and I had on Silver Shadow, and contacted them directly. Much to my surprise they quoted a surcharge of only 125% for a veranda suite. Hence, I am booked on the 10 night cruise departing FLL on November 22, 2009 going to many of the places which we explored in December of 2006, except for St. Thomas USVI [for Thanksgiving] and St. Kitts in a veranda suite. I really appreciate the fact that SilverSea does cater to solo travelers unlike many other cruise lines.

And it is all inclusive to boot! When you compare it to Celebrity with just a balcony cabin there is no comparison, particularly when you consider that you are not signing chits every time you turn around.

Thank you, Charlie. It does pay to shop around. I am so sorry that you lost your wife. Our first cruise on SS was the Shadow on 12/12/06. We are now hooked on SS. We are thinking about the 11/22 Shadow cruise, but with the economy and employment the way it is, we are going to give it some time.

Charlie, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. I am glad that you have decided to continue cruising. I know you'll have fond memories of her surface as you go. That Thanksgiving

Silversea has decided to address the single supplement for the future, as you have seen. Later this year and then many voyages in 2010 have good deals. Some of the trendy itineraries still have the 200%. I know the Ted Koppel cruise we are on for April still has the 200%, and I had to switch to 4909A w/ hubby vs. staying on the whole 4909 alone. I just did not want him to go back all the way from Hong Kong alone. The Africa stuff we are booked on over Christmas still has 200%, also. I may end up going alone due to his schedule and might have to switch to one of these solo deals.They just dropped the December 4 similar itinerary to 125% in vista. I know a lot of people do. I am glad to see this issue being addressed and hope that continues when the economy picks up.

Thank you, Charlie. It does pay to shop around. I am so sorry that you lost your wife. Our first cruise on SS was the Shadow on 12/12/06. We are now hooked on SS. We are thinking about the 11/22 Shadow cruise, but with the economy and employment the way it is, we are going to give it some time.

Goldens4, we got off the day that you got on. It was a wonderful cruise, and my dear Nedra made so many friends and she so much enjoyed our cruise on Shadow. Did you happen to run into John Otto and his wife? They were on our cruise, and then stayed on. We had dinner with them five nights, and they were a delightful couple. They were from Palm Desert, CA, and he showed me a picture of their corporate jet!!!

Thank you so much for the response.

Earlier this week, I received an e-mail from a large Internet Cruise agent (of course I can't mention the name) that listed 8 Regent cruises with zero Single Supplements. The cruises were to Alaska, the Mediterranean, and the Black Sea. While I saw some single-supplement "specials," on Regent's site, they were not this "special." I can only assume that this is a reflection of the current economic situation.

Earlier this week, I received an e-mail from a large Internet Cruise agent (of course I can't mention the name) that listed 8 Regent cruises with zero Single Supplements. The cruises were to Alaska, the Mediterranean, and the Black Sea. While I saw some single-supplement "specials," on Regent's site, they were not this "special." I can only assume that this is a reflection of the current economic situation.

The OP questioned Single Suppliments on Silversea. not Regent, but thanks for the "heads-up" anyway! (you may want to post your info over on the Regent board).

Host Dan

Host Dan, thank you. If it will help any solo cruisers on SilverSea, my contact was a personal vacation consultant directly at Silversea Cruises. She was just great, and if it is appropriate, her name is Marcia Burdick, and she can be reached at 1-800-682-8517, ext. 3. If you feel that this information is inappropriate, then please delete. But this wonder lady was so very helpful.

• 4 months later...
Going on the shadow on october 3-12 from la. Going solo and got 125% single supp. Plus free air and 500 obc. Great deal...can not wait. Hope to see you there.

I just booked the Spirit for next year, got 125% for the single supplement on a balcony...it's the first ever balcony for me. You rarely see balconies for 125% so couldn't resist the temptation. Pity I can't get the free air also.

Cheers

ging466

I just booked the Spirit for next year, got 125% for the single supplement on a balcony...it's the first ever balcony for me. You rarely see balconies for 125% so couldn't resist the temptation. Pity I can't get the free air also.

Cheers

ging466

Thats a shame. I was not expecting to get free air. The SS agent barbi kinda sprung it on me. I had read on their site that you had to book by May 31 2009 to get free air in 2009 but free air in 2010 was still avail. So far SS is exceeding my expectations......I am in for a real treat.....

So far SS is exceeding my expectations......I am in for a real treat.....

Hi cmhmarine

Will this be your first on SS? Oh you will be in for a treat, my first was December last year on the Silver Whisper....I honestly thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

If you would like to read my review of the trip, see the link in my signature below.

Have a wonderful time.:)

Cheers

ging466

Hi cmhmarine

Will this be your first on SS? Oh you will be in for a treat, my first was December last year on the Silver Whisper....I honestly thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

If you would like to read my review of the trip, see the link in my signature below.

Have a wonderful time.:)

Cheers

ging466

Yes, this will be my first time on SS after several cruises on RCCL and Celebrity (I have had decent experiences on these mass market ships) but once I compared total cost, the choice was clear to move styles, and after reading boards on all the luxury lines, SS seemed right for me. I plan on doing a detailed review on my first time to include pictures since Im traveling solo, I should have the time, plus what a way to remember....Im already looking at early 2010 bookings....

Yes, this will be my first time on SS after several cruises on RCCL and Celebrity (I have had decent experiences on these mass market ships) but once I compared total cost, the choice was clear to move styles, and after reading boards on all the luxury lines, SS seemed right for me. I plan on doing a detailed review on my first time to include pictures since Im traveling solo, I should have the time, plus what a way to remember....Im already looking at early 2010 bookings....

Yes I agree with you. By the time you add all the extras on that you spend on a mass market ship, you could have travelled premium. After my recent cruise in Tahiti, I decided its pointless paying for a nice cabin but getting crap service. I would also like to travel on Seabourn, they have one particular itinerary in Central America that I like but I can't seem to get the single supplement under 175% so it's just too expensive.

Pls write a review (there's a special section for reviews on Cruise Critic) after your cruise - I'll be very interested to read it.

Cheers

ging466

No problem. I feel the need to "give back" a little since I have been able to read some of the thoughtful reviews and comments of previous CC members.

I think that CC has made my decision sort of a "no brainer" in regards to narrowing down my choices. Im in the same boat as yours as afar as the single supplement goes. I was not considering a western Mexico trip until I narrowed it down to Silversea and then found the 125% single supp with free air and 500 OBC. So I get to experience new places........in STYLE.

Archived