Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

On each computer, assuming WinXP, right click on the "My Computer" icon and then left click on properties. Click on the "Computer Name" tab, and about half way down it will say "Domain". For all your computers to find each other easily, they all need to have the same name here. There is a "Change" button just below the name so that you can change the name. You will need to select "workgroup" and type in the name you choose. Depending on where you got your computer, common names set up here are "MSHOME" and "WORKGROUP", but about anything works.

Rich

I have tried that. All of my pcs are running Vista with the exception of the new netbook. I have not been able to get it to work in the past for any of my vista pcs. So right now I am only trying to get the netbook and my Vista desktop to "find" each other. They both have the same workgroup name. But no luck. Are there any other settings that I need to adjust?

I have tried that. All of my pcs are running Vista with the exception of the new netbook. I have not been able to get it to work in the past for any of my vista pcs. So right now I am only trying to get the netbook and my Vista desktop to "find" each other. They both have the same workgroup name. But no luck. Are there any other settings that I need to adjust?

Have you changed your firewall to allow file and print sharing, and do you have a device shared?

send me an email if you want to chat directly.

Rich

I've been playing with my new acer all day and the more I play, the more I love it. I've got all my recipes on here now and saved a few favorite sites, including this one. My daughter has the aceus 8.9 and personally, I like this one better. her mouse is way too over responsive and drove me nuts. This one is perfect for me. Now I have to figure out how to use the webcam so i can see her kids when we email.

I'm in my family room right now with my Acer in my lap and I Love this thing.

The touch is good, the screen fine and this is one of the best toys I've gotten in ages. It is so perfect for travel which is really what I want it for.

I highly recommend it for anyone who has an interest in such a computer. :)

I'm in my family room right now with my Acer in my lap and I Love this thing.

The touch is good, the screen fine and this is one of the best toys I've gotten in ages. It is so perfect for travel which is really what I want it for.

I highly recommend it for anyone who has an interest in such a computer. :)

I also use it to "travel" around my house. Loved having it in my lap in my family room too. Certainly a great little toy. I can't wait to take a trip farther than my family room. :D

This thread has been so helpful! I finally got off the fence and bought an Acer Aspire One to travel with (lightly used, from eBay, cheap) and I'm so glad I did. I got one with the Linux operating system, and it's just what I needed (and it's really pretty, too.) Thank you, everyone for all the helpful information!

Lisa

I just want to thank Sail for starting this thread and to everyone who shared their thoughts/recommendations. I wasn't aware there was such a thing as the netbook. After reading the thread, I just knew I NEEDED one. After lugging our laptop on trips, a netbook will be a breeze!. I ordered an Aspire One 10.1 inch and it was delivered last week. I just got the wireless connected and I'm having fun with it. I do want to get a sleeve or small case for it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Again, thanks Sail!

Lynne....... You won't believe I just came looking for this thread to post my solution for carrying my Acer for travel. :) You 'read my mind'.

I went to Best Buy to get a sleeve. They were too big. My whole point about Acer is compact. I saw a nice case that was a good size , two outside pockets gave it a bit more bulk than I wanted but I liked the shoulder strap. I was going to take it and noticed the price was $40. More than I wanted or felt the need to spend. I was leaving but before I did, I saw a sales person and asked for his suggestion. I showed him the one I liked and said it was too pricey. He smiled and said, I've got what you want.

Sent me to portable DVD player area. Bingo! Perfect case. $17.99. I bought Init Portable DVD Player Sleeve. It has a flap with clip closure and adjustable shoulder strap. It holds my Acer, modem and mini mouse. Perfect! I haven't checked but it might be available to read about (see) on BestBuy website. Try for item number NT-DV201 ...that might be their stock number but I'm only guessing.

I'm really happy this thread turned out to apparently be very helpful to lots of us. I never guessed when I started it what interest there would be. I am ALWAYS so grateful and appreciative to the techie geniuses among us who share they knowledge and are so patient with those of us less techno expert. Thank you to everyone who contributed. Hope everyone who gets one of these Netbooks , no matter which model you select, enjoys them.

I just want to thank Sail for starting this thread and to everyone who shared their thoughts/recommendations. I wasn't aware there was such a thing as the netbook. After reading the thread, I just knew I NEEDED one. After lugging our laptop on trips, a netbook will be a breeze!. I ordered an Aspire One 10.1 inch and it was delivered last week. I just got the wireless connected and I'm having fun with it. I do want to get a sleeve or small case for it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Again, thanks Sail!

you can also look for netbook sleeves on ebay. very compact and will fit in your carry on or purse in these sleeves. $13.99 and free shipping and many colors. I got pink reverses to red one.

I am sitting in the recliner, netbook resting on the chair arm, puppy sleeping contently on my lap, and surfing cruise critic. What could be better than that!

Thanks again for convincing me that I couldn't live without this new toy. And my puppy thanks you also. :D With my regular laptop, there was never enough room for her!!!

I just bought a netbook for my 3/14/09 Oostrdam cruise and was wondering if you're charged simply for minutes or do you have to buy minutes and then pay a special fee for using your own computer over the ship's WiFi? Thanks. :confused::)

This is what I bought for $312 plus free shipping at amazon a week ago:

ASUS Eee PC 904HA 8.9-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel ATOM N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, 10 GB Eee Storage, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) Fine Ebony.

Product Dimensions: 10.5 x 7.5 x 1.1 inches ; 5 pounds,

XP-Preloaded with 160G large HDD.,ASUS Super Hybrid Engine and 6 cell high density battery pack allow for longer battery lifespan. Super Hybrid Engine offers a choice of performance and power consumption modes for easy adjustments according to various needs., High Speed Connectivity Anywhere with Wi-Fi 802.11b/g., Exclusive 10GB Eee Storage with easy accessibility anywhere online., Free 1 YR Warranty (6 month for battery, 30 day ZBD Guaranteed)

I just bought a netbook for my 3/14/09 Oostrdam cruise and was wondering if you're charged simply for minutes or do you have to buy minutes and then pay a special fee for using your own computer over the ship's WiFi? Thanks. :confused::)

This is what I bought for $312 plus free shipping at amazon a week ago:

ASUS Eee PC 904HA 8.9-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel ATOM N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, 10 GB Eee Storage, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) Fine Ebony.

Product Dimensions: 10.5 x 7.5 x 1.1 inches ; 5 pounds,

XP-Preloaded with 160G large HDD.,ASUS Super Hybrid Engine and 6 cell high density battery pack allow for longer battery lifespan. Super Hybrid Engine offers a choice of performance and power consumption modes for easy adjustments according to various needs., High Speed Connectivity Anywhere with Wi-Fi 802.11b/g., Exclusive 10GB Eee Storage with easy accessibility anywhere online., Free 1 YR Warranty (6 month for battery, 30 day ZBD Guaranteed)

It doesn't matter if you use your computer or theirs, the charge is the same per minute.

$3.95 to sign up

$0.75/minute or

$55 for 100 minutes plus 10 bonus on the first day

$100 for 250 minutes plus 20 bonus on the first day

Rich

All forms of encryption currently used by wireless adapters can be easily cracked by someone with the correct software and surprisingly little time. Google wpa or wpa2 and crack and you will come up with 120,000 entries detailing how to do it. If you use a strong password, a combination of letters (upper and lower case), numbers and allowed special characters, in a fairly random order -- your key will take longer to crack but it can be done.

That assumes that you, or the person that set up your wireless, secured it in the first place. Many people do not. I have two in my area that are wide open.

Rich

It really depends on how strong of a password you are using. Even a weak WPA2 password will take days if not weeks to crack with a brute force dictionary attack. A strong password will take months or more likely years to brute force even with the right hardware and the newest tools.

But the point is well taken. WPA2 passwords that would have once taken hundreds of years to crack can now been done in relatively little time meaning months and years and not decades or centuries. Of course the time to crack these will just keep going down as processing power increases and software gets more sophisticated.

Basically you would have to be protecting something pretty valuable for someone to take the time and effort to sniff your network grab the hash and take it back to a server farm and let it run for however long to crack it. Your basic war driving teenager who is looking for a free wireless internet connection isn't going to take the time to do this sort of attack. Even somebody out looking for identity information will most likely choose an easier target than waste lots of time cracking your password only to find nothing but pictures of the grandkids :) There are just to many open networks and easier targets out there for them.

I look forward to hear what you think of it because I thought of that one too. How is the key board does it seem easy to use?

The keyboard is great. They keys are pretty much full size and easy to type with. It's a bit different using XP again after using Vista, but nothing too hard to get used to.

I do have a question for the computer techs here. I am running firefox, rather than explorer, and I am having trouble changing the text size of various websites. I've tried changing from within firefox and from my control settings in windows. I can't find a text size changer. Box size, etc yes, text no.

This question will surely show how technologically challenged I am.

Wondering about the battery life. After I charged the acer(6cell) the other day, Iused it on and off during the day and then closed it up, but didn't turn it off. When I went to use it yesterday, the battery wasn't charged at all. When you close it, is it also necessary to shut it off?

Archived