Alaska-The one thing we must do...

rashrg123

While I understand Alaska is not a warm, beachy cruise, it's got THE best scenery (well, next to New Zealand) I've ever seen. We've been on three Alaskan cruises.

We took an excursion in Sitka from the Zaandam that was called "Sea Otter Quest". (It was a couple of years ago.) Incredible tour. We saw seals, sea otters and whales and jelly fish and fishermen netting salmon. (Oh, my!)

In Juneau, we grabbed our own whale watching tour from Dolphin Jet Boat Tours from the dock after arrival because it was a business trip, and my husband had had to teach a seminar that morning. We beat Captain Larry to the whales! I highly recommend them.

We did the sea kayaking in Ketchikan. It was interesting, but I wouldn't do it again. Very rainy and really not that much to see.

People we were with raved, absolutely RAVED, about their plane flight to see bears. (I'm not sure what it was called.)

On previous visits, we've done the Mendenhall Glacier river float trip in Juneau. We did Creek Street and the Totems in Ketchikan (Saxman Village, I think), and the Misty Fjords float plane one time. (I got incredibly airsick, but at least when we docked, I did not lie down and let the other passengers walk past me like one lady did. :eek:) In Sitka, we've done a Russian dance show and the Russian-America history stuff.

And there's still so much to do, we've got to go back!

I have photos on webshots of our 2006 trip.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552873190WLMTHU

Good luck! I hope you love it.

Robin

wonderful pics-thanks a million!!!

Alaska is beautiful. Once was enough for me. When I cruise I like to leave the cold for warmth. In Juneau, Captain Larry of Ocra Enterprises was wonderful, lots of whales. We flew with Southeast Aviation to Misty Fjords. That was spectacular, expensive but worth it. They picked us up in the terminal. Sitka, try the Raptor Center. They rehabilitate birds of prey. Your entry fee helps the cause. The Russian Church is nice, worth a visit. Dress warm and take an umbrella.

• Administrators

There are two things in Alaska we'd do again after our Volendam cruise last summer. One isn't an option for you (Kenai Fjords National Park excursion to Northwestern Glacier in Seward) -- but the other should be.

We loved the "Bering Sea Crab Fishing" excursion -- http://www.56degreesnorth.com for more information. We are big fans of "The Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel, so being on the Aleutian Ballad was a great experience for us -- but even those on our tour who'd never seen the show had a spectacular day.

Links to photos of it are in my signature at the bottom. Have a great time -- we really loved Alaska a lot more than my (warm-blooded) SO was expecting to, and we will be going back. :)

Oh, oops -- that tour is out of Ketchikan.

There are two things in Alaska we'd do again after our Volendam cruise last summer. One isn't an option for you (Kenai Fjords National Park excursion to Northwestern Glacier in Seward) -- but the other should be.

We loved the "Bering Sea Crab Fishing" excursion -- http://www.56degreesnorth.com for more information. We are big fans of "The Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery Channel, so being on the Aleutian Ballad was a great experience for us -- but even those on our tour who'd never seen the show had a spectacular day.

Wow! Thanks, Michelle. Which tour did you take out of Seward? My oldest son worked for HAL last summer as a cruisetour bus driver, and my daughter worked for Princess at Denali National Park. They're both going back this summer. My 13-year-old and I are flying up there to see them in June, and I want to do a glacier tour out of Seward.

And I had surgery earlier this year and caught the "Deadliest Catch" bug while I was recuperating. I'd soooooooooo do that tour!

Robin

• Administrators
Wow! Thanks, Michelle. Which tour did you take out of Seward? My oldest son worked for HAL last summer as a cruisetour bus driver, and my daughter worked for Princess at Denali National Park. They're both going back this summer. My 13-year-old and I are flying up there to see them in June, and I want to do a glacier tour out of Seward.

And I had surgery earlier this year and caught the "Deadliest Catch" bug while I was recuperating. I'd soooooooooo do that tour!

Robin

In Seward we did the Kenai Fjords (Alaskan Heritage -- same company) tour to Northwestern Glacier -- a 9 hour tour. That was our turnaround day during our back to back, so we had the whole day and completely loved every minute of it. There are photos of it in the album linked below -- at the Seward album.

We'd do the Deadliest Catch tour again without hesitation. Wonderful day! :) Hope you are all recovered from your surgery, Robin!

John & I both watch the TV show, so I think I'll send him on that boat trip while I go snorkelling. Can you imagine - snorkelling in Alaska? It seems that Ketchikan is a port with a million & one things to do! :)

I'd still like to see the totem poles & hit Creek St for a bit of shopping. We'll be on Ryndam's last southbound voyage at the end of Sept, so I hope that shops are still open & to find a bargain or 2. :D

I'd still like to see the totem poles & hit Creek St for a bit of shopping. We'll be on Ryndam's last southbound voyage at the end of Sept, so I hope that shops are still open & to find a bargain or 2. :D

We were on the second last cruise of the season and there were lots of sales everywhere.

The best trip I've ever taken was the 4 glacier helicopter ride out of Juneu. We landed on the glacier and went dog sledding. Where else will you ever have the opportunity to do that?

My husband, his brother and brother's wife did that when we were on the Veendam many, many years ago. They LOVED it! (I was too, too chicken. I can barely fly on a plane with my husband, no way was I going to chance orphaning my children on a helicopter. :eek:)

Robin

2187226120095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

You can always snorkel in Ketchikan! DH and both DD's had a blast doing this. I went to Dolly's House on Creek Streetand checked out her shower curtain:D.

Cheap trinkets at the Ben Franklin near the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau. The one in Sitka is near the Russian Church.

In Juneau, we helicoptered to the top of the Mendenhall and actually drove the dogsleds.

Have fun, it is a wonderful cruise!

You can always snorkel in Ketchikan! DH and both DD's had a blast doing this. I went to Dolly's House on Creek Streetand checked out her shower curtain:D.

Cheap trinkets at the Ben Franklin near the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau. The one in Sitka is near the Russian Church.

In Juneau, we helicoptered to the top of the Mendenhall and actually drove the dogsleds.

Have fun, it is a wonderful cruise!

Snokeling in Ketchikan??? I can not imagine that!!! Sounds cold :o

I just looked it up on the HAL website and OOPS I APOLOGISE!

I see the cruise does stop in Victoria and starts and ends in Seattle. Just as I would take the extra days to see Seattle if I were visiting Vancouver, I think if your travel plans warrant, you might wish to rent a vehicle and drive up to Vancouver for a few days!

Anyone knows Victoria is the most beautiful city at least in Canada - Vancouver is a very close second & of course I am not biased!! :D

I agree with u 'vancouverpacific' - see Vancouver if u can - well worth the trip!!

As far as the other suggestions, as usual on CC, all excellent. Now u have a tough choice!

I wish u a great Alaskan cruise - I suspect it will awe u...!! :)

Anyone knows Victoria is the most beautiful city at least in Canada - Vancouver is a very close second & of course I am not biased!! :D

I agree with u 'vancouverpacific' - see Vancouver if u can - well worth the trip!!

As far as the other suggestions, as usual on CC, all excellent. Now u have a tough choice!

I wish u a great Alaskan cruise - I suspect it will awe u...!! :)

i am looking forward to Victoria. my wife and i are doing a horse drawn carriage ride. it should be very romantic!

John & I both watch the TV show, so I think I'll send him on that boat trip while I go snorkelling. Can you imagine - snorkelling in Alaska? It seems that Ketchikan is a port with a million & one things to do!

I'd still like to see the totem poles & hit Creek St for a bit of shopping. We'll be on Ryndam's last southbound voyage at the end of Sept, so I hope that shops are still open & to find a bargain or 2.

You will love it. DH our two DD's and their friend went snorkeling. They were only cold at first. The water was about 40F. At the end you pour warm water into your suit. Needless to say they were in full suits, hoods, gloves and booties. The only part exposed was the upper part of their cheeks.

While they went snorkeling, our friends went to the Lumberjack show.

Alaska is incredible! It took three years to talk my husband into going on an Alaskan cruise--he hates cold weather and thought it would be awful, but he agreed to go for me. HE loved it more than any other cruise we had taken!

We are now planning our third cruise to Alaska. You also may be surprised how much you love this Alaskan cruise.

Archived