RCL's Earnings Tumble

yogimax

Not sure where your info is coming from. This is what yahoo finance says - big difference!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RCL

The link you provided has a link to the data that the OP quoted:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. said Thursday that fourth-quarter earnings tumbled 98 percent, missing Wall Street's expectations. The drop reflected a sharp drop in cruise bookings, higher-than-expected fuel costs and unfavorable foreign exchange rates.

For the quarter ended Dec. 31, net income fell to $1.4 million, or 1 cent per share, from $70.8 million, or 33 cents per share, a year ago.

It seems a bit suspicious that everyone is urging us to sell RCI stock now when it is spiraling downward. We bought it at about $35 per share and we plan on keeping it until the time that it is at or above $35. It's sure to rebound eventually. Have patience everyone.

Maybe yes, Maybe No

I just have to laugh at all those who were telling CC Members to buy the stock in the 40s to get the shareholder credit.

That, and all that bought after coming to a message board to get their expert tips on the art of stock buying. All the cc brokers have now added OBC to their framed diplomas hanging on the wall.lol

Maybe yes, Maybe No

I just have to laugh at all those who were telling CC Members to buy the stock in the 40s to get the shareholder credit.

No maybe's about it, this stock is a dawg. Maybe one day people will educate themselves and learn to purchase stocks on strength, not weakness.

It seems a bit suspicious that everyone is urging us to sell RCI stock now when it is spiraling downward. We bought it at about $35 per share and we plan on keeping it until the time that it is at or above $35. It's sure to rebound eventually. Have patience everyone.

Something to think about,agood return for any stock is 10% so at RCCL's price if it returned 10% it would take you maybe 20 years to get up to your 35.

Wow, that is a pretty serious loss of revenue. How did their 4th qtr earnings compare with Carnival's?

To keep up with Carnival's stock quotes, here's a good link from Market Watch:

http://www.marketwatch.com/quotes/ccl

also MSN marketwatch:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/stock_quote?Symbol=RCL

Carnival 4th quarter:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10454003/1/carnivals-fourth-quarter-earnings-gain-4.html?puc=IBS&cm_ven=IBS

There are several good, reliable websites where you can watch your favorite cruiseline stock. Marketwatch.com is a good one...but there are others.

Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately there is a very realistic chance that it drifts down towards $1 (or less) and never recovers.

Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately there is a very realistic chance that it drifts down towards $1 (or less) and never recovers.

The main problems will be access to the credit markets and overcapacity. Whether it goes to $1 is problematic. My guess is that it will hover in the $5-$10 range for the next quarter. But hey, don't listen to me!

Unless one decides to cost average out the stock, but that is an individual decision.

Dollar cost averaging can work in the long run. The problem is when the stock never recovers and continues its downward spiral. I'm sure owners of General Motors and others are now pulling out their hair because they decided the stock couldn't go any lower. Well, it did!

What are the risk of RCL going under? I will only start to get worried or concern when NCL goes under. After all, the weakest tends to go first, and I think NCL is the weakest of all the cruise companies right now. Their parents Stars is not doing well in Asia, and there were numerous report that say their other parent Appollo Management have taken a beating due to the financial melt down.

In fact, I just bought some RCL shares this morning. Though, to be fair, I did sold all of it 20 minutes later with a tidy profit. :D I suppose right now is the time to get greedy as others are fearful. :) But apparently I'm not greedy as I would have made more money if I were to hold it for another 30 minutes.

It is certainly a matter of concern but more so for the executives at the cruiseline and all of the other lines than it is for us, who can do little to effect the outcome. Perhaps everyone could go out and book another cruise to help their bottom line, but I'm not sure many of us are in a position financially at this time, to do so. About all we can do is sit back and watch events as they occur. Things will eventually improve but who knows what damage will occur in the interim?:confused:

Maybe yes, Maybe No

Ugggg, you are so right and there were a few of us trying to tell folks not to buy just for the OBC. The statements by a few that said they made their investment back through OBC lit up many here thinking this was a no brainer. Unfortunately for the very few that may have broke even getting OBC because they bought at a lower price, I'm sure there are many more here that bought at a higher price scratching their heads now.

What's really, I don't want to say funny, let's say interesting, is that there is so much emotion around these cruise lines. I mean, people actually argue over which one is best, or if someone says anything negative, the defenders come out in strength to protect the faith. The emotion is so ridiculous. Is it any wonder that many here have made the "cardinal sin" of buying stock. That sin being buying on emotion.

I also saw someone mentioning averaging down (buying additional stock at a lower price to effectively lower your total average cost). Again, it's possible but it can back fire. The old analagy of catching a falling knife comes to mind.

By the way, I still don't understand someone saying they are so far under they will hold it even if it goes to zero. I just don't understand it. I've always had a stop loss order for any position I take. But then again, if someone made a "cardinal sin" in buying, why would they stop there. They will also make the "cardinal sin" of holding until the very end.

But hey, it's "my" cruiseline.

I don't feel so stupid now for my post a couple of weeks ago, 'is now a good time to by RCI stock'? A few said it was to late, some even made me feel stupid... Who's laughing now! ;)

I'm not going to call you stupid. What I would say is stupid is asking that question on a cruise message board, an RCI one at that.

I'm not going to call you stupid. What I would say is stupid is asking that question on a cruise message board, an RCI one at that.

I guess I'm the only smart one then, for asking such a question.. and brave.... I don't feel nor look so foolish now!

Archived