Buying cigarettes

aussie keith

I'm sorry for this question but I have no idea what duty free is. You can buy cigs on board duty free. What is duty free? What does it mean?

It kinda means tax exempt, which is what drives up the cost of cigarettes and alcohol (and some other items).

can you buy just one carton on board or do you have to get the 5 ctn thing? Anyone know if they sell marlboro ultra lights or ultra light 100's? me and a friend on board wanna split one. we dont smoke a ton and i plan to quit after the trip so i dont want 5 ctns.

ROFLMAO Keith!!!

My sister watches our dogs and house while we're gone, I always buy her a 5 pack (5 cartons) of Marlboros for her trouble, I can get them on the ship for about 80.00, cigs are about 45 a carton here so it's a great deal for us and she's tickled pink to do it, or maybe blue since she's a smoker!! Just kidding ;)

I know there are other brands, but not a big selection, Virgina slims come to mind and I just don't remember the rest, maybe I'll make a list when I'm on next month.

Happy cruising, Carole

Just got off the Holiday... Yes the 5 carton is no longer 80 but it is 90 still a awesome deal for cigs.. The two cartons are 41...still a great deal..

Have fun cruising.....I know I did..

which was why I said ROFLMAO, but I don't think he got it :D

I get it, Leaper instead of Leper! :D

How about for the Western Caribbean? Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Coz? Any prices? Anyone know if they (ship and shore) carry Parliments? I would assume Marlboro Menthal 100 and Newport 100 would be available!?

Thanks

Thanks for all the quick responses, much appreciated. What a great forum. Full of instant info. Happy cruising all.

When buying cigs ashore, make sure they are marked "Class A". Some islands where really cheap ones are for sale are "Class B".....and, my smoking friends say they taste like hay or straw and burn faster. The smell is different too. I guess some manufacturers make a couple of different types of cigs for overseas markets......

Ain't that the truth. I know people that have more compassion for murderers than they do for smokers. *LOL*

That's becaue, in most cases, murderers only kill one person at a time where smokers, when smoking in public, are killing masses of people all at once...only slowly. So smokers are not only mass murderes they are also mass torturers because the deaths come slowly and painfully :) :D ;)

What about St. Thomas. It's easy to find Marlboro but Virginia Slims menthol lights are tough. Does anyone know if I can get them there?

The last time we stopped in St. Thomas, my smoking spouse bought a couple cartons of a major brand.

BAD MOVE. People who smoke will realize HOW bad when I say:

They were STALE......after a couple of packs were opened, they ended up in "le garbage".

Price of cigs on some islands may be low: but buyers beware. There won't be any way to return 'em. Suggest you buy new ones from the ship, which has steady turnover.

That's becaue, in most cases, murderers only kill one person at a time where smokers, when smoking in public, are killing masses of people all at once...only slowly. So smokers are not only mass murderes they are also mass torturers because the deaths come slowly and painfully :) :D ;)

Wow..

I am speechless.

That hardly ever happens...

Doctors and hospitals kill almost 200,000 a year due to error, 43,000 people are killed in auto accidents (ban cars!)---17,000 of those deaths are alcohol related (ban alcohol), 70,000 a year die as the result of air pollution of all kinds.

Grow up.

Life is a risk. If you chose not to be around smokers, find another cruise line where smoking is severely restricted or banned.

I assumed the good pastor was joking. After all, if we wanted to go here, more people are killed due to religion than smoking any year

Cough...cough...it sure is smokey in this thread :)

Yes I was joking...notice the three smiley faces after my comments.

Doctors and hospitals kill almost 200' date='000 a year due to error, 43,000 people are killed in auto accidents (ban cars!)---17,000 of those deaths are alcohol related (ban alcohol), 70,000 a year die as the result of air pollution of all kinds.

Grow up.

Life is a risk. If you chose not to be around smokers, find another cruise line where smoking is severely restricted or banned.[/quote']

As already mentioned...notice three smiley faces after comment...universal sign that a poster is poking fun...using humor...get it??

That said...I love how smokers some how need to justify their actions, and how it affects other people, with hilarious stats that in no way compare equally to their habit and the toll it takes on them and other people around them.

*LOL* I did see the smileys and knew it was tongue in cheek.

I was gonna say Oh so you are the guy with the guitar and the tamburine at the candlelight vigil outside the prison to protest some animal finally getting his. *LOL*

No, I did not get it. And,after reading it again, still don't. What does ROFLMAO mean? Rights Of Fellow Lepers Mean Absolutely 0 ? maybe.

I hate all these shorts - but I think yours is much better than the original one. Keep them coming.

Doctors and hospitals kill almost 200' date='000 a year due to error..........[/quote']

Pretty inflated number. From the FDA (still a startling number)

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/500_err.html

the IOM estimates that 44,000 to 98,000 Americans die each year not from the medical conditions they checked in with, but from preventable medical errors.

A medical error, under the report's definition, could mean a health-care provider chose an inappropriate method of care, such as giving a patient a certain asthma drug without knowing that he or she was allergic to it. Or it could mean the health provider chose the right course of care but carried it out incorrectly, such as intending to infuse a patient with diluted potassium chloride--a potassium supplement--but inadvertently giving the patient a concentrated, lethal overdose.

Doctors and hospitals kill almost 200' date='000 a year due to error, 43,000 people are killed in auto accidents (ban cars!)---17,000 of those deaths are alcohol related (ban alcohol), 70,000 a year die as the result of air pollution of all kinds.

Grow up.

Life is a risk. If you chose not to be around smokers, find another cruise line where smoking is severely restricted or banned.[/quote']

Why Don't You Give Us The Rest of The Numbers

From the National Institute on Drug Abuse

http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/tobacco.html

Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States.

Between 1964 and 2004, cigarette smoking caused an estimated 12 million deaths, including 4.1 million deaths from cancer, 5.5 million deaths from cardiovascular diseases, 2.1 million deaths from respiratory diseases, and 94,000 infant deaths related to mothers smoking during pregnancy.1 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cigarette smoking results in more than 400,000 premature deaths each year—about 1 in every 5 U.S. deaths.

Personally, I would rather not take the risk.

Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States.

Between 1964 and 2004, cigarette smoking caused an estimated 12 million deaths, including 4.1 million deaths from cancer, 5.5 million deaths from cardiovascular diseases, 2.1 million deaths from respiratory diseases, and 94,000 infant deaths related to mothers smoking during pregnancy.1 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cigarette smoking results in more than 400,000 premature deaths each year—about 1 in every 5 U.S. deaths.

If you want to "help out" and post the 'rest of the numbers', you might want to check out what numbers you post. ;)

Besides the babies in utero, these are FIRST-hand smoking stats. Not secondhand, which is what G'ma was talking about.

I get it, Leaper instead of Leper! :D

How about for the Western Caribbean? Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Coz? Any prices? Anyone know if they (ship and shore) carry Parliments? I would assume Marlboro Menthal 100 and Newport 100 would be available!?

Thanks

We just did this itinerary 2 weeks ago and there was a sign that said only 1 carton of cigarettes can be brought back.

It said no additional duty can be paid and all other cartons will be confiscated.

Bill

Pretty inflated number. From the FDA (still a startling number)

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/500_err.html

the IOM estimates that 44,000 to 98,000 Americans die each year not from the medical conditions they checked in with, but from preventable medical errors. Here, from the AMA, July 26,2000:

The report apparently shows there are 2,000 deaths/year from unnecessary surgery; 7000 deaths/year from medication errors in hospitals; 20,000 deaths/year from other errors in hospitals; 80,000 deaths/year from infections in hospitals; 106,000 deaths/year from non-error, adverse effects of medications - these total up to 225,000 deaths per year in the US from iatrogenic causes which ranks these deaths as the # 3 killer. Iatrogenic is a term used when a patient dies as a direct result of treatments by a physician, whether it is from misdiagnosis of the ailment or from adverse drug reactions used to treat the illness. (drug reactions are the most common cause).

http://www.cancure.org/medical_errors.htm

This article shows these conditions to be the 3rd highest cause of death in the U.S. I think the difference between the two articles is that JAMA lists ALL deaths including drug reactions.... No matter how you count it, I'd rather be near a smoker than in a hospital. My chances are better of being alive in a week......:p

A medical error, under the report's definition, could mean a health-care provider chose an inappropriate method of care, such as giving a patient a certain asthma drug without knowing that he or she was allergic to it. Or it could mean the health provider chose the right course of care but carried it out incorrectly, such as intending to infuse a patient with diluted potassium chloride--a potassium supplement--but inadvertently giving the patient a concentrated, lethal overdose.

No matter how you add it up, or how it's calculated, they are all still deadly medical errors that are fatal....................

And, from the Surgeon General, Richard H. Carmona, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.C.S.

Surgeon General

U.S. Public Health Service

Acting Assistant Secretary for Health

Department of Health and Human Services

• In the year 2000, the total annual cost of obesity in the United States was $117 billion. While extra value meals may save us some change at the counter, they’re costing us billions of dollars in health care and lost productivity. Physical inactivity and super-sized meals are leading to a nation of oversized people.
  • This year, more than 300,000 Americans will die from illnesses related to overweight and obesity.
  • Obesity contributes to the number-one cause of death in our nation: heart disease.
  • Excess weight has also led to an increase in the number of people suffering from Type 2 diabetes. There are at least 17 million Americans with diabetes, and another 16 million have pre-diabetes. Each year, diabetes costs America $132 billion. It can lead to eye diseases, cardiovascular problems, kidney failure, and early death.

Those who smoke are aware of the risks, those who eat themselves into a casket are aware of the risks.. It's about personal choice.

A nonsmoker never has to be exposed to smoking anywhere, anytime unless he chooses to.

"A nonsmoker never has to be exposed to smoking anywhere, anytime unless he chooses to."

I've been reading this thread and not wanting to jump in here until this one. I smoked for 22 years and live with a smoker. I understand both sides. I am not opposed to smoking, so please don't get me wrong. But, this statement is incorrect. There are many times in my daily life that I am exposed to smoking. I live in a smoke free city, so everyone who smokes, does so right outside the door of the establishment they are in. I do, in fact, have to walk through their smoke in order to exit or enter. This is true of restaurants, bars, grocery stores, and, really, anywhere. When I go on my cruise, I will most definitely be exposed to smoke. I have no problem with any smoker who smokes in the designated smoking areas. If I walk through those, I should have to put up with smoke. But, it's the inconsiderate jerks who light up the moment they get the chance that ruin it. Just my opinion!

Archived