Getting sick ....

neighbour_lady

Hey there, My husband and two Teens went on H/A Eurodam December 6th sailing. We were all fine and looking forward to this holiday in the sunshine in the Eastern Caribbean.

This was our 6th cruise.

On the second day we went to Grand Turk. I collasped on the pier. I could barely walk. I went to see the ship doctor and was immediately put onto IV drip back on the ship. I stayed most of the evening with HA doctor/nurse and then sent back to my room to sleep. They called me several times to check in on me.

The hospital in Grand Turk was ravaged by Hurricane in Sept 08 and didn't have a roof, I was so glad they didn't take me there....yikes!

The next morning, our ship was going to port at San Juan Puerto Rico for the day. I was taken by a driver (that H/A provided) to Hima San Pablo Hospital. I was given a CT, chest Xrays, MRI, Blood work etc. This is one of the best hospitals in the Caribbean I was told. Most speak spanish but the doctors speak good English. Being Canadian we didn't understand spanish but they sure tried for me.

My husband was told I would not be coming back to the ship. He and our kids had to pack up two rooms to disembark same day. The room stewards helped and got the luggage all to the pier. They were put up in a hotel 40 mins from the pier and across the street from the hospital.

I was put into ICU for 2.5 days....Ugh. Great holiday eh? .....

Holland American was wonderful to us. They credited our shore excursions, our wine cards, coffee cards, soda cards and spa treatments...it was all put onto our visa as credits.

Anyways, being Canadian, and we had bought LOTS of insurance. Yes through Holland American, we had my work medical insurance we had for both of us at our jobs, and I had bought another policy good for a year as we cross into USA from Canada frequently. So all the companies are (hopefully) working together to reimburse us shortly.

I ended up staying in hospital for 14 days. The care was Top notch. :D I felt like royality. They took such good care of me. I didn't have surgery there and stayed on IV the entire 14 days to correct the problem. No food.

Holland America's insurance company helped organize to fly our kids home alone so they could return to school on Dec 14th. They organized the hotel, drivers when we needed them.

Not knowing this - when I arrived at the hospital - they only supply ONE sheet on the bed. Nothing else. We had to buy pillows, blankets, comforter, bed pan, towels, soaps, gown, PJ's and who knows what else....We donated it all afterwards as we couldn't take it back with us.

Being on a holiday in the sun - we didn't have a thing and we racked up quite a $$$$ buying most of this stuff.

We flew home to Canada on Dec 24th in a wicked snow storm. I felt like an angel was watching over me to get home after 16 hours of flying. They really drugged me up to fly...Yeah ...as I don't remember much of it... I was extremely lucky girl to have such wonderful care, fanastic doctors and Holland America looking after us....

The people in Puerto Rico are wonderful. My husband met a taxi driver who gave us his International Cell phone. We paid him $40 for the chip for the phone and he gave it to us to use to call home long distance FREE the entire time while I was in hospital. He was my saviour... Talking to my parents at home daily helpeld my mom not have a heart attack worrying about me so far away..I called everyone at home, it really brighten my spirits hearing voices I knew....I will never be able to repay this great person for what he did for me. We gave it back to him when we left.

The cleaning lady at the hospital took my towels, clothing, sheets all home and washed everything for me. There was no laundry at the hotel or close by and she brought it all back the following day washed and ironed. Geesh!!! How sweet?

I have a long road of recovery ahead of me yet. I have not returned to my full time job yet. (Probably late March 09). I am having surgery here in February, and hopefully get on with my life and back to normal once its done....Yeah. I can't wait;)

I kept a journal while in hospital so I am writing a short story...we'll see if I publish it. NOT!

But my point of this story is BUY MEDICAL INSURANCE. My top of the line work extended health plan only covers for 7 days in a hospital. I was in for 14 days...I know it costs money for another insurance, but you never know when its your turn to fall ill like I did, totally out of the blue........

Sorry its such a long story....Kari

I hope you are feeling ok now. How terrible for you. You just never know what can happen. I too have medical insurance through my employer but I never thought to look to see how much hospitalization it covers. Thank you for the heads up.

Glad the outcome was good and you were in a place with decent medical care. But what an ordeal!!

FYI, hospitals in many Latin American countries provide medical treatment and a bed. As you posted, bedding, non-medical items, and in some cases even meals and nursing care are not provided. I am guessing because Latin cultures tend to be very family-oriented, it's assumed family members will take care of those things.

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have been researching my workplace extended medical insurance plan for our next cruise and was told I don't need additional coverage, but after reading your post I will definitely purchase additional coverage. I wish you all the best for a rapid recovery.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Just like DMGG, I've always been told that we'd only need my workplace Extended Medical insurance, but we always buy the package as well, and have been told it's completely unnecessary. Now maybe we should check out getting even more coverage, maybe through our credit card. Best wishes for a complete and uneventful recovery!

Neighbour_Lady, thank you so much for posting. It was generous of you to take the time while still ill. I hope your recovery goes well.

As a fellow Canadian, I also worry about whether the web of basic insurance/extra insurance/travel insurance will come through in a crunch. I'm glad it did for you. I know reimbursement can be a nightmare, while everyone decides who is subrogated to whom :rolleyes:, but I expect the wrinkles will smooth out eventually. Wishing you all the best in your recovery!

Thank you for sharing this with us. I have always purchased the insurance from HAL. I know it costs a bit more but the few times I have had to use it have more than paid me back.

HAL is great at handling this kind of situation. About 6 years ago on the Statendam I was injured in the gym. Broke my shoulder, collarbone and tore my rotator cuff. I had to be flown home for emergency surgery. The staff was amazing and took such care of me and DH during this time.

After that experience we always buy insurance.

You are in my prayers for a swift recovery

Blessings to you for a speedy and non-eventful recovery. We always purchase insurance that covers pre-existing medical conditions and things before our trip and have great policies through our jobs. However, your story is a poignant reminder to us all.

If you don't mind sharing, what was your final diagnosis?

So sorry you had such a bad experience while on vacation, but luckily you got very good care and managed to get home OK. You don't say why you need surgery, but I hope that goes well for you. It's so awful to be sick when you're away from home.

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have been researching my workplace extended medical insurance plan for our next cruise and was told I don't need additional coverage, but after reading your post I will definitely purchase additional coverage. I wish you all the best for a rapid recovery.

Hi - Thank you all for the wonderful sweet comments. For you fellow Canadians my work insurance is through Sun Life and its top of the line quality but only 7 days in hospital and $150 a day for spouse for hotel/food.

(Even the $150 isn't that great too, but least it covers most of it).

It turned out I had three perforations in my instestinal track. I didn't have any pains in this area at all. Oddly, there was a stabbing knive pain under my right arm - which was loose air floating around inside of me from the perforations. It was very painful. Ouch.

I was told if I had flown my stomach would have blown up with the pressure/air floating around. Another Ouch.

While in hospital they kept me on IV the entire time and sealed up the perforations in Puerto Rico. Yeah!

They were going to do surgery in Puerto Rico, but the Board of Surgeons there decided to try via IV and this worked to seal them up. They felt I would be better off having future surgeries at home vs in a foreign hospital.

Anyways my surgery scheduled for February is called Anterior Resection of the Sigmoid Colon. In lame terms they will remove the weak section where the perforations (were) and re-attach it to the colon.

Also, the person that said about spanish helping the sick of their families. That is so true. Every room had a family member looking after the patient. In my room an elderly lady had her grand children stay over night and relatives took turns through out the day to stay with this kind lady while she was in hospital. It was very organized and such caring people on this island.

So I sit at home, watching boring daytime tv, writing, and just passing my time by waiting for surgery. I can't wait for the spring to arrive and back to normal after the surgery. And back to full time time work.....:D k.

Thanks Neighbour-Lady. My DH and I are Canadian as well and have group insurance coverage through Chambers of Commerce and Great-West Life, respectively. I had tried finding out the out-of-country "limits" of our coverage for our upcoming cruise and got the run-around from both companies. After reading your post, we decided we should top up anyway to be on the safe side. The extra coverage will only be $42 for the two of us.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

Hi - Thank you all for the wonderful sweet comments. For you fellow Canadians my work insurance is through Sun Life and its top of the line quality but only 7 days in hospital and $150 a day for spouse for hotel/food.

(Even the $150 isn't that great too, but least it covers most of it).

..:D k.

ok now I'm really worried...I am Canadian and my work insurance is through Sunlife:eek:. I tried to find something about their coverage on the website....but it looks like I need to call. Thanks so much for posting this.

You must be a terribly strong person to have gone thru all you have, and I find it amazing for you to share it all with us, and thank you for thinking of your fellow cruisers! Having said that, I'd just like to say to you personally, that I suffered simular medical conditions in '96 and was all the better after the surgery. It will come and go in a flash, you have seem worse already! I wish you God speed and many cruises to come. I personally take them as often as I can to remind myself, that Life is short, do something with it. I will be thinking about you, Diane

I'm glad you made it home safely. My mother-in-law had a similar experience when she was in Greece. Her insurance picked up the bill for her hospital stay, my father-in-law's hotel room, and the change in the flights back home when she was well enough to travel. They even provided a student nurse to accompany them on the flights back home. She flew with them, stayed one night in a hotel at our airport, and then flew back the next day.

She ended up writing a book about her experience.

So even though we've never needed to use the insurance we've purchased on our trips, I figure my purchase is paying back for the wonderful treatment my in-laws received.

Archived