No Formal Nights?

John3775

Wait a minute here. Is there any confirmation that there will be no formal nights on the Odyssey? Seems strange Seabourn would do that on one ship only and not have the triplets follow suit.

I am only going on information from a very experienced Seabourn TA

I have also been looking for some info on the Seabourn website and it does not give us much of a clue as to the dress codes that will apply.

I have sent an Email to Seabourn and await their reply.

I am only going on information from a very experienced Seabourn TA

I have also been looking for some info on the Seabourn website and it does not give us much of a clue as to the dress codes that will apply.

I have sent an Email to Seabourn and await their reply.

I'm also very curious about the dress code on the Odyssey! I don't care so much (I will wear want I want; even formal without that dress code!), but René will be happy if it will be just elegant casual! Keep us posted lord! I don't want to miss anything....

Marja

We are also curious. We have a booking for the Spirit and for the Odyssey.

When we look at the "already booked" part of the Seabourn website we see for our Spirit-cruise:"nights with suggested black tie optional attire: 6". For the Odyssey-cruise it indicates: 0.

Until now we thought that the dress code program for the Odyssey is still not finished, but...who knows.....

As I'm interested in knowing the dress code aboard the Odyssey I'm awaiting an answer from Miami.

I would think if the Odyssey dress code is indeed Country Club Elegant then Seabourn will need to revise the three Sister's dress code ~~Seabourn's fleet will need to be uniform in dress.

Martita B.

I don't think they need to all be the same. Perhaps there are some itineraries and or cruisers who would opt for a ship with some formal nights. What is important is that the standards are well advertised ahead of time and adhered to. If two formal nights are planned, then keep to that. Cruisers don't want to bring clothes that are not needed.

Martita,

Talk about lawyerese. That says nothing other than they have made no announcements. Reading between the lines, which can always be dangerous, this tells me there may be something to this.

I agree with you that whatever they choose it should be fleet wise. Seabourn is a brand and brands require consistency whether it be in service or dress code.

I wouldn't make much of this "rumour". The fact that this is news to the Miami office, and the fact no "announcement" to the contrary has been made, let the rumour die. Worry about it when theres something to worry about!

Host Dan

This is a reply from head office

"Due to some past guest concerns The Odyssey is going to be Country Club Casual with One Black Tie optional per week.There will be more on the Maiden Voyage and the first leg of the World Cruise."

That should keep us all happy,if not just sit back and enjoy the best service at sea.

This is a reply from head office

"Due to some past guest concerns The Odyssey is going to be Country Club Casual with One Black Tie optional per week.There will be more on the Maiden Voyage and the first leg of the World Cruise."

That should keep us all happy,if not just sit back and enjoy the best service at sea.

May we ask who specifically responded from the head office? This statement alludes to the fact that Seabourn is "back-peddling", as if an announcement was actually made regarding no formal nights. I don't believe any such "announcement" ever existed, thus a statement such as you reported would make no sense from Seabourn.

Host Dan

Dan it does point to the way that some cruises have been on the triplets,only one black tie dinner per week.Do you think that this will please most of Seabourns loyal sailors?

It seems fine to me.there will also be more dining options on The Odyssey which will be good for those that do not want to wear or carry Formal wear.

If they go down to one formal night per week surely this is a way of doing away with formal nights altogether they will wither on the vine as guest will argue that its not worth the extra weight for only one night per week.

For us the formal nights are an important part of cruising and to suggest that apart from the first leg of the world cruise there will only be one formal night per week in our view takes some of the glamour away from what should a celebration event - a dumbing down of Seabourn style.

If by first leg of the world cruise they mean Ft. Lauderdale to LA, then by the time I board in LA it should be more casual. Ironically, this is the one cruise where how much you pack does not matter as you get free luggage shipping round trip up to 200 pounds per suite. So I guess I'll be taking my tux.

I fully acknowledge the issue grannylorr raised about wanting to conserve precious luggage "real estate", particularly on a long cruise. After my one poor experience shiiping my luggage with Seabourn, Sailor Boy and I will be back to lugging our luggage through the usual channels(assuming of course we are lucky enough for our bags to arrive in the same city we do).But this really does come back to the crux of the issue -- the fewer formal nights there are the harder it is to justify packing very dressy clothes for my and more significantly, my husband's tuxedo. There more there are per cruise the easier it is to justify bringing it.

On a personal note, since we recently booked the 12 day roundtrip Copenhagen Baltic trip for this July(with friends we met on our last Seabourn cruise and other new friends who "rescued" us in Barcelona)I was wondering if anyone remembers how many formal nites there were on that 12 day cruise last summer?Of course, I realize that the way Seabourn changes things " past performance is no guarantee of future performance !!!"

Martita,

Thanks -- can always count on you for the real skinny! Sailor Boy should be happy( but please don't mention shoes -- I finally weaned him from his tux shoes -- black lace ups work just as well ,thus one less pair to pack).

Chairsin

Pleeeeze allow Sailorboy to wear his elegant formal slippers!:p

A few semi-formal evenings could be scheduled on your 12 dayer.

While aboard the Pride during Christmas Karl showed me his brand new shoes ~~he had just received them. Yes, gorgeous formal black patent "black tail" shoes with the flat bow. (akin toSailorboy's) As he'll be Manager of the Odyssey restaurants (and probably do a little Maitre'di-ing) he will certainly look spiffy!

I've envied your weather the past month!

MB

Archived