Windstar at San Juan del Sur

cruisingsfun

In March my husband and I will be sailing on Windstar on the Costa Rica cruise. Does anyone have any advice on what to do in San Juan del Sur? I really don't think I'm that interested in going to Granada, but don't know what there is around San Juan del Sur. Any advice? Thanks in advance for any help, or words of wisdom.

It's a pretty sleepy town, with the only foreigners being backpackers (of which there are a bunch). I definitely recommend skipping Grenada as many of the people on our boat didn't enjoy the excursion. Even though they were an academic and worldly bunch, they just experienced a filthy city while being hoarded on the only big [i'm a tourist with money please beg me] bus around. Children asking for money and objects.. at their feet the entire day they said.. And a very long bus ride at that.

So, in town, there is not much. I believe there is some nice walking up the hills surrounding the town. There is also a GREAT English owned coffee shop/book store/board game cafe in town you should stop at for a break. There are some great passages in their menu I remember.

This stop should just be a strolling around the town day. Grab a beer in a bunch of bars near the beach. Very cheap and refreshing :)

I hope this helps!

i used to work on this great ship and did enjoy the stop at san juan del sur but only because i could go into a QUIET town. Unless you speak fluent spanish, there's nothing really "to do".

there should be a ship's tour that goes out to a lake to see the volcano in the middle of the lake, and the resort where the tour stops is really really nice and the snack they serve is delicious.

definitely consider a tour over the town, absolutely....

but if you MUST, the restaurants that line the beach are DELICIOUS, even though they may look a bit under-taken-car-of.... that's beach life... this is not malibu..... dirt floors, no glass in the windows, no A/C, and quiet, unobtrusive service....... that's PARADISE to many~!!! I do miss it........

okay there's also a VERY VERY small "town square" but really nothing there that's too "amazing"..... Grenada is quite historic and interesting, re-consider that tour if you want to skip the beach scene......

also in town is a big 'american-type' bar with interior courtyard, the name escapes me.... everyone knows it, though, take a walk into ttown and it's the 3rd or 4th street on the right, big blue painted wall on the front of the restaurant... ooh the name is on the tip of my tongue......

oh well.

you'll probably find it......

oohhh - more - sorry i keep adding but i keep remembering...

see if there's a tour to the "beach" out of town, it's nice, and if they've added any buildings in the last 2 years, it should be really nice.... definitely a bit of a 'drive' to get there, but a nicer beach than the "downtown" beach in town by the ship's pier... (yuck)..

We were in port there in January '07 on the New YEar's cruise. My son is a surfer and did some research in advance. He went directly to a local surf shop in town and negotiated with the owner to drive him to a local surfing beach. He had a great day there-said it was a lovely beach with one hotel and restaurant. We all wished we had gone with him. San Juan Del Sur, while it has its charms, is a bit seedy and on the day we were there it was extremely windy. We picked a bar/restaurant on the in-town beach and hung out there for hours drinking the local beer and eating seafood. When it got to be very hot the young people in our group just dove in the water. We had a great time but be aware that there are some lovely beaches and even resorts nearby so if you do your reseach you can take a taxi to one of those places and have an enjoyable day and still be back onboard before the Grenada folks return!

You will love the Costa Rica Cruise!

We're on the Feb. 14th sailing and have booked Granada, Masaya Volcano and Craft Market for Feb. 16th. On another post we read that this sells out quickly. Windstar doesn't offer many shore excursions - so if you want this one - jump on it.

i almost forgot, there is a resort at the far end of the beach (from the dock) (you can see it from the dock) that allowed our guests to use the beach-space and beach chairs there, just identify yourself... at least that was what we did back then. very nice beach and resort...

was a highlight my Wind Star Costa Rica trip in January 2007, and one I would not have wanted to miss. Our guide was excellent, and the stops were interesting. I learned a lot.

For a look at photos, with titles and commentary, go to

http://fredasphotos1.shutterfly.com

and drop down to the 9th album, "Costa Rica/Wind Star". The Nicaragua photos are #25 through #41. Best viewed by clicking "slideshow".

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I went on this cruise last January. In San Juan Del Sur, half of our ship walked up the hill to the Pelican Eyes Hotel. You can relax by one of their three infinity pools, have a $3.00 beer and a delicious lunch by the pool. We just went there and sat down by the pool... no one minds if you are not staying there. It was very, very quiet (except for boat people). Ask Carlos (the naturalist on the boat) and he will give you directions to get there. It's only about a 10 minute walk. Enjoy!

PS - bring some apples for the kids, they will love you for it.

Thanks for that note about the apples. I had forgotten about that! We were on the Costa Rica cruise in Feb 2008 and I remember being told that the children in Nicaragua never get apples unless someone brings them in from somewhere else and they love them!

Archived