Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

Yesterday they premiered a fantastic 10" Dell on QVC, but it was much more money than the ones we're looking at.
I'm going to wait to see what Dell's price is.

BUT - if you want a good deal, Dell right now is selling the Mini 9 for $99. Yes, that's right - $99: $449 list minus a $350 mail-in rebate!!

One catch is you have to sign up for the AT&T Data Connect service at $60/month, and keep it for at least 3 months. Still, that's $20 cheaper than paying $299 in the first place, and the Data Connect might turn out to be something you like enough to keep.

* Rebate offer requires purchase of a qualifying Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with an integrated mobile broadband card through Dell Home Systems during the valid mail in rebate offer period. You must also activate AT&T Data Connect service starting at $60 per month and maintain said service for 90 calendar days. Additional offer details can be found at http://www.dell.com/ATT. Submit your rebate online at www.MiniMobileRebate.com.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/att_broadband_laptops?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I'm glad to see I'm not the only kid waiting for the big day to arrive:

Shipping estimate: March 12, 2009 - March 17, 2009

* 1 of: ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10-Inch Netbook (1.66 GHz Intel Atom N280 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, 10 GB E-Storage, Bluetooth, XP Home, 6 Cell Batte

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

I know what it says, but the email gets a good going over every morning to see if there is a "just shipped" notice in there somewhere.

The only negative thing on the specs is the 3 or 3.2 pound weight. I hope that isn't a real drawback.

Pete

I went and checked out some 10" models and even at 3 lbs, much lighter than my existing laptop. What really sold me was the advertised 9+ hours of battery life. I know it probably will be less than that, but even at 6 or 7 hours, its impressive.

And I know what you mean about checking every day for an email. I go to their site everyday, sometimes twice and check my order status. I also go to HALs site everyday to see if my cruise has dropped in price. We got a really good deal, but I love a bargain!!!

For some of us, size matters. I wanted small........ personally, I have large laptops. My goal was to go as small as practical. To add an additional inch + means it will not fit into particular bags I'd like to toss it into when traveling.

For those who want bigger, great.

Not all of us think bigger is better. :)

For some of us, size matters. I wanted small........ personally, I have large laptops. My goal was to go as small as practical. To add an additional inch + means it will not fit into particular bags I'd like to toss it into when traveling.

That's why there are so many choices out there. The one most people talk about on this post, the ACER, got great reviews also. It was my first choice until I saw the new ASUS. Bottom line, everyone's needs and wants are different.....get what makes you happy and enjoy!!!;)

After ordering the Acer 8.9, I was a bit sorry I hadn't gone for something bigger, but to tell you the truth, I'm thrilled with the weight of the one I got. I have some back issues so this little guy is perfect.DH has a bigger laptop that we've always lugged along, and now we won't have to do that.

Thanks. I wasn't clear where you stood on this.:D Because I run a website as well, I still need a screen large enough to view and manage that site while I'm away. Now, if I'm lucky, my new toy will arrive before I start 6 weeks worth of travel!

I'm going to wait to see what Dell's price is.

BUT - if you want a good deal, Dell right now is selling the Mini 9 for $99. Yes, that's right - $99: $449 list minus a $350 mail-in rebate!!

One catch is you have to sign up for the AT&T Data Connect service at $60/month, and keep it for at least 3 months. Still, that's $20 cheaper than paying $299 in the first place, and the Data Connect might turn out to be something you like enough to keep.

I saw that on their site and was so excited until I saw the "catch" ... too much hassle for me cancelling the AT&T. And whether I liked it or not, too expensive for my blood these days:D.

I stopped by Office Depot today and played with the Acer. Wow! I loved it! And even knowing how small it was, and knowing how light, I still couldn't believe it. Tried the keyboard and it was perfectly fine!!!

So now I have to see if I can rationalize an expense for something I'll only use 3 to 4 times a year for travel. Here at home this laptop is just fine.

I saw that on their site and was so excited until I saw the "catch" ... too much hassle for me cancelling the AT&T. And whether I liked it or not, too expensive for my blood these days:D.

I stopped by Office Depot today and played with the Acer. Wow! I loved it! And even knowing how small it was, and knowing how light, I still couldn't believe it. Tried the keyboard and it was perfectly fine!!!

So now I have to see if I can rationalize an expense for something I'll only use 3 to 4 times a year for travel. Here at home this laptop is just fine.

I justified mine by telling my husband he wouldn't have to carry the big one through the airport anymore, plus his, plus our bags.:D

Thanks. I wasn't clear where you stood on this.:D Because I run a website as well, I still need a screen large enough to view and manage that site while I'm away. Now, if I'm lucky, my new toy will arrive before I start 6 weeks worth of travel!

Lucky me..... :D

I only do e-mail and browse/post.

On vacation, we are committed to nothing but vacation and each other.

Lucky me..... :D

I only do e-mail and browse/post.

On vacation, we are committed to nothing but vacation and each other.

That's so sweet. :)

Part of the joy of being self employed (both of us), is getting to bring your work with you. Or not go. :rolleyes:

DH is self-employed. ;)

Lucky him that he can leave it behind then. We can't! Part of my issue with getting a smaller machine has been the complicated software I need to run stacking plans, blueprints and other construction configurations. It takes up a lot of room on the hard drive. :) I guess there will still be times when I will need to cart the big one along, but mostly, I'm trying to book travel inbetween construction projects these days. :0

... too much hassle for me cancelling the AT&T. And whether I liked it or not, too expensive for my blood these days:D.
I'm not sure I'd have to, since bellsouth.net is att now. As I understand it, the AT&T Data Connect is a "go anywhere" service that you can use anywhere there's a cell phone signal --- like for a Blackberry. Isn't that what iphones use? But, I agree that another $60/mo is something I don't need right now! :D

i took a look at the little Acer at Costco today while I was out, and for me, the 8.9 inch is just too small. I don't think the 10 inch is available in Canada, at least that I can find, so I may have to wait for the new Dell to come out.

Source will be getting them "soon", they advertise. Future Shop has the HP 10", if you're interested in that.

Lucky him that he can leave it behind then. We can't! Part of my issue with getting a smaller machine has been the complicated software I need to run stacking plans, blueprints and other construction configurations. It takes up a lot of room on the hard drive. :) I guess there will still be times when I will need to cart the big one along, but mostly, I'm trying to book travel inbetween construction projects these days. :0

I just got an 250 MB external hard drive at Walmart for less than $100. You just plug it in to the USB port....no electric cord. About 3" by 5". Just a thought.

Pete

I just got an 250 MB external hard drive at Walmart for less than $100. You just plug it in to the USB port....no electric cord. About 3" by 5". Just a thought.

Pete

Very cool. I'll take a look. Another godsend has been data sticks. You can get so much data on those little things!

:D Isn't that the truth, John. I thought that last night.

Of all the threads I have started through the years, this one seems to have picqued interest from so many.....even folks who never considered these little mini's. While it isn't strictly pertaining to cruising, specifically cruising HAL, I'm glad the Hosts saw the pertinence to us as travelers trying to 'lighten our loads'. I'm delighted so many have gotten help....makes me feel good I wasn't the only one who needed to turn to the experts among us for guidance.

Thanks to all who helped by sharing such useful info and for everyone for participating.

I'm not sure I'd have to, since bellsouth.net is att now. As I understand it, the AT&T Data Connect is a "go anywhere" service that you can use anywhere there's a cell phone signal --- like for a Blackberry. Isn't that what iphones use? But, I agree that another $60/mo is something I don't need right now! :D

Especially if you're someone like me who has a Verizon pay as you go for only $15/month!!! Can't rationalize $60! LOL!

I justified mine by telling my husband he wouldn't have to carry the big one through the airport anymore, plus his, plus our bags.:D

Good one! Won't work for me since when I fly I'm generally alone and lugging it myself which which is really why I'd like the Acer. This laptop at about 5 1/2 lbs feels very heavy in and out of the bag, into the bin, out of the bin, etc.

I agree this has been a wonderfully informative thread for all who travel, a departure for the usual cruise talk, but still very applicable!:)

John and Rich, I just wanted to let you know that now my IPod Touch is working with my home WiFi. Strangest thing, it claimed I had the wrong password so I just turned it off after trying it twice. Then I turned it on today and low and behold I had an internet connection the first time ever here at home since I have owned it :D Not that I need it with have my computer and my laptop but at least it is good to know that I now know where to get my very long password for when I do plan to get a new laptop. :)

The info I have gotten from CC for a netbook has been so helpful. I also have my grandson here explaining everything I don't understand about the specs. of the Acer Aspire One. Now all I have to do is go the a store & get the feel of the netbook. If all is good I will then be ordering one thru the web for my next cruise. So thanks everyone for all the info...:D

My grandson (the computer geek) found this info to show me the difference between a Hard Drive & a SSD so I could figure which type of netbook I wanted to get. He said for travel if I did not need or want the extra weight & memory he would get the one with SSD instead of the hard drive as it would hold up much better if jolted or dropped. Here are a couple of links to explain the differences:

http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766

http://windowstipoftheday.blogspot.com/2008/10/solid-state-drive-ssd-vs-hard-disk.html

Hope they help for anyone looking to buy a netbook. I think after all this & after I actually go to the store to get the feel of the Acer Aspire One that is the one I will be buying.

Happy shopping....

My acer one is home and all programmed. it takes a bit of getting used to the keyboard. I hit the caps key and didn't realize it. But, it talks to my home computer, can print from another room on my printer in my office, and can download any document on my home computer. I think I'm going to love it.

I have loads of recipes on the computer and I can see keeping this in a safe place in the kitchen and cooking without having to print out a recipe or going back and forth from room to room to see what to do.

After a lot of research and price shopping, I bought the Acer Aspire One from Tiger Direct (By far the best price for this model). I bought the 1.6 gig and paid a few dollars more for the model wit the larger battery(6cell) which gives over 5 hours of usage. This model also runs Windows XP (not just Linux) and came preloaded with Midorsoft Office trial version (which I will make permanent after the trial period, since I do a lot of word-processing) not just Works.

The screen is very visible and the key board not that much different from a regular laptop once you get the feel for it..It is very lightweight (under 2 1/2 pounds) and slips right inot my handbag or tote

At TigerDirect (taxes, shipping and all) I paid right at $400.

I got a nice sleeve for it off E-bay for 12.95. .

I am very happy with my purchase.

Archived