Buying cigarettes

aussie keith

If the U.S. Government REALLY cared about the health of it's citizens, it would do the following:

Tax every carton of cigarettes an additional $100.00. You'd be AMAZED how fast many, many people who have THOUGHT about quitting for health reasons (probably more than half of smokers) would use that one right there as an incentive to just quit and save a fortune.

p.s the spouse is having some success lately with the nicotine patch, has somehow REDUCED use from 20 ciggies a day, down to 4. Hopefully the next patch stage will fully end the possibly-kill-yourself-action !

If the U.S. Government REALLY cared about the health of it's citizens, it would do the following:

Tax every carton of cigarettes an additional $100.00. You'd be AMAZED how fast many, many people who have THOUGHT about quitting for health reasons (probably more than half of smokers) would use that one right there as an incentive to just quit and save a fortune.

p.s the spouse is having some success lately with the nicotine patch, has somehow REDUCED use from 20 ciggies a day, down to 4. Hopefully the next patch stage will fully end the possibly-kill-yourself-action !

Not going to work for everyone.. Packs are $9 and up in NYC.. and still selling...

And' date=' from the Surgeon General, [b']Richard H. Carmona, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.C.S.[/b]

Surgeon General

U.S. Public Health Service

Acting Assistant Secretary for Health

Department of Health and Human Services

• In the year 2000, the total annual cost of obesity in the United States was $117 billion. While extra value meals may save us some change at the counter, they’re costing us billions of dollars in health care and lost productivity. Physical inactivity and super-sized meals are leading to a nation of oversized people.
  • This year, more than 300,000 Americans will die from illnesses related to overweight and obesity.
  • Obesity contributes to the number-one cause of death in our nation: heart disease.
  • Excess weight has also led to an increase in the number of people suffering from Type 2 diabetes. There are at least 17 million Americans with diabetes, and another 16 million have pre-diabetes. Each year, diabetes costs America $132 billion. It can lead to eye diseases, cardiovascular problems, kidney failure, and early death.

Those who smoke are aware of the risks, those who eat themselves into a casket are aware of the risks.. It's about personal choice.

A nonsmoker never has to be exposed to smoking anywhere, anytime unless he chooses to.

ah.... the good old "Wave the Bloody Shirt" argument.

Smoking deaths mean nothing because we have .... too many alcohol deaths, diabetes deaths, auto deaths, obesity deaths..............

Why can not people just admit the facts for what they are. Smoking kills at an unacceptable rate........plain and simple.

Why Don't You Give Us The Rest of The Numbers

From the National Institute on Drug Abuse

http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/tobacco.html

Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of disease, disability, and death in the United States.

Between 1964 and 2004, cigarette smoking caused an estimated 12 million deaths, including 4.1 million deaths from cancer, 5.5 million deaths from cardiovascular diseases, 2.1 million deaths from respiratory diseases, and 94,000 infant deaths related to mothers smoking during pregnancy.1 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cigarette smoking results in more than 400,000 premature deaths each year—about 1 in every 5 U.S. deaths.

Personally, I would rather not take the risk.

The Last time I checked it is LEGAL!

Doctors and hospitals kill almost 200' date='000 a year due to error, 43,000 people are killed in auto accidents (ban cars!)---17,000 of those deaths are alcohol related (ban alcohol), 70,000 a year die as the result of air pollution of all kinds.

Grow up.

Life is a risk. If you chose not to be around smokers, find another cruise line where smoking is severely restricted or banned.[/quote']

It is not dying from cigarette smoke that I am against, it is the nasty stench of them.

Now a fine cigar, that is a horse of a different color. :p :D

As already mentioned...notice three smiley faces after comment...universal sign that a poster is poking fun...using humor...get it??

That said...I love how smokers some how need to justify their actions, and how it affects other people, with hilarious stats that in no way compare equally to their habit and the toll it takes on them and other people around them.

Hot button topic, dude. No room for humor here, apparently. ;)

As usual... a perfectly innocent question about cigarettes gets transformed into a smoking lecture/debate by a select few....

GROW UP Y'all ! :mad:

C'mon, you can count on any discussion of tobacco to turn into smoker's rights vs public health. It is more likely to morph into a shouting match than jeans in the dining room. ;)

ah.... the good old "Wave the Bloody Shirt" argument.

Smoking deaths mean nothing because we have .... too many alcohol deaths, diabetes deaths, auto deaths, obesity deaths..............

Why can not people just admit the facts for what they are. Smoking kills at an unacceptable rate........plain and simple.

Well, if it's so unacceptable, why is tobacco still legal?

I'll tell ya.

If they banned tobacco, the black market would increase a thousandfold and the drug cartels would get richer.

The economies of our tobacco growing states would totally collapse.

The billions and billions of $$$ collected by tobacco taxes at the state and federal level could not be replaced. (Unless they switched that tax to something else like fatty foods, alcohol, automobiles....now, there's a thought).

Hundreds of tobacco lobbyists and the toads they own in Washington DC would go broke.

All the honking about deaths caused or related to smoking is just noise. Smokers will smoke...no matter how much it costs, no matter if it's "banned", no matter what. Like other substances that are illegal, cigarettes would be added to the smuggling process.

There is enough room for everyone in our society----as long as they aren't breaking the law. There are smoking and nonsmoking areas in practically every situation across the land.

Just learn to live with it.

Not going to work for everyone.. Packs are $9 and up in NYC.. and still selling...

In New Jersey, as cigarettes are now over 60.00 a carton, tobacco sales have dropped......

However, those close enough simply drive an hour to Delaware and save almost 30.00 a carton.......

Or, like my neighbor, there are loads of cigarettes for sale on certain streets in Philly....where you can buy a carton for 10-20.00. Of course, most of them don't have a tax stamp on them.

Sooner or later, the price will become untennable and more people will resort to the black market.....

More tax dollars needed to fund more DEA or ATF officers to nab the crooks who sell and those who buy.

If they added 100.00 tax, cigarette sales would drop through the floor.....and, everyone who smokes would find another place to purchase them.

Think "prohibition".

Well' date=' if it's so unacceptable, why is tobacco still legal? I'll tell ya. If they banned tobacco, the black market would increase a thousandfold and the drug cartels would get richer..[/quote']

I have never advocated a total ban on smoking. I know it is legal and I have no problem with it. I just want to see more restrictions.

The economies of our tobacco growing states would totally collapse..

Let em grow something more useful like a food crop' date=' bio fuel or other product.

The billions and billions of $$$ collected by tobacco taxes at the state and federal level could not be replaced. (Unless they switched that tax to something else like fatty foods, alcohol, automobiles....now, there's a thought)..

We have too many taxes now. No loss to me.

Hundreds of tobacco lobbyists and the toads they own in Washington DC would go broke..

Wouldn't you also like to see those "toads" become more useful contributors to our society too. :confused:

All the honking about deaths caused or related to smoking is just noise. ..

You give all those statistics for alcohol' date=' diabetes, obesity deaths and then call smoking deaths, diseases and related illnesses irrelevant. :confused: That type of logic negates any validity to any of your arguments.

Smokers will smoke...no matter how much it costs, no matter if it's "banned", no matter what. Like other substances that are illegal, cigarettes would be added to the smuggling process..

As I mentioned above.... I have never advocated banning or making smoking illegal.

There is enough room for everyone in our society----as long as they aren't breaking the law. There are smoking and nonsmoking areas in practically every situation across the land.

Just learn to live with it.

......and I will..... Just want to "live with it" in a more restrictive society. ;) :D

I have never advocated a total ban on smoking. I know it is legal and I have no problem with it. I just want to see more restrictions.

Let em grow something more useful like a food crop, bio fuel or other product.

We have too many taxes now. No loss to me.

Wouldn't you also like to see those "toads" become more useful contributors to our society too.

You give all those statistics for alcohol, diabetes, obesity deaths and then call smoking deaths, diseases and related illnesses irrelevant. That type of logic negates any validity to any of your arguments.

As I mentioned above.... I have never advocated banning or making smoking illegal.

......and I will..... Just want to "live with it" in a more restrictive society. ;) :D

Did I miss something or have you "not" answered the "OPs" question of whether or not they could buy smokes....hmmmmmm.....:eek::eek:

How did this turn into an anti smoking thread.

As has been said they always do.

The funny thing is the "OP" asked a simple question..."Can I buy cigarettes onboard?".....Answer is yes......It only took one post to answer the "OPs" question...lol...

The "OP" did not ask ..."If I smoke onboard will it bother anyone else onboard?" Also did not ask for an opinion on health issues.

I think it is time to triangle everyone that is on the crusade:rolleyes: for "Thread hijacking"........:D

Note sticky at top of this forum......LOL.......

• 7 months later...

My inlaws are taking their first cruise with us in a couple weeks and they asked a questions we have never had to address being a non-smoker.

If you purchase cigarettes onboard or in a port do they confinscate them until the end of the week like they do alcohol????

Thanks,

Sean

My inlaws are taking their first cruise with us in a couple weeks and they asked a questions we have never had to address being a non-smoker.

If you purchase cigarettes onboard or in a port do they confinscate them until the end of the week like they do alcohol????

Thanks,

Sean

No they don't you can take them right away.

Same question as above..........totally baffled......there's always been alot of talk about permission to bring through customs tax-free 5 cartons.

So what are we talkin' about........if you buy 5 cartons on ship......are you hit with a customs tax ? Do you need to declare that they came from the ship?

If they DID come from ship.......how much tax must you pay????? Or do you lie and say you got NO cigartettes ??? Please fill us in.

Archived