Anyone else have awesome hair on cruises?

AmberMarie

I have very almost babyfine hair but that does not mean it's thin, I use my own products, appliances from home and I get pancake flat hair with no volume because of the softness of the water. Haven't found a dressing to give body that I'm happy with yet. It's also hard to figure out what may work in soft water since we have hard water at home,:confused:

The thing I've found that increases the volume of my hair is...not using heat appliances. My hair goes flat as a board at the scalp and not in a good way if I use a curling iron or hot rollers. I use big round brushes while blow drying and allow them to cool before I remove them, kind of like a roller set. That and mousse and hair spray and root lift, no wonder I have to wash my hair every day!

I was a hair stylist for 15 years so I know how to blow dry my own hair. I've been to wonderful haircutters, but no one can get the body into my hair like I can. The typical info is that product will weigh down your hair, but this is not the case for me, I use enough that I feel like I have "second day hair". When I get my hair cut, the stylists go out of their way to blow dry my hair with volume and it is flat after an hour. I blow dry my hair in the morning and it stays full all day.

I'd love to have hair that can go more than a day without shampooing :(, my daughter has wonderful hair and she only shampoos every 3 days!

Stay away from any product that states it gives your hair shine and products that are used to soften the hair, like super conditioners. Also, keep the conditioner off your scalp (no one really needs to condition their scalp anyway). Usually a shampoo for your hair type and a conditioner more like a creme rinse is sufficient. I do use a volume leave in spray by TiGi, called Superstar and Paul Mitchell root boost, mousse and a clean hairspray with a light hold. Other than that I use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. I'm not sure of the brand I have right now, I go back and forth with a few.

A product line that I love but rarely use is Bumble and Bumble, I had good results with all their line. But alas, they do not sell "to the trade" in supply stores (not open to the public) and I have to pay full retail for them. I still keep my license after all these years so I'm able to shop for my husbands supplies, he's still in the hair business.

The thing I've found that increases the volume of my hair is...not using heat appliances.

I use a flat iron to smooth out any rebel hairs that stick out since I wear my hair straight, just a bit longer than chin length and turned under a bit. I find that if over use it, my hair is too flat so I just do a "top" layer.

That and mousse and hair spray and root lift, no wonder I have to wash my hair every day!

I've tried using mousse but didn't like how it felt, maybe I used too much. My problem is finding something that works on a cruise because I don't need anything at home.:confused:

I was a hair stylist for 15 years so I know how to blow dry my own hair. I've been to wonderful haircutters, but no one can get the body into my hair like I can.

Same here. I have the BEST hairstylist but I can get more body in it than he can.:) I blow dry my hair while I run my fingers through it until almost dry, then bend over and finish drying, flat iron the top layer, then curl under the ends...perfect.

Also, keep the conditioner off your scalp (no one really needs to condition their scalp anyway). Usually a shampoo for your hair type and a conditioner more like a creme rinse is sufficient.

Last cruise I found that if I used just the tiniest bit of creme rinse on the ends, my hair wasn't as flat. I guess I just have to keep experimenting but unfortunately, I have to do it on the cruise because I don't have problems at home. Thanks for your suggestions.:)

Hi Amber,

We have a Nikken shower head in both our bathrooms.

The filter in them removes all the clorine and here in Fl they also put ammonia in the water and all the other junk.

I can not say enough good things about this filter Love it.:)

Leigh

LOL, they don't put ammonia in the water :)

Ammonia and chlorine are a dangerous combination!

LOL, they don't put ammonia in Ammonia and chlorine are a dangerous combination!

Oh but sadly they do and people are not only drinking this stuff

But showering in it.

Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia and is a widely used drinking water disinfectant in North America,the water .:eek:

I use a flat iron to smooth out any rebel hairs that stick out since I wear my hair straight, just a bit longer than chin length and turned under a bit. I find that if over use it, my hair is too flat so I just do a "top" layer.

I've tried using mousse but didn't like how it felt, maybe I used too much. My problem is finding something that works on a cruise because I don't need anything at home.:confused:

I have only one or two brands that I like, many of them are just too heavy for my hair. I'm using Paul Mitchell now (probably for 3-4 years) and it doesn't ever feel icky in my hair, no matter how much I use.

Same thing with the Bumble and Bumble products, they are just "cleaner" than most out there. Perhaps it's worth a try :)

Same here. I have the BEST hairstylist but I can get more body in it than he can.:) I blow dry my hair while I run my fingers through it until almost dry, then bend over and finish drying, flat iron the top layer, then curl under the ends...perfect.

Last cruise I found that if I used just the tiniest bit of creme rinse on the ends, my hair wasn't as flat. I guess I just have to keep experimenting but unfortunately, I have to do it on the cruise because I don't have problems at home. Thanks for your suggestions.:)

You're welcome.

I have no explanation... but my hair is always awful on a cruise! I've even started bringing my own shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, and other essentials!

VB1

Mine, too! I think it's the combination of sun, salt water spray, chlorine (even if you are not in the pool, the spray is airborne) and very mild conditioner provided in the shower. Also- wind! My hair is a frizzy rat's nest on cruises. So... I bring very heavy duty conditioner and hope for the best!

I have been thinking about this thread...

I have curly/wavy hair. I always used to straighten it, but you know what? I like it better curly! It is less poofy and frizzy this way. Though I am wondering what it will look like on the ship. Getting a little nervous! I will be bringing plenty of product! ;)

This is the ONLY thing I don't like about cruising. My hair is horrible!! I have very fine, straight hair and the humidity and wind just kill it. I can wash, blow dry, fluff and within a couple of minutes of going outdoors it is flat and stringy. It isn't the soft water because we have soft water at home. I have tried humidity resistant products all to no avail. I end up having to wash and style my hair twice a day on cruises. Once in the morning before leaving the cabin and again in the evening before dinner. For dinner, we don't set foot outside on the way to the dining room, LOL.

Archived