Alaska - Early May - First Timers.

travel_lover

We are a family Cruising on NCL Pearl for her first sailing out to Alaska May 10th - May 17th. It's our first time and we really need as much advice as possible, I tried reading through the boards but still I feel like I need more information.

What can we expect to see early May, or not to see because it's still early season? What shouldn't we miss? Things that are must do's and must see's for first timers to Alaska. What are things you think we'd be better off missing or not wasting time on?

Please any information AT ALL that you could give us would be great.

Anything having to do with Alaska/Cruising early May, even if I didn't ask the questions above...please still tell us what you think and what your experience were.

We went early May/08 (Sailed on the 7th, I think). It was fabulous, there were almost no other ships in port, and very few tourists. Loved it, have another tripped planned for early May this year.

Expect cold-ish weather, and be happy if you get short-sleeves weather. Enjoy looking at all the snow on the mountain peaks.

We saw orcas, humpbacks, sea lions, seals, eagles. No bears for us (thank goodness). Some of the things we wanted to do (fast ferry to Haines from Skagway) wasn't running on its "peak season" schedule so we had to miss it. There was a restaurant in Skagway we wanted to try that wasn't open yet. Everything else in all the ports was open/available as far as I recall.

We lucked into WONDERFUL spring weather, with only one day that was cold & rainy (Ketchikan). Otherwise, mostly sun and relative warmth. We were extrememly lucky.

Take a waterproof jacket with hood. Leave the umbrella at home -- it gets in the way, and can be a real hazard to those around you.

We went early May/08 (Sailed on the 7th, I think). It was fabulous, there were almost no other ships in port, and very few tourists. Loved it, have another tripped planned for early May this year.

Expect cold-ish weather, and be happy if you get short-sleeves weather. Enjoy looking at all the snow on the mountain peaks.

We saw orcas, humpbacks, sea lions, seals, eagles. No bears for us (thank goodness). Some of the things we wanted to do (fast ferry to Haines from Skagway) wasn't running on its "peak season" schedule so we had to miss it. There was a restaurant in Skagway we wanted to try that wasn't open yet. Everything else in all the ports was open/available as far as I recall.

We lucked into WONDERFUL spring weather, with only one day that was cold & rainy (Ketchikan). Otherwise, mostly sun and relative warmth. We were extrememly lucky.

Take a waterproof jacket with hood. Leave the umbrella at home -- it gets in the way, and can be a real hazard to those around you.

Thank you so much for your feedback. On our list of things to purchase before we go is ponchos with hoods...I will try and see if I can find something waterproof. Did you have to go on an excursion to see those animals or were they just around?

I actually giggled at the umbrella part I had the picture of when i'm in new york city and everyones hitting eachother with the umbrellas. Yup those things can be a hazard.

Again thank you!

On our list of things to purchase before we go is ponchos with hoods...I will try and see if I can find something waterproof. Did you have to go on an excursion to see those animals or were they just around?

Seriously, you are MUCH better of with hooded jackets. If it is windy,the wind grabs the poncho and starts flinging it up into your face, back over your shoulder, slapping you AND negating any waterproofing/rainproofing it might offer. If you want to be "budget", check on ebay. Seriously, if I'd had a poncho on in Ketchikan, I'd have ripped it off. It was Gale Force 8 winds, the rain was parallel to the ground. And when the ship is moving, it creates its own "wind" too.

We saw all but sea lions and orcas from the ship (others saw orcas), but really saw LOTS of sea lions and whales on the whale watch we did. Seeing a whale from close to the water is SUBSTANTIALLY better than seeing one from aboard a cruise ship. :) The whale watch operators know where to go to see the whales, and take you to them.

Oh, and we saw a bear swimming in Glacier Bay. So we did see a bear, but thank goodness it was far away :)

You might want to still take a small umbrella, and have someone hold it over you when you are taking photos.

For some reason, cameras DO NOT LIKE TO GET WET. They rust and do not work properly.

It would be a shame to be in Alaska and not be able to take photos.

We went May 10th of '99 Southbound from Seward. So unfortunately missed Denali. I was going to fly into Anchorage a few days early then catch the ship, but my TA advised me it would do me no good as Denali wouldn't be open then. So I missed it that first trip.

Made my second trip in Aug '07. Decided on a HAL cruisetour that included Denali. It was an awesom trip and much better weather than May. It was still cold, and we had a little rain, but May was bitter cold and torrential rain.

You just have to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws your way.

We went May 5, 2008 on the NCL Star.

Yes, it was cold, dress in layers and a waterproof parka is your best bet. We went to Burlington coat factory about this time last year for jackets. (We lived in Florida for 12 years, so we didnt have cold weather gear). I got a really nice, lightweight down, waterproof jacket with a hood for $29! DH got one for $39! Don't wait too long to go shopping, they will be out of coats as you get closer to your sailing.

We didnt experience very much rain at all...a little in Prince Rupert.

We loved Skagway...took the White Pass Railway...georgous scenery! We went to the Red Onion Saloon for lunch-cute!

There was a Park Service-run theater in town that showed a movie telling the story of the Gold Rush-very interesting and FREE!

Whale watching was great...only saw two whales, but saw many Bald Eagles and tons of Seals!! Very cool!

Salmon bake was yummy! I got to toast marshmellows by the fire while drinking an Alaska Beer!!! Got to pet the Alaskan Husky type dog, who really wanted to drink some of my beer! He was so cute.

Misty Fjords and Wilderness Adventure was full of spectacular sights...but it was windy and COLD!!! Hats, gloves, scarves a must!

Have a wonderful time...you will love it!

Seriously, you are MUCH better of with hooded jackets. If it is windy,the wind grabs the poncho and starts flinging it up into your face, back over your shoulder, slapping you AND negating any waterproofing/rainproofing it might offer. If you want to be "budget", check on ebay. Seriously, if I'd had a poncho on in Ketchikan, I'd have ripped it off. It was Gale Force 8 winds, the rain was parallel to the ground. And when the ship is moving, it creates its own "wind" too.

We saw all but sea lions and orcas from the ship (others saw orcas), but really saw LOTS of sea lions and whales on the whale watch we did. Seeing a whale from close to the water is SUBSTANTIALLY better than seeing one from aboard a cruise ship. :) The whale watch operators know where to go to see the whales, and take you to them.

Oh, and we saw a bear swimming in Glacier Bay. So we did see a bear, but thank goodness it was far away :)

Thank you for the advice, which port did you do the whale watching in?

You might want to still take a small umbrella, and have someone hold it over you when you are taking photos.

For some reason, cameras DO NOT LIKE TO GET WET. They rust and do not work properly.

It would be a shame to be in Alaska and not be able to take photos.

We went May 10th of '99 Southbound from Seward. So unfortunately missed Denali. I was going to fly into Anchorage a few days early then catch the ship, but my TA advised me it would do me no good as Denali wouldn't be open then. So I missed it that first trip.

Made my second trip in Aug '07. Decided on a HAL cruisetour that included Denali. It was an awesom trip and much better weather than May. It was still cold, and we had a little rain, but May was bitter cold and torrential rain.

You just have to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws your way.

That's true about the cameras...specially nice expensive cameras!

I'm sorry to hear that you missed the part. It doesn't start til June? Or just later May?

That's always great to hear....I guess will just have to try to prepare ourselve as much as we possibly can.

We went May 5, 2008 on the NCL Star.

Yes, it was cold, dress in layers and a waterproof parka is your best bet. We went to Burlington coat factory about this time last year for jackets. (We lived in Florida for 12 years, so we didnt have cold weather gear). I got a really nice, lightweight down, waterproof jacket with a hood for $29! DH got one for $39! Don't wait too long to go shopping, they will be out of coats as you get closer to your sailing.

We didnt experience very much rain at all...a little in Prince Rupert.

We loved Skagway...took the White Pass Railway...georgous scenery! We went to the Red Onion Saloon for lunch-cute!

There was a Park Service-run theater in town that showed a movie telling the story of the Gold Rush-very interesting and FREE!

Whale watching was great...only saw two whales, but saw many Bald Eagles and tons of Seals!! Very cool!

Salmon bake was yummy! I got to toast marshmellows by the fire while drinking an Alaska Beer!!! Got to pet the Alaskan Husky type dog, who really wanted to drink some of my beer! He was so cute.

Misty Fjords and Wilderness Adventure was full of spectacular sights...but it was windy and COLD!!! Hats, gloves, scarves a must!

Have a wonderful time...you will love it!

We are going to start all our shopping this week, we need the right shoes too, what kind of footwear would you say is best?

Thanks for the advice, free is in our vocabulary!!!

Was the Salmon Bake at a certain port or with a certain tour company? That sounds like fun!

The topic of cameras -

We've found a plastic baggie works wonders to protect our point&shoot camera from the weather. Unzip it enough to clear the lens, point, shoot, and rezip. You do want to be careful to point away from the rain so no water gets into the baggie. We've never had a problem.

We are May cruisers, but the earliest we've sailed has been May 20th. Mt. Roberts was still covered in snow, so hiking there was out. Klondike Highway drive was misty, and the beautiful landscape of Tormented Valley was covered in snow. Otherwise, we enjoy May since the snow-covered mountains make for beautiful scenic sailing.

The topic of cameras -

We've found a plastic baggie works wonders to protect our point&shoot camera from the weather. Unzip it enough to clear the lens, point, shoot, and rezip. You do want to be careful to point away from the rain so no water gets into the baggie. We've never had a problem.

We are May cruisers, but the earliest we've sailed has been May 20th. Mt. Roberts was still covered in snow, so hiking there was out. Klondike Highway drive was misty, and the beautiful landscape of Tormented Valley was covered in snow. Otherwise, we enjoy May since the snow-covered mountains make for beautiful scenic sailing.

Thanks for the tip about the baggie for the camera.

We have never been to Alaska before but I really wanted to go in May to see the snow on the mountains. When I think of Alaska that is what I think about. I know it will be chilly, but I will be prepared. If we see the sun or get a warm day that will be a bonus, but I'm not counting on it.

Can't wait until May!

The one most important thing I can tell you sailing in your timeframe, is to have the proper attire and be well prepared. It will make all the difference. Necessary, have a good pair of WIDE angle binoculars. You will have the opportunity for some excellent humpback sightings due to the migration on your northbound segment. Dixon Passage is a real hot spot to consider spending time out front for.

I do have to say, that the Pearl has some pretty poor deck viewing space, overall. Other ships are definately better, so a negative in my opinion, IF you have a balcony or outside, it really is important you have the port side, IF you don't want to get yourself out on deck.

The topic of cameras -

That's a good idea as well, I wonder if they sell some sort of waterproof plastic for my camera.

That's what I thought, yeah it's early and cold but i'm not interested in going to Alaska for the beach...the snow covered mountains will be just beautiful.

The one most important thing I can tell you sailing in your timeframe, is to have the proper attire and be well prepared. It will make all the difference. Necessary, have a good pair of WIDE angle binoculars. You will have the opportunity for some excellent humpback sightings due to the migration on your northbound segment. Dixon Passage is a real hot spot to consider spending time out front for.

I do have to say, that the Pearl has some pretty poor deck viewing space, overall. Other ships are definately better, so a negative in my opinion, IF you have a balcony or outside, it really is important you have the port side, IF you don't want to get yourself out on deck.

Dixon passage? When do we usually pass that?

No we don't have a balcony...will be trying to walk all around deck, do you think it's better to be at the top deck or that other outside deck where the tenders are....(i'm 4'11) so I don't want something to big in front of me because then I won't see or be able to take pictures...what are your thoughts?

That's a good idea as well, I wonder if they sell some sort of waterproof plastic for my camera.

That's what I thought, yeah it's early and cold but i'm not interested in going to Alaska for the beach...the snow covered mountains will be just beautiful.

REI sells two different waterproof camera bags -- Aquapac and Dry Pak. I've been looking at the Aquapac for our Alaska trip. You can shoot pictures right through the plastic. One of my co-workers had pictures he took while snorkeling with one of these bags. They looked really nice.

This is what I used and it worked great. Both of our small boat excursions were on rainy days, so this was a camera saver. I got many comments on how smart i was.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/

REI sells two different waterproof camera bags -- Aquapac and Dry Pak. I've been looking at the Aquapac for our Alaska trip. You can shoot pictures right through the plastic. One of my co-workers had pictures he took while snorkeling with one of these bags. They looked really nice.

Something like this???

http://www.rei.com/product/752136

I found it cheaper....I just have to see if my camera would fit in there.

http://www.riverbum.com/Aquapac-Compact-Waterproof-Camera-Case/?iorb=4764&utm_source=Yahoo&utm_medium=SSP&utm_campaign=BROI

Now this is interesting, we're sure going to have to try it out...thank you!

It states it is for cameras without a zoom lens, so give it some thought before your buy one.

I still like just standing under a store front or having my husband hold the umbrella over me.

Dixon passage? When do we usually pass that?

No we don't have a balcony...will be trying to walk all around deck, do you think it's better to be at the top deck or that other outside deck where the tenders are....(i'm 4'11) so I don't want something to big in front of me because then I won't see or be able to take pictures...what are your thoughts?

Forget the top deck for Glacier Bay, you won't have a prayer of any picture taking, park yourself early port side on the open lower deck (7??) Any other time, you will have plenty of space, since overall FEW people spend any amount of time out on deck.

There isn't going to be a "time" for Dixon Passage, you need to get the timing from the bridge for an estimate, and frankly, you are best to budget a LOT of time on each side of that, several hours. (request the information via the purser) Dixon Passage is south of Ketchikan and north of Vancouver Island.

Forget the top deck for Glacier Bay, you won't have a prayer of any picture taking, park yourself early port side on the open lower deck (7??) Any other time, you will have plenty of space, since overall FEW people spend any amount of time out on deck.

There isn't going to be a "time" for Dixon Passage, you need to get the timing from the bridge for an estimate, and frankly, you are best to budget a LOT of time on each side of that, several hours. (request the information via the purser) Dixon Passage is south of Ketchikan and north of Vancouver Island.

Thank you for all the tips..I will surely keep them in mind that way I can get the best.

Archived