take passports off the ship?

me&2kids

We are cruising to Mexico next week (yeah!). So here's my question... when we get off the ship in port, do we need to take our passports with us (just in case we miss the ship) or leave them in the safe (to keep from losing them)? If I took them with me, I'd keep them in a money belt or fanny pack. If I left them behind, I'd carry copies on me.

What do you normally do?

Thank you!

Let me start off by saying that you are going to get lots of answers; half will say leave the passport on the ship and half will say take it with you. Each person does what they think is best.

My wife and I cruise often and have cruised on itineraries around the world.

On most of the cruise lines we sail with the cruise line holds the passport so for us we don't take the passport. But, if we were on a ship that did not hold the passport we would leave it in the safe.

Yes, you could be someplace and miss the ship and then you would have to get a new passport. We do bring a copy with us so that in the event something like that happened it would help facilitate getting a new passport. The copy is certainly not official but just helps.

You could take the passport with you but you run the risk of losing it or having stolen.

Personally, I think there is a much higher probablitly of losing or having the passport stolen than missing the ship, so for us it is a no brainer. The passport stays on the ship.

I also do not recommend wearing much of any jewelry in ports except for a simple watch.

And, we leave most of our money and cards on the ship and take just one card and some money with us and I usually wear it in a wallet that goes under my shirt.

Again, there is no agreement on this issue and just like many things in life there is no right or wrong as to the answer to this question.

Keith

We are cruising to Mexico next week (yeah!). So here's my question... when we get off the ship in port, do we need to take our passports with us (just in case we miss the ship) or leave them in the safe (to keep from losing them)? If I took them with me, I'd keep them in a money belt or fanny pack. If I left them behind, I'd carry copies on me.

What do you normally do?

Thank you!

We always carry our passports with us. Our most recent experience was that our passports were required to re-enter the port area after returning from an excursion. I am sure this varies by port but why take a chance?

Some cruise lines take your passport and lock them up for the entire cruise. If the cruise line doesn't feel you need your passport off the ship, then I don't take mine with me. I do carry a color copy of the information page of the passport.

In all my cruises all over the world, there are only three places that required you have your passport with you when you left the ship. Those countries are Russia, Vietnam and Sri Lanka. I've been to every port of call in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, and not one required to see your passport when returning to the ship. As long as you have a driver's license and your ship's card, you CAN get back on the ship without a passport.

PowderSpringsDad, what port required a passport? Seeing that passports aren't required for a cruise in the Caribbean or Mexico, how can a port require a passport to get back on the ship? Most US passengers don't even have passports and only use birth certificates as their proof of citizenship.

Some cruise lines take your passport and lock them up for the entire cruise. If the cruise line doesn't feel you need your passport off the ship, then I don't take mine with me. I do carry a color copy of the information page of the passport.

In all my cruises all over the world, there are only three places that required you have your passport with you when you left the ship. Those countries are Russia, Vietnam and Sri Lanka. I've been to every port of call in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, and not one required to see your passport when returning to the ship. As long as you have a driver's license and your ship's card, you CAN get back on the ship without a passport.

PowderSpringsDad, what port required a passport? Seeing that passports aren't required for a cruise in the Caribbean or Mexico, how can a port require a passport to get back on the ship? Most US passengers don't even have passports and only use birth certificates as their proof of citizenship.

I could be wrong in my recollection but I think that Isla St. Marguerita wanted to see our passports. I do carry mine regardless just to be certain that if I need it, I have it.

I could be wrong in my recollection but I think that Isla St. Marguerita wanted to see our passports. I do carry mine regardless just to be certain that if I need it, I have it.

We were there and didn't need to show any ID to get back on the ship..... well except our cruise card to get ON the ship - not back into the port area.

Passports will not be needed in Mexico until June unless one is flying there. So, don't think it was a port in Mexico.

We have only had to carry our passports in three countries over the years as well. One was just imposed for a month. And we have been to lots of places around the world.

Keith

I depends on the port for me...in San Juan, St. Thomas or other US ports, I leave the passport in the safe.

More often though, I'll take it with me. I figure it would do me no good for it to be in the safe if the ships sails away without me. You just never know what might happen.

we had to show our passports to reboard at Cozumel, Mexico. They compare your passport photo with you and then compare the name on the cruise card with the name on the passport.

There's a lot of hassle if you haven't got the passport with you

Passports will not be needed in Mexico until June unless one is flying there. So, don't think it was a port in Mexico.

We have only had to carry our passports in three countries over the years as well. One was just imposed for a month. And we have been to lots of places around the world.

Keith

Sorry Keith. You're usually spot on... but you missed this one. Isla St. Marguerita is in Venezuela. But I agree with you about Mexico. :)

Keith

we needed photo ID in Cozumel recently. [!0th Jan and week of 17th Jan 09]

I said passports in a post further up but I meant photo ID. The ship announces it before the trip ashore anyway

we needed photo ID in Cozumel recently. [!0th Jan and week of 17th Jan 09]

I said passports in a post further up but I meant photo ID. The ship announces it before the trip ashore anyway

Yes, photo ID makes sense. Last year when we were on a world cruise we only needed a photo government ID in a few ports, and two of those ports were part of Hawaii.

Thanks for clarifying.

Keith

Sorry Keith. You're usually spot on... but you missed this one. Isla St. Marguerita is in Venezuela. But I agree with you about Mexico. :)

Thank you. I hadn't realized this island was in Venezuela. Don't think we've been there before. Thank you for pointing this out.

Keith

You will probably never need your passport in port. I just returned from a cruise to Hawaii and Mexico and both required an official photo ID along with the cruise card to get back into the port. terminal, security, and the ship.

That being said there would be a major problem if you got injured while in a foreign port. They would not be able to fly you home without a passport and it can take a week or two for a replacement.

Looking at the odds it is probably more likely that a passport will be lost or stolen than you going to a hospital. At least if lost or stolen the cruise ship will return you home. If in a hospital you are stuck.

we had to show our passports to reboard at Cozumel, Mexico. They compare your passport photo with you and then compare the name on the cruise card with the name on the passport.

There's a lot of hassle if you haven't got the passport with you

You're a UK resident and the rules are different for non-US passengers.

You will probably never need your passport in port. I just returned from a cruise to Hawaii and Mexico and both required an official photo ID along with the cruise card to get back into the port. terminal, security, and the ship.

That being said there would be a major problem if you got injured while in a foreign port. They would not be able to fly you home without a passport and it can take a week or two for a replacement.

Not true about being injured and needing to fly home. I have first hand experience with this, and you can receive special circumstances in order to be medically evacuated off a ship without a passport.

me&2kids, depending on the age of your kids, they won't need a photo ID of any kind to get back on the ship. If they're younger than 16, all they will need is their ship sign and sail card to get back on board.

You're a UK resident and the rules are different for non-US passengers.

As I corrected myself further down the thread, it's not a passport it's photo ID everybody needs whether USA or UK. They don't know what you are just off the cruise card. It's the port that needs the stuff, the ship just needs the cruise card

me&2kids, depending on the age of your kids, they won't need a photo ID of any kind to get back on the ship. If they're younger than 16, all they will need is their ship sign and sail card to get back on board.

Actually it depends on the port as well. When we were in New Zealand my DD was just going to show the cruise cards for the 6 MO and the 3 YO, but the guy waited while she dug out their passports for the second piece of picture ID.

What do you normally do?

Thank you!

You'll get several differnt answes concerning this, so I'll just tell what we do. We always take our passport with us when getting off in port. Should I ever need it (and to date I haven't) I want it with me, not on the ship. :)

Just my $0.02 worth. :rolleyes:

Passport was required to enter the dock area in St. Thomas on Saturday, January 31, 2009. One guy in front of us didn't have it and they were in deep discussion as his was on the ship. His wife had hers with her and they eventually let them pass. Not sure what could have happened if she didn't either.

We decided to carry ours with us on the theory that it's better to have it and not need it than vice versa.

Archived