airline info - Turkish Air and Emirates Air

travbee

Does anyone have any experience with either of these airlines. We are flying out of Bangkok into Venice and back out of Rome to Bangkok in May. Turkish Air has the best prices by far but wondered if anyone has experience with them. Also Emirates Airport sounds like a real hassle. Is that true.

Thanks for any info and help.

Barbara

Don't know much about Turkish Airlines - but I think that ab0si has.

Emirates is OK. Grown a bit too fast, and service can now be a bit lacklustre (but still objectively pretty good). I am not fond of their 777s. They're 10-abreast in economy, which is a bit tight even if they partially make up for it by deeper pitch (therefore more legroom). Reportedly, the EK economy cabins on the flights between Dubai and the Far East tend to have a lot of people who come from the Far East but work in Dubai.

Personally, I think I would be looking to fly Thai non-stop to Rome, and then make my own way from Rome to Venice in one direction.

Turkish Airlines is a normal, reasonable airline, better than most, in fact. I would be happy to fly with them. That said, I have never flown economy class long haul with them.

As Globaliser suggests, flying into and out of Rome might well be a better choice. Unless the cost were significantly more, non-stop Thai would be my choice. I have not flown them recently, but they at least used to be a fine airline.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. We are checking into Thai RT Rome and then just adding probably Altalia o-w Rome to Venice. We have flown Thai a few times and they do have good service.

My choice would be to take the train from Rome to Venice. Train FCO -> Termini, change to fast ES train to Venice S.L. and arrive on the Grand Canal. that's just me, though. <grin>.

I can't remember if the train station is in the airport terminal and would we have to change trains somewhere to go on to Venice. Looks like maybe we could do this trip for about 185.00, or more doing 1st class. IF you have done this train trip could you tell me about it. Thanks.

Barbara

I can't remember if the train station is in the airport terminal and would we have to change trains somewhere to go on to Venice. Looks like maybe we could do this trip for about 185.00, or more doing 1st class. IF you have done this train trip could you tell me about it. Thanks.

Barbara

You take the train from the airport to the main train station in Rome (Termini). Then you change to the train to Venice (the first "Venice" station is Mestre; you want to next stop (Venice S.L.). Direct fast trains run teh Rome->Venice route every two hours during "normal" times.

FWIW, there is very little difference between 1st and 2nd class on these trains. The Venice S.L. station opens up on the Grand Canal. This has to be the best arrival vista in the world. :) From here, you can walk, take a water bus or, for serious money, take a water taxi to your hotel.

Thanks. This is what we will do. As soon as I get my flights finalized we will check into the train. I do think we probably have to get seat reservation on the ES train if that is correct. We were hesitant to book Alitalia Air as I have read bad reviews on them regarding lost luggages, airport strikes, etc. and of course they are in bad trouble, like most airlines I guess. We are staying in the Piazza Roma area of Venice so will just hop on water bus or taxi.

Always great info on these sites, thanks again.

Barbara

Yes, Italy has strikes. :)

Since the folks who do the Alitalia ground service also do it for many other airlines, if they are on strike, your luggage will likely be delayed regardless. Ditto air traffic controllers, etc.

While not the most complete site, this official Italian government site shows most of the upcoming transportation strikes:

http://www.trasporti.gov.it/page/NuovoSito/site.php?p=scioperi

It only lists the national and large regional strikes.. there are also local ones.

http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/ lists all upcoming (not just transportation) for Italy. You need a little Italian to figure it out; but if you know Spanish or remember your Latin, it is easy enough.

Yes, most ES trains require seat reservation.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these airlines. We are flying out of Bangkok into Venice and back out of Rome to Bangkok in May. Turkish Air has the best prices by far but wondered if anyone has experience with them. Also Emirates Airport sounds like a real hassle. Is that true.

Thanks for any info and help.

Barbara

Recently there have been letters to the travel editor here about how uncomfortable Emirates seats now are (? due to removal of footrests).

We flew Singapore Airlines direct to Malpensa Airport, Milan return in Nov/Dec and it was an excellent service.

We found Italian railways easy and inexpensive to use and a great way to see the countryside.

You should be walking distance from the train station to your accommodation.

Paul, I just wondered if you could give me any info on trains out of Milan to Venice. We can fly non-stop also from Bangkok to Milan and be that much closer to Venice and a shorter train trip. Thanks again,

Barbara

From Milan Malpensa it would be best to take the bus to the main train station (Milano Centrale) and then go straight from there to Venice Santa Lucia. It is about 45 minutes on the bus (depends on traffic) and 2:35 for the train (plus connection time. Frequent trains.

The train from Malpensa does NOT go to Centrale, but to another station. Trust me, it is easier to take the bus from the airport.

I'm sure you know this better than I do, but just in case .... the non-stop Thai Airways flight to Milano does not operate every day.

There is a useful site about getting from airports to cities ... http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/ It is not perfect nor perfectly up to date, but is a good place to start

Paul, did you mean you had flown Turkish Air business class. We are looking at them again since their business class is $2000.00+ cheaper than any of the others and also goes into Venice. It is a change of planes in Istanbul though. What do you know about that airport. I have told my husband that these tickets have to decided on and purchased by this weekend! Thanks again,

Barbara

Paul, did you mean you had flown Turkish Air business class. We are looking at them again since their business class is $2000.00+ cheaper than any of the others and also goes into Venice. It is a change of planes in Istanbul though. What do you know about that airport. I have told my husband that these tickets have to decided on and purchased by this weekend! Thanks again,

Barbara

I have flown into and out of Istanbul on Turkish Air in business class, but have never made a connection there. So, sorry, I can not make any comments about the transit experience.

I think they have all their long haul planes converted to the newer angled pod-beds. I am not a fan of these. I find it impossible to get comfortable when these beasties are fully extended and use them as a recliner seat, instead, for sleeping. For $2K, tho, I'd be willing to do so again. :)

I agree Paul, I do not like those angled pod beds and it seems most airlines are going to those in business class. I know you must think I am crazy but I just checked Qatar Airlines and they have a great prices, business class cheaper than even some coach fares on other airlines. Have you or anyone flown them? I know they are 5*. Most people do not like the airport in Doha though.

Archived